‹ Prequel: You Never Know
Status: Work in Progress - i will try to update weekly if school allows

Starting Over

22. New Year’s Victory

22. New Year’s Victory

(Nicole’s POV)

I was sitting in my borrowed stall at Soldier Field, going through my pregame ritual; Stretches, taping, more stretches, before getting into my gear. I had my earbuds in to drown out the noise. Andy had been talking nonstop about the party – Chaunette had a great time apparently – and he insisted on thanking me another dozen times on the bus ride over.

Johnny was in a stall across the room – he was relaxed, joking with Kaner and Sharpie as he taped his stick.

I was just finishing my last stretch when I felt a tap on my shoulder. Looking up, I see Jim the Head of Media.

“What’s up Jim?” I ask as I pull out an earbud.
Jim, an older man in his sixties, gives me a kind smile, “I’m sorry to interrupt your pregame, but I need to talk to you and Jonathan.”

“Sure,” I say before climbing to my feet.

Jim motions for me to wait out in the hall as he goes over to grab Johnny. The two of us follow Jim down the hall to an office the Coaches were using. Coach Q and Rocky Wirtz were waiting inside.

“Ah, there they are. Thank you Jim for retrieving them,” Mr. Wirtz gives us a warm welcome.
Coach Q has his business face on, “Take a seat.”

I glance at Johnny to see if he knows what this importune meeting is about; his relaxed demeanor has changed – on the outside he looks void of emotion but I can see the serious, sharp focus behind his eyes. I also see that he doesn’t know what is going on but he has some idea – more than I do at the moment anyway.

“So,” Mr. Wirtz starts after we sit, “Everyone here knows about your relationship,” he points at the two of us, “And I hope you two know that we all support you both,” he pauses, dread starts to fill my insides and I know that a ‘but’ is coming, “But there are some outside of the organization who are…. Voicing come concerns.”

“Such as?” Johnny’s baritone voice asks before I can.

“They are worried that both of your performances could suffer,” Jim says.

“But they haven’t,” the words blurt out before I can stop them.

“We know that; we know that you have been seeing each other for several months now; and we know that the two of you recently moved in together,” Rocky states.

“Their stats are up and both of them are playing better than ever,” Coach Q cuts in.

I lean forward, “So what’s the problem?” I feel Johnny’s hand slide over mine and he squeezes softly, signaling for me to be quiet.

Jim answers my question, “We are concerned on how the fans will react to teammates dating; how the NHL as a whole will react. This has never happened before and we want to treat the situation with delicacy.”

I can feel the anger start to bubble up when Johnny says, “What do you suggest?”

The three men look at each other before Jim answers again, “We think the pair of you should give an official statement. A conference would be best; the media would be a select few; of course, we would expect the two of you to answer some questions but that comes with the territory. It is up to you two though.”

“Let’s do it then,” I say; I relax back into the chair – this I could handle.
“Jonathan?” Jim asks.

He nods in agreement.

“Excellent! I will have everything taken care of,” with that Jim exits the room.

Mr. Wirtz moves around the desk and shakes our hands, “I want you both to know that we do support you both. This organization will back you no matter what. Good luck tonight.”

When he leaves we both turn back to Coach Q; he still has a serious look on his face and gestures for us to sit again.

“I’m proud of you both for taking this step. It won’t be easy from here on out – understand that. Players on other teams will use this information against you on the ice. If either of you have a bad game or if the team has a bad game; the critics are going to point fingers, and they will be directed at you two.”

“I’m ready,” Johnny says, “If anything, this is long overdue; and those guys will have to deal with me if they decide use Nicole in a chirp.

I bump his arm, “I can take care of myself,” I give a smile so he knows I’m joking but I can’t help the warm feeling that washes over me.

“Believe me; I know,” Johnny chirps back.

A small smile has crept onto Coach’s face, “Alright you two; go finish getting ready. We have a game to win.”

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Johnny’s POV)

We exit the office and walk hand in hand back toward the locker room. Before we get there, I pull Nicole down a deserted hall. Pushing her against the wall, my lips crash down on hers in a searing kiss.

I pull away moments later and press my forehead to hers, “Are you okay?”

Nicole brushes her hands lightly across my cheeks, one snakes around to my neck, “I am now,” I can hear and see the smile.

“You weren’t though,” I state.

