Status: On-going

The Last Goodbye

Chapter 8: I do

“Wow you look amazing Melisa” Daniela complimented me as I stood in front of the mirror and took in my appearance ahead of my wedding.

“Thanks Dani” I beamed in happiness as I turned to look at her. “I can’t believe this is finally happening. My dream wedding to my dream man in my dream dress, this is so perfect” I confessed as she nodded.

Her hurt expression didn’t go amiss as I realised that despite my happiness around this wedding, there was one person who was getting hurt.

I know that the perception might be that I want to see her get hurt but that was never my intention. I had the small crush on Marco when we were all in school but it wasn’t until he started getting serious about his football that I saw his potential – all his potential. And it’s not like I’m a fame hungry – attention seeking girl but being with Marco come with some perks in regards to growing my brand. Perks that Daniela would never really use to her advantage because she wasn’t interested in the same things as me.

Really I did them both a favour by breaking them up, no one likes a stay-at-home footballer with a homely partner. That doesn’t make a footballer extra money.

“Well I should be heading out now because I’m sure there are a few drunks uncles that are harassing Father Pastore” Dani explained as she walked out of the room and left me alone.

I looked at myself in the mirror for what could possibly be for the last time as I single woman as I pondered the decisions that got me to this point. Apart from the part where I had hurt the one person who was my best friend, I wouldn’t do anything different.

I had changed Marco for the better. He was now one of the most recognised football faces, and yes, his form on the pitch had suffered in the time we had been together, but what did that matter? He was well known all over the world and that was down to all my hard work.

Knock Knock

I huffed as the knocking interrupted my thoughts as I swiftly turned around to answer who ever was at the door.

“Marco?” I breathed as my fiancée stood at the door of my dressing room. “Don’t you know its bad luck to see the bride before the wedding?” I teased as he gave a nervous laugh before asking to be let in.

I moved out of the way before closing the door once he was securely inside. I won’t lie, I was nervous as to why Marco was here.

I would personally kill him in the Lord’s house, if he decided to call of this wedding and run off with her.

“I’m sorry I just had to see you before we got things underway” he began to explain before giving me a quick peck on the cheek.

“Aah babe that’s so sweet but you’ve got the rest of your life to see me. