Status: I'm still figuring the whole layout thing out. So, I'm really sorry that it doesn't look good.

Drifter

Three - 362 days before

Lana woke up with her alarm. She went to the washroom to wash her face, stopped by the kitchen and grabbed a yogurt. When she came back her phone was buzzing. It was Jane. She picked up.

“Hey.” Jane said.

“Hey!”

“So, do you want to come get ready at our place?” She said.

“Ok. What time should I be there?”

“The show is at 7 pm. So I guess 4 pm.” Lana could hear Garrett laughing on the other side.

“What Garrett is laughing about?” Lana asked

“Why take three hours to get ready?” Garrett said and Jane’s voice took over “He will never understand… So, 4 pm our house. Kennedy knows where we live, you can ask him for directions.”

“Ok, I’ll have lunch, bye.” Lana said

“Bye.” Garrett and Jane said at the same time.

It was almost 4 pm so Lana got a few things to get ready at Garret and Jane’s place and drove there with her bicycle. The address and the explanation that Kennedy gave her were enough to get Lana there, she was so lucky to be good with directions. As soon as she got there she buzzed the door bell and waited until Jane appeared and opened the door.

“Hey you!” Jane said raising her arms and shaking her hands.

“Hey!” Lana got inside and gave her friend a hug.

“Let’s go upstairs, Garrett went out to get some food.” Jane showed her the path to the bedroom and they sat on the bed. “So, what’s going on between you and John? I thought you were into Kennedy.”

“Yes, in the beginning I was kind of attracted to Kennedy, but I mean, he has a girlfriend and John was the one who stayed with me that night.” Lana shrugged.

“John is always a gentleman, except when something really bad happens to him, that is when he exiles himself in his own mind.”

“At least he does not turn into some angry maniac.” Lana said and grabbed her phone just to look at the clock.

The girls started to get ready when Garrett got back home with doughnuts and coffee. The three of them ate it together. Since they did not knew each other that much the talk was about their lives.

“So… What is the reason behind your one year stay here?” Garrett said taking a sip of water.

“Really huge story… but is a promise I made five years ago.” Lana smiled remembering the day the “pact” was made. “My friend was kind of a traveling lover just as me.”

“Was?” Jane asked.

“Yes…” Lana hesitated as her throat closed and the tears started to make their way to her eyes. “Excuse me.”

She ran to the bathroom and took a few deep breaths. The tears came even when she tried to avoid them. After minutes of tears running down her face Lana was finally taking control of the situation. She knew one day she would be forced to face everything that happened without crying like a baby, besides the best way to do it was by telling people about it but the fact was that at least for now nothing had happened.

“Lana, is everything okay?” Jane knocked on the door.

“Yes, sure.” Lana stood up and faced her reflection on the mirror. She washed her face and opened the door.

“Let’s go get ready.” Jane pulled her by the hand.

After hours of makeup and choosing clothes everyone was ready. Garrett got into the room when the girls called for him.

“You guys look awesome, now let’s go, we are already late.” He said opening the door for them.

Lana’s hands were already shaking because she knew who was going to be there. The butterflies were tormenting her stomach. The thing was she always met new people and she kept her distance because she knew the rules and she did not wanted to be attached to one place except where her family was, however now she felt like she wanted to be with these people.

The venue was full and thank to every forces that help people in the world they didn’t have to wait on the line. Garrett led the girls to the side of the stage and as they turned the corner to get to the spot to watch the concert she saw the blonde locks. He was already smiling.

“Hey guys!” Pat - whom she have met the night in the desert - said “How are you?”

“I believe we are all okay. If the other answers are no, then something went wrong and I didn’t noticed.” Garrett said and shook Pat’s hand.

“Hey.” The voice right beside Lana’s ear made her jump.

“Hey, John.” She said as she hugged him “You had no reason to be a creep and scare the shit out of me.”

“It’s good to be a creep…” He laughed “The only way we know if you are being careful.”

“If I hadn’t recognized your voice I would have probably kicked you right between your legs.” She gave him the I’m though look.

“So, let’s be thankful that you know my voice.” He said as he finally checked Lana out “You look… amazing. I’m speechless.”

“Thank you. You look handsome yourself.”

“So… When will the couple socialize with the rest of us?” Kennedy laughed and Lana felt her cheeks start to get hot.

“I’m really satisfied to talk to her…” John gave Kennedy the look they gave each other when they were joking “But we have no problems including you guys in the conversation. I was telling her how she left me speechless because of her good looks.” And Lana would probably still be blushing in 2025.

The chatting continued for minutes until they announced that the show was about to start.

“I hope they sing my top 5.” Lana said to John.

“So you have a top 5.” He was staring at her.

“Of course.” She raised her head to face him. “A Decade Under the Influence. New American Classic. Ghost Man On Third. You’re so Last Summer. Flicker Fade. I love all their songs but my desires will be fulfilled if they play this songs.”

When John was about to answer the band started to play. A Decade Under the Influence was the first one, Lana danced as she always did and screamed the lyrics always pulling John to dance with her. That happened through the whole concert until she felt a hand on her hips pulling her close and she looked up to stare at those beautiful eyes John had. Her head made its way toward his neck and she placed a kiss. The song was replaced by another song and she let go of his embrace and danced with Jane for the rest of the concert.

The concert was done and as the people left the venue, they were led to the backstage area so the guys could greet the band. The band was drinking water when they approached, after moments of greeting and shaking hands, John introduced Lana to everyone.

“Is this your girl?” Adam asked.

“I’m Kennedy’s roommate.” Lana spoke without even thinking.

The expression in John’s face when Lana gave Adam that answer was maybe disappointment. They chilled at the bus for hours until the band had to go to another place. They were saying their goodbyes.

“John has a thing for you, you know?” Adam was right beside Lana when he whispered those words.

“You think?” She whispered back.

“I’m sure. The way he looks at you? Come on!” Adam giggled “It’s on his face. I knew it in the moment he introduce you to us.”

“I don’t know what to think…” Lana looked down to her toes.

“Don’t think.” He said when someone called her name “Just let it happen. Thinking only ruin things.”

“Thank you.” She said as she hugged him “It was nice to meet you. Goodbye.”

“It was nice meeting you too, Lana. Take care of the man.” He said looking from Lana to John, who was waiting at the door.

“So, are you guys ready to go?” Garrett asked the girls.

“Sure.” They said.

“Actually… Lana, what do you think about me giving you a ride home?” John said approaching them.

“Hm…” No overthinking, Lana she thought “Sure, why not? Bye guys.”

“Bye, Lana.” Jane said “Hey, John, take care of my girl.” She smiled.

John and Lana watched as the cars left the parking lot. He took her by the hand and they walked to his car, in silence.

“Where are we going?” She asked when he started the car.

“To one of my favorite places.” He said smiling.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so so sorry it took me ages to update the story, but I'm studying a lot.
I wanted to let you guys know that if you find any problem with the grammar or a suggestion feel free to contact me.