‹ Prequel: You Never Know
Status: Work in Progress - i will try to update weekly if school allows

Starting Over

29. (All Star Composition Day Five Part II)

(All Star Composition Part II)

The stadium was rocking as the players lined up down the hall. Nicole was near the end – Sidney behind her and Geno last because, well, it’s Geno. Nicole watched the group in front – various guys bouncing with too much pent energy, others shifting from one foot to the other as they spoke among themselves.

Nic feels a tap on her shoulder and turns to look at the pair behind her.
“Ready?” Geno asks with a nod toward the ice.

Nicole gives him a smile, “Almost like old times,” she says before bumping knuckles with the Russian.
Tanger turns and smirks, “You are in the wrong colors though.”

“I think she looks great in red,” a familiar deep voice states.
“Of course you do,” Geno chirps.

Johnny smiles as the Hawks of the away team take their place. The PR comes by and gives a two minute warning.

“You boys ready to lose?” Nicole taunts, giving Duncan a small shove.
He laughs and pushes back, nearly knocking her over, “Keep dreaming, Nova.”

“No way you guys are winning, Super Star,” Crow chirps as he passes them in order to stand with the other goalies.

The guys filter out on the ice as Nicole straightens.

“Nova?” Sidney asks.
Nic shrugs, “Sharpie,” is all she offers as an explanation.

“You make Talbo jealous stealing name,” Geno chirps.

Sidney bumps her, “For what it’s worth; it’s nice to have you on our side – even if you are wearing red.”

Nicole smiles and bumps the captain back, “Thanks.”
She’s next to step onto the ice; but turns just in time to see the two Pen’s do their signature shake.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Speed Competition)

“Good evening, hockey fans and welcome to the 2010 NHL All Star Competition! Players from around the league have come to show their skills in speed, strength, accuracy, and showmanship. We have six competitions – Fastest Skater, Accuracy Shooting, Hardest Shot, Breakaway Challenge, Skills Challenge Relay, and finally the Shootout. Three players from each team have been selected by the Captains to participate in each competition.

Up first is the Speed Competition – the away team has chosen – from the Toronto Maple Leafs – PHIL KESSEL! And for your home team – from the Boston Bruins – TYER SEGUIN!”

Phil Kessel, Claude Giroux, and Aaron Ekblad had been selected by the away team – Tyler Seguin, Nicole Green, and Kris Latang for the home team.

The two players skate to the middle of the ice – Phil receiving booing from the fans, but waves good-naturedly, Tyler receives cheering that makes his whole features light up.

“I think they like you, Phil,” Tyler chirps the player in white.

Phil chuckles, “Yeah, let’s give them something to cheer for, eh?”

The two players part to their respective lines. The linesman raises his hand and the pair get set. The whistle blows, sending the two skater streaking forward down the first line. Phil and Tyler round the opposite corners and race down the final stretch – they cross at nearly the same moment causing the crowd to go wild.

“Not too bad, eh?” Phil asked as he skated next to Tyler.
Tyler smirked and looked at the screen where the replay was being shown, “I think they got their money’s worth.”

“After video review, the winner of the first round, and the recipient of the first point, Phil Kessel!”
The crowd boos once again, but the players from both teams tap the ice in support. Tyler knocks against Phil’s shoulder and gives him a wink before skating away.

The announcer calls for Nicole and Claude to skate out, sending the crowd into another fit of cheering and chanting for the ex-Pen. Claude gives Nicole a smile and bows slightly as she skates past – Nic rolls her eyes at the camera and gets set on the line.

The line man gives the signal and sends the pair off down the first straight. They round the turn and sprint down the ice; as they round the second turn – Claude loses his balance and nearly falls, but recovers. It’s too late however, Nicole crosses the finish line several strides ahead of the Flyer.

“You got lucky, belle,” Claude calls out as he skates past.
Nicole shrugs, “hater!” she calls out with a laugh.

Nicole goes to skate back to her line, but Pierre pulls her aside, “Nicole, that was a great show of speed out there; how have you been enjoying your first All Star Break?”

Nicole smiles, “It’s been fun so far – it’s been a great opportunity to get to know some of the guys from around the league.”

“Now, I saw Claude give you a bow before the round – can you tell me what that was about?”
“That’s just Claude being Claude,” Nicole answers with a laugh.

“Alright, Nicole, go join your team.”
“Thanks Pierre.”

Kris took the third round without any issue – Aaron on the other hand had blown a tire and went skidding into the boards. He was fine – only his pride was hurt – and his team had new chirping material. Sidney’s team was leading after the first round.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Accuracy Shooting)

The ice was cleaned and set for the accuracy shooting competition. Johnny and Sid could be seen talking quickly with their respective alternates, finalizing plans.

Johnny’s team chose the Captain from Carolina – Eric Staal – he had been in this competition before and had done well. Brent Burns and Aaron Ekblad would feed the pucks to the shooters on the away team.

Sidney’s team chose the young gun from the Stars’ organization – Jamie Benn. His team cheered loudly as the young man gingerly skated to the line – a light blush creeping across his features. Erik Karlsson and Ryan Suter would be feeding the pucks for all three rounds to the home team.