Nicole’s smile drops, “I was worried they were going to say that we couldn’t see each other; that they were willing to trade me if they saw fit.”

My grip tighten on her hips as I press myself closer, “You’re not going anywhere; I would never let them.”

Nicole presses a chaise kiss against my lips, “I know; but the thought crossed my mind,” she pauses before asking, “Are you okay?”

A smile spreads across my features, “All long as I have you.”
“Always.”

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Nicole’s POV)

The guys had questioned us when we came back from our surprise meeting. I explained what Rocky and Jim had wanted, about the news conference and what Coach Q had said. The guys were supportive of our decision, several offered to be at the conference for support and all made threats if a player decided to chirp me. The reactions sent that warm feeling back through me.

Soon we were called to line up in the hall; the Pens were already lined and waiting as we filed out. I said a quick hello to the players I knew; Duper broke rank to give me a hug.

The cold wind stings my eyes, bringing tears that freeze instantly. It had snowed heavily all day; starting just after midnight. I can hear the roar of the crowd as it reverberates through the stadium. The rink resembles a snow globe as it continues to snow heavily.

The sea of red and black jerseys cheers louder as both teams take the ice. I make a couple of laps, shoot on Crow, before finding my section of ice to do some stick handling.

“You ready to lose today?” I look up and see Jordan towering over me from his side of the line.
“Are you talking to yourself again Jordie? You know they have people that can help you with that,” I chirp the blonde man.

Jordan gives me a pained look, “You wound me, Nic. What would mother say?”
I laugh, “Mama Staal loves me.”

Jordan shakes his head, “Yeah, true; but I’m still her favorite.”
“You and the boys up for a drink after?” I question.

“Loser buys?” he tosses back.

A whistle blows before I can respond and Jordan skates away laughing. I make my way over to the bench but stay on the ice since my line is starting. Coach Q goes over our starting plays, then we all line up for the anthems – kids dressed in warm gear and jerseys join both starting lines.

During the first period, it was nearly impossible to see. The snow was falling heavily; play was stopped several times for the ice crew to clear the drifts. Both teams were having a hard time moving the puck up the ice; it was 0-0 at the end of the first.

The second started with Johnny’s line on the ice. Coach Q had wanted Johnny to be paired against Sidney during the game to slow him down; and so far the plan was working. I could tell that Sid was getting frustrated the longer the game went. The Pens kept trying to move the puck up and down the ice but it kept getting lost in the snow drifts.

We were having better progress moving the puck laterally down the ice; then Johnny scored in three quick successions. The second ended with us up 3-0.

The Pens got on the board in the third with one goal. Duncs and Saader scored once each to bring the final score 5-1; I managed two points with assist on the last two goals.

The game ended, fireworks were shot, and both teams lined up to shake hands. I paused long enough to give my old team mates a hug as they passed.

“Great game, Sid,” I say as I hug my old captain.
“We’ll get you in Pitt,” Sidney responded with some humor before skating off.

I meet my team at center ice, Johnny throws an arm over my shoulder as we raise our sticks in salute to the crowd before exiting the rink.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Johnny’s POV)

The media scrum was in and out of the locker room in record time today. As captain, I know to look forward to answering questions after every game – it came with the territory. A few of the guys were favorites and were often interviewed also; Kaner and Sharpie were two to name. Nicole had become a recent favorite; particularly today with us playing her old team.

I walk over to Nicole’s stall; she’s looking down at her phone as I approach.

“So where too now?” I ask, gaining her attention.
Nicole’s dark eyes meet mine, “I told the guys to meet at Gypsy.”

I raise an eyebrow, “Is this all-inclusive or a Penguins only thing?”
Nicole wraps her arms around my waist and meets my eyes, “Everyone’s invited; including you.”
“Sounds like fun,” I say before leaning in for a kiss.

Nicole meets me half way; what was supposed to be an innocent kiss quickly turns heated. I pick the petite brunette up and she wraps her legs around my waist, her hands tangle my hair. Blood rushes south as Nicole moans into my mouth.

“WOAH! Get a room!” I groan as Corey’s voice rings across the room.

Nicole giggles and disentangles herself from me, “What’s up Crow?”

“I was voted to come find you two; now I see why no one volunteered,” Corey gives us a cheeky grin before leaving.

Nicole turns and offers her hand, “To be continued?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know what you guys think!