The Rising

Chapter 5

His knife struck down.

I knew I would have screamed if my blood hadn’t clogged my throat. I felt a burning sensation from my heart as I fell backwards and my vision turn red. My throat! Desperately I clawed with my hands to find my throat at the edges of my red vision was an impending darkness, but I knew if I succumbed to it I would never awaken, I was in too much pain to focus on my sight which was a mistake.

A gasp of pain was heard as I looked up into the Shade’s eyes whom were filled with … something I could not place. My throat. Suddenly I felt the fire in my heart rapidly spread through my veins leaving behind a cooling sensation, when it reached my throat I felt immediate relief, as slowly the pain began it slipped away, until my vision became normal and I felt no more pain.

I heard a whisper of a voice as I carefully stood up “Stay alive” it said before fading away. I touched my throat to find my skin clean and clear of all and any blemishes. Before looking up to see the Shade was on the other side of the room, the hand that he had used to hold the dagger was tucked behind his back I caught a glimpse of scorched skin before he shoved it from my view. In his other hand he wielded the poker stick I had found in the hallway.
“What do you want with me?” his voice was devoid of all emotion.
“Ask about Shadow” that voice in my head sang to me
“I come to ask about the Shadow ” was my reply. At this point we were circling each other his strides were long and beautiful, but I quickly snapped out of it at his brisk reply.
“Why would you care? Petite innocent thing like you shouldn’t get yourseld involved with me. I’m dangerous you know?.” I looked up to see a smirk present on his face.

It seemed as if we switched positions he as the interrogator and I as the victim. I glanced around the room for anything to defend myself I saw a melted pile of what looked like metal, don’t know how that got there and a large fire with a the pot cast over it full of delicious smelling something. Other than those things there was a small wooden table that was completely clean of clutter and a chair with a bag on it. I now realized that the long strides the Shade was taking were directed towards this pack.

With a flash I dived for the bag at the same moment that he did. My hand grabbed it first a millimeter before his and for a moments our hands brushed sending tingles down my spine, quickly I snatched the bag to my chest and crawled backwards. The Shade looked at me with apprehensive eyes
“Give it back.” His very voice scared me, but I clutched to the bag defiantly.
“No” I was proud that my voice was so strong.
“Fine my dear what would you like me to do?” I looked at him surprised that he would give in so easily, but this was my only chance.
“Bring me to the Castle and I’ll return your bag.” I replied hopefully I would also be able to squeeze information out of him about Shadow.
“No, I’ll bring you to the castle and for three days I’ll let you stay alive. At the end of those three days you’ll give me your life.” I was shocked at his words.
“What” I whispered. “
We will agree to this by exchanging a piece of information we know about Shadow”

I wondered how such a beautiful person could suggest say such foul words. Desperately I looked around searching for the exit route to find that the door I entered was blocked by him, the Shade.
“What if I refuse?” I ask when really my decision was already set. He smiled darkly
“Actually please choose that road it wouldn’t dirty my hands, for if you did you could exit this cabin now and face a world of rabids. The forest goes on for acres of land if you did in fact leave you would either starve to death or be the meal.”

I stared at him gulping my mind racing before I nodded.
He smirked “Good we leave now, you’ll find a pair of clothes and bedding in that bag." With that said he turned and from his coat produced a black bag of his own. Without even checking to see if I was following he left the room leaving me in utter darkness it seemed he sucked the light from everything even the fire was gone along with that smell.

Without thinking I quickly followed after the Shade.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you so much for reading!

I just wanted you to know that I have published "The Rising" on a bunch of other story writing websites (such as Quotev), so all content is abosolutely original.

Please comment, follow and reccommend.

Any suggestions, critics or comments are welcome as well.

Thank you once again!

-Meaning of Life