Butterfly Kisses

Chapter X

“Do you know how to dance, doctor?” I yelled over Carrie's voice.

“Actually,” he stated, gripping my waist, “I can’t.” We laughed.

“Good, because I can’t either!”

Together, we danced like idiots. We held hands and moved our hips to the music. We yelled to each other over the loud music.

After about ten upbeat songs, the DJ switched to a slow song. “For all you love birds out there, this is for you,” he stated as Big & Rich’s Lost In This Moment filled the speakers.

Spencer looked at me, not knowing what to do. “We don’t have to dance to this, Kenna.”

I smiled. “Spencer, I never danced in a club, let alone went to one before. Besides, I love this song.” I grabbed his hand, lacing our fingers together. “Please, dance with me.”

He gave me a sideways smile, his confidence building with every moment we spent together. He pulled me close, placing my hands on his shoulders and his on my hips. “It would be my honor,” he stated. “Besides, I love this song as well.”

We sang the song to each other. In that moment, on a dance floor of a bar, a place I would have never gone if not for these people, I felt safe, my heart swelling with happiness.

~~

“I really don’t want you to leave,” I told Spencer as he packed his bag the next morning. “This was the first time in so long that I felt happy,”

He looked up at me through the hair that had fallen in his face. “I feel the same way,” he smiled. “I mean, Morgan hasn’t made this little fun of me in such a long time.” We laughed.

“Kenna, Reid, get out here,” Hotch stated.

Spencer huffed. “This can’t be good.”

Kenna laughed. “I can hear the smile in his voice. Don’t worry.”
I stood up and drug Spencer out of my room and to the living room.

“What is it?” I asked.

Everyone was smiling, except my mom. She looked like she was crying.

“Since the moment you looked up at me and said, ‘I want to be like you, Uncle Hotch,’ I have always dreamed of having you on my team,” Hotch stated, showing his vulnerable side. “That time has finally come.” He handed me a small purple box.

I took it, confused. The writing on the box said, “The time is now…” in cursive. Inside, a small picture of myself smiled on a blue badge. Federal Bureau of Investigation covered the top. I looked up at my uncle in complete shock.

“Welcome to the team, Kenna,” he smiled.