Butterfly Kisses

Chapter IX

Pull it together, Kenna. You can't cry, especially over a guy who you have only known for, what, two days? Was he even flirting back? It's okay. You're going to go back out there and act like yourself once again. You're going to-

“What the hell was that?” JJ said, bursting in through the restroom door.

“Nothing,” I replied.

“That wasn't nothing, Kenna,” she stated. “You were jealous. Why?”

I gripped the sink and closed my eyes. I felt JJ's eyes on me as she stood behind me, taking my hair in her hands and slowly stroking it.

“You can trust me, sweetie,” she whispered.

I felt myself start to cry. Damn my emotional self. My body shook with every gasp of breath that I tried to take in. JJ wrapped her arms around me.

“I knew you liked him,” she stated. “You can see it in your eyes when you look at him. You have to know that Spencer is completely clueless when it comes to girls. He wasn't going to flirt with her. Ever.”

I laughed at myself when she said that. Of course he was clueless.

“I'm sorry, JJ. I guess I should have known that.”

She laughed. “Don't worry, sweetie. In all honestly, he looked upset after you said that. Derek asked him what was wrong and he said, 'I thought she liked me'. It was so cute.”

She looked into my eyes, moving a piece of hair out of my eyes. “Now, you can either go out there and turn him on with some dance moves, or you can sit in here and turn your tear ducts back on.”

I smiled at her. “I'm going.”

~~

“Hey, guys. Look what I found in the restroom,” JJ said, sliding in once Spencer stood up for her.

I stood in front of Spencer, but kept my eyes on the ground. “I'm sorry for what I said. It was dumb. I didn't mean it.”

Something weird happened in that moment. Spencer took my hands in his, and a shock went through my body. I flung my hands out of his.

“D-Did you feel that, too, Kenna?” he asked.

“Yeah,” I said, finally looking into his eyes and biting my bottom lip.

Spencer fidgeted, turning bright red. I saw JJ and Emily look at each other in shock.

I took Spencer's hand again. “Dance with me, doctor,” I seductively commanded.

“O-Okay,” he stuttered.

I pulled him toward the dance floor as Carrie Underwood's Cowboy Casanova started to play.