Sequel: Solar Flair
Status: Active, Please be Kind <3

Blood Magic

Chapter One Rebellious and Beautiful

Chapter One
Rebellious and Beautiful

“How about this one?”
Grandma said as she held up a cute white lace top to my chest as I faced the mirror. I smiled at the top, for some reason I loved lace. It was an unhealthy obsession I’d developed over the course of my life. Grandma smiled at my reaction to the cute top as I took it in my hands and smoothed it over my stomach. I had to admit I loved this top. I turned to Grandma and smiled.

“Yeah, I like it. Let’s add it to the cart”.
I said walking over to the shopping cart where the other clothes we’d picked out lay. A couple pairs of jeans, two t-shirts and a pair of new boots sat inside the cart. Grandma and I decided today was the day I upgrade my wardrobe before my next to last year of high school. I hadn’t updated my clothes since ninth grade. With the extra money dad sent we had more than enough to get the few things I needed. Grandma smiled as we entered the dress section of the clothing department in Target.

“You should get a nice dress to wear”.
Grandma said as she started to browse. I sighed keeping my back to the section as my silent protest to dresses altogether. I hated wearing dresses, they never looked right on me. The same went for skirts too. I was restricted to jeans, cute pants and shorts. Grandma looked back at me giving that encouraging smile.

“Come on honey, have a look at them at least”.
I sighed leaving behind the cute pink tops that I had no interest in, they were just a distraction. As I approached the rack of dresses I took them in, they were pretty and in a wide range of colors and they were 20% off. I turned back to Grandma crossing my arms.
“You know I don’t look good in dresses Grandma”.
I said feeling uncomfortable just standing in front of the rack. Grandma pulled out a sparkly purple one that was longer in the back then the front. She held the strapless dress up against me like she had the lace top. Grandma smiled looking over joyed about how the dress looked pressed against me.

“Why not buy it just in case”.
Grandma said as she walked back to the cart with the dress in hand. I sighed there was no escaping this. We made our way around the clothing department picking up a few more things. Then we made our way to the sock department for socks, bras and panties. Once everything was paid for and we were back in the old station wagon. Grandma and I headed back towards the very small town of Willows Creek that was a good 20 minute drive from the larger town of Brookewood.

The town of Willows Creek was so insignificant to the world that it wasn’t even on a map. Brookewood was making an appearance on maps this year. The town had become big enough for acknowledgment despite the protests of the people of Willows Creek. I personally didn’t care what the rest of the world did as far as mapping area’s right. But most of the people in Willows Creek are against anyone outside the town knowing about it. It’s well known among the residence that Willows Creek is the only place in the world someone can truly go to and disappear from the world.

I was born and raised in Willows Creek, Grandma and I live in a beautiful old Victorian house. It’s like something out of a fairy tale. At least that was how I saw it growing up. Growing up there was difficult when you’re in a small town people love to gossip. Grandma and I were the town’s favorite thing to gossip about. Woman who’s exorcist son left his child to be raised in her care. Daughter of the exorcist who has talents with tarot cards that have her labeled a witch. And let’s not forget the fact that not even three days after she was born her mother ran out on her.

Grandma and I had gotten use to the stares and whispering over time. I guess you develop a “thick skin” after experiencing that. For me it was completely different, I’d become socially awkward and painfully shy to the point I can’t look most people in the eye. When everyone treats you like a pariah it’s kind of hard not to develop a complex.

We arrived back in town and made a stop at the town diner to have dinner. It was a great treat for me. This place had the best cheese burgers and fries. It was a 1950’s themed diner complete with a Juke Box in the corner. Grandma and I found our normal booth and the waitress whose name was Betty skated over to us a smile on her lips. She was one of the few people in town that didn’t gossip about us or treat us badly.
“How ya doing huns”.
Betty grinned at us. Grandma smiled back at her.
“Hello Betty, it’s good to see you”.
Grandma said as they started making conversation. I stared down at the menu though I already knew what I wanted. I ended up turning out the conversation until I felt Grandma and Betty’s eyes on me. I looked up and Betty smiled at me.