The two men lined up facing their targets. The whistle sounded and the pucks flew. Eric hit the top right, Jamie hit the bottom left; they both hit the top left and bottom right. Eric missed his fourth shot. Jamie hit his last target, going four-for-four in just over ten seconds – gaining the point for the home team.

Next came Sidney against Nicklas Backstrom. The whistle sounded and pucks flew. The two players matched shot for shot, going four-for-four. The refs gathered after the final targets fell to see who finished with the fastest time. All eyes turned to the overhead screen to await the announcement.
Sidney had skated to center ice to stand next to Nick and the two could be seen talking together. The announcement was made and both teams cheered; but Ovi could be heard above the noise – Nick had won with 11.019 – a tenth of a second faster than Sid’s time.

The third round had Toews vs. Kane – a set many fans had hoped for and one that sent the cheering crowd to a new decibel. The two men set up at their lines. The whistle sounded but only Patrick reacted. He went four-for-four, beating Jamie’s time with a 9.878.

The home team was cheering wildly as the away stood in confusion. Johnny turned and started arguing with the ref – sending the man to confer with the others. The group decided that a redo was needed – which caused the crowd to boo.

Patrick could be seen laughing at his Blackhawks captain before shrugging and skating back to the line. The two reset and started again; but, Johnny – now ready – won with five shots over Patrick’s six.

Pierre called both players over, “So guys, what happened?”
“I guess this guy didn’t like the outcome of the first round and demanded a redo,” Patrick jumped to answer.

“No, I couldn’t hear the whistle, it’s so loud in here,” Johnny defended.
Patrick gave him a sly grin, “Maybe you should have your ears checked then, because I heard it just fine.”

“That’s okay; everyone knows the first was a fluke,” Johnny chirped back.

“Please, that was the only way you could beat me and you know it,” Patrick said; giving Johnny a small shove.

Pierre was loving the exchange but had to go to commercial, “Alright guys, Johnny congratulations on the win and thank you both for doing this.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Breakaway Challenge, Skills Challenge Relay, Hardest Shot, Shootout)

Team Toews’ won Breakaway challenge with Ovi, Vladimir Tarasenko, and Brent Burns. The Alex took the fan vote with 40 percent.

Team Crosby won the Skills Challenge - Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin, James Neal, Max Talbot, Erik Karlsson and Gabriel Landeskog being the group with the fastest time.

The Hardest shot had Steven Stamkos, Evgeni Malkin, Mike Green, and Zdeno Chara on team Crosby. Team Toews’ chose Henrik Zetterberg, Drew Doughty, Duncan Keith and Shea Weber.

The groups went one at a time – each player hitting in the mid – to –upper nineties. The audience cheered louder as the speeds climbed. The fastest speeds moved to the next round until only Chara and Weber were left. The veteran players squared off as cameras flash for the last shot.

Weber went first – hitting an astounding 108.5 – the crowd cheered wildly as the players buzzed about the speed.

As the crowd calmed, Chara got set. He skated up and sent the puck flying – 108.8. It was a new record and the winning speed. Weber skated over and congratulated the Bruin before skating back to his own bench.

Jakub Voracek, Patrick Kane, Nicole Green, and Steven Stamkos are chosen for the shootout for Team Crosby and Alex Ovechkin, Claude Giroux, Vladimir Tarasenko, and John Tavares are chosen for Team Toews’. All six goalies change out for the three rounds.

All eight show off some of their fancier moved during the first – going between their legs, multiple stickhandles and deeks. The goalies put on a good show, Pekka Rinne over-exaggerates a dive when Nic bumps him which sends the crowd into a fit of laughter - Eddie attempts to stop Girroux while facing backwards.

The second round pucks start to fly as the moves become more extreme – Stamkos plays baseball with one puck; Tarasenko tosses the puck up on his blade nine times before flipping the puck over Luongo’s glove, then snapping a selfie with the goalie.

The third round Patrick brings out a superman cape, Ovi finds someone’s shades and a pink feather boa, and John T. brings out one of the equipment managers’ kids to score on Henrik.

Corey was in net and waited patiently for the fallowing scene to take place. The lights dim to near darkness as Nicole skates to center for her third and last attempt to gain points for the victory. The first notes Rev Theory’s Hell Yeah started playing. As soon as the chorus hits – the lights raise- and the arena erupts.

Nicole had changed into her old Penguin’s uniform. She stood facing Crow – a remnant of the Cup Final. The young woman skates hard to the net – flashing her best deeks – before sliding the puck home beneath Corey’s left pad. The crowd shrieks as Nicole is rushed, and toppled, by her old teammates – just as it had happened in the final against the Blackhawks one year prior.

Max had changed jerseys for the reenactment and Jordan had switched colors as well – even though he knew he would be chirped endlessly by his temporary team.

Nicole had sealed the victory for the Home team.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi Guys!

So clearly I copied and pasted the main body of the two chapters but like I had said - This was a lot of work and I was not going to change that much seeing as Max and Nicole were both present.

Anyway,

Let me know what you guys think!
All comments and suggestions are welcomed!
I love hearing from my readers!!!