‹ Prequel: You Never Know
Status: Word in Progress - Will try to update once to twice a week

Flying High

2. In West Philadelphia

2. In West Philadelphia

(Regular POV)

Several weeks later, Max found himself in his new city for preseason training. He had been unable to find an apartment he liked so Claude had offered to let the man live with him. The two had been friends since juniors and meshed well when they didn’t have to play against each other.

Max took a cab from the airport to his new complex. Claude had left a key at the front for Max. Taking the elevator to the top floor, found the only four apartments. His and Giroux’s was at the end of the hall. Max reached for his key, but the door flew open to reveal a different red head.

“Sorry! I think I have the wrong apartment,” Max says taking a step back.
The red head smiles, “Are you looking for Roo?”
“Y-yeah,” Max was flustered as he looked at the ginger.
“He lives across the hall. I’m Cassidy, by the way,” the red head offered her hand to the stunned Frenchman.
“Max, nice to meet you,” Max took her small hand in his own.

‘In west Philadelphia born and raised…..’

Cassidy blushed as she took her phone out, “I gotta run. It was nice meeting you,” with that she brushed past Max, leaving him standing and staring after her.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Claude’s POV)

I was sitting in my apartment, waiting for Max to get here when I heard a small commotion outside the door.

I stood to investigate – being on the top floor usually kept the creeps to a minimum but I knew my across-the-hall neighbor had been having trouble with an ex – and I wanted to make sure he hadn’t gotten into the building again.

I looked out the peephole to see Max standing with his back to our door. I let out a chuckle when I realize what had happened – not gonna lie, I listened as he stumbled over his words. Not that I blame him, Cass was a bombshell – long red hair, stunning green eyes, a light dusting of freckles across her nose, and somehow, she had a light tan that made her even more attractive.

When she first moved across the hall my apartment became ‘the place to be’. The guys were always showing up, trying to get with Cass; but even when she didn’t have a boyfriend, she had showed no interest in any of us – myself included – and believe me, I tried my damnedest.

I went back to my seat and waited. Not five minutes later Max opened the door and walked in. I got up and greeted my new roommate and showed him his room. Max left his bags untouched and joined me in the living room.

“Sooooo,” I drag out, “What do you think?”
“It’s a nice place,” Max says, “Has a nice view.”
I laugh, “Yeah, the view is great. The neighbors are even better.”

I glance over and see Max had turned a shade of red. This causes me to laugh even harder.

“How much did you hear?” he asks me.
“Enough,” I say as he darkens another shade, “Don’t worry, everyone has struck out with Cass.”
“It’s not a strike out if you don’t swing,” Max says, defending himself.
“Maybe you shouldn’t play then.”

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Cassidy’s POV)

I was running late for my two o’clock appointment when I walked out my door, coming face to face with a pair of deep blue eyes.

“Sorry! I think I have the wrong apartment,” the man says taking a step back.
I offer him a smile, “Are you looking for Roo?”
“Y-yeah,” the man clearly was flustered as he looked down at me.
“He lives across the hall. I’m Cassidy, by the way,” I offer my hand to Blue eyes.
“Max, nice to meet you,” Blue eyes takes my hand into his much larger paw. There is a moment of awkward silence before my phone starts to ring.

‘In west Philadelphia born and raised…..’

I blush as I pull the phone from my pocket, “I gotta run. It was nice meeting you,” I brush past the stunned man, leaving him standing in the hall.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Max’s POV)

I sat with Claude and several others at our apartment. We had ordered some takeout and had a movie on when we heard yelling – it was not from the movie.

Claude is instantly on his feet with Jakub Voráček and Steve Mason hot on his heels. I was the last to move, unsure of what was going on.

“I told you to leave me alone, Drew!” the red head, Cassidy, had her back pressed against her door, yelling at a man who had her pinned.
“I’m not leaving. We belong together, Didi,” the man slurred his words, clearly drunk.

Claude grabbed the man, “You will leave; and you will NOT come back.”

The guy, Drew, turned, “Who the hell are You to tell ME to leave! This is between Didi and me.”
“We’re done Drew. You need to leave me alone,” Cassidy said as she tried to move away from the inebriated man.

Drew turned, striking Cassidy across the face, “Shut the fuck up! You’re….you’re fucking one of them aren’t you! You’re nothing but a slut, a whore!”

Claude and Jakub grabbed Drew and dragged him to the elevator to throw him out. Steve went with them just in case the guy got out of their grip.
Cassidy had sunk to the floor, tears were in her eyes and a red hot print was across her cheek.

I knelt down, offering my hand, “Come on. Let’s get some ice on that before it swells.”

Cassidy takes my hand and allows me to lead her into my apartment, she lets go and sits on the couch as I retrieve an ice pack. She reaches for the pack but I wave her off and gently press the ice to her face. She lets out a hiss as the coolness hits the heated area.

“Sorry,” I mumble, releasing some of the pressure.
“It’s okay,” Cassidy says. We fall into silence before she continues, “Sorry about Drew. He hasn’t taken our breakup well.”

“You think?” the words slip out, “Sorry again. That was uncalled for,” I apologize again.
“It’s okay….you must think I’m crazy…..” she says which catches me off guard.

“No! Why would you say that?” I question.
Cassidy blushes, “I let him in so he could get his stuff. It was stupid of me, but he was a good guy, before he started drinking.”

“You made a bad decision. It happens to everyone, believe me,” I take her hand a give it a reassuring squeeze.

She turns her green eyes on me, “Thank you.”
I smile, “You are most welcomed.”
♠ ♠ ♠
here's a little bit more of the story. if you guys like it so far let me know!
I'm not sure if i want to continue but if you guys like it i certainly will!

Let me know what you think!
All comments and suggestions are Welcomed!