“The usual?”
She asked, I gave an awkward closed mouth smile and nodded feeling like I was getting smaller by the second. Betty flashed a brilliant smile that put my awkward one to shame. She wrote down my normal order, cheese burger with just cheese, fries and an orange crush to drink. Grandma frowned at me as she folded her hands on the table.

“Sweet heart, you will never get over your complex if you don’t make an effort to come out of your shell”.
Grandma said in a loving tone. I knew she was generally concerned for me. She wasn’t going to be around forever after all. And I was sure she was scared about what would become of me without her around to initiate conversation. I knew what would happen, I’d become the town shut in who never leaves the house. Or the crazy cat lady. That was my inevitable fate. We had dinner and started talking about other small events, dad’s latest letter telling me he was in Africa to see a sick dying boy that had been possessed by the devil. Grandma telling me about the new book club she’d joined with Betty and a few other people.

We headed for home and I was relieved to finally sit down on my bed and let my guard down. I get so tense in my chest when I’m out in public, it’s like I’m holding my breath waiting to get back to the one place I can breathe freely without having people look at me with condescending stares as if I don’t have any right to draw breath at all. I put my new clothes away and packed up all the new notebooks and other school supplies that I had picked up earlier in the week. Once my stuff was packed in my messenger bag I crossed into my bathroom and got busy brushing my teeth and washing my face. After a quick but still relaxing shower I changed into my PJ’s and made my way back into my room. The strings of lights that hung around the room was the only illumination in the room.

I crawled under my blankets and curled up against my pillows slipping into a deep sleep. That night I had dreams were strange with a whole smoke and mirror theme. I didn’t really understand the point of it. When the alarm went off that morning it brought me back from the strange smoke and mirror dream. I turned off the alarm getting to my feet and shaking off the weird senseless dream. I started to get ready to face my first day back at Willows High. I changed into my white lace top and some light blue jeans that were slightly warn in the legs. Adding combat boots and my denim jacket. I had taken my hair back into a ponytail that day. The only makeup I wore was black eyeliner, unless it was a formal event then I wore red lipstick.

I made my way downstairs. Grandma smiled at me snapping a photo as I walked into the kitchen. I winced blinded by the flash.
“GAH! What the heck?”
I said blinking trying to clear my vision. Grandma laughed lightly.
“It’s for my collection”.
She said. Grandma had taken my photo on the first day of school every year since I started. I smiled at her grabbing an apple from the fruit basket. Grandma returned my smile holding out the keys to the station wagon.

“Have a good day sweet heart”.
She said. I hugged her taking the keys and heading out into the world again. I wasn’t expecting much to come of today, if I was lucky I’d go unnoticed. Pulling into the parking lot. I noticed the group of kids that always stood out front smoking. To the right of the lot was the football players throwing a football around. And around the picnic tables where the popular kids.
I turned off the car and got out quickly starting across the parking lot. As I walked I could hear someone yell out.

“Heads up!”
I looked back to see the football flying at me, the football player’s all smiles. I shut my eyes bracing myself for pain and embarrassment. There was a swift movement of an arm around my shoulders bringing me forwards. I opened my eyes looking up at him. He held the football in one hand and kept his arm around me standing between me and the football players. Everyone was shocked to silence at the sudden appearance of him.

He wore a white t-shirt and black jeans with a leather jacket. Dark sunglasses covering his eyes, his longish hair slicked back. A slight smirk on his lips as he held the football.
“You boys need to be more careful. You’ll hurt yourselves if you’re not careful”.
He said throwing the football back at the guy who yelled “Heads up”. Hitting him in the chest with the ball knocking the wind out of him and nearly knocking him off his feet. He turned back to me and smirked lightly.

“Careful princess, from this moment on, you’ll be completely helpless without me”.
He said flashing his ultra-white teeth at me going inside. I didn’t know who he was or where this beautiful rebel came from. But something deep inside me told me he was right. My life would never be the same again after this.
♠ ♠ ♠
<3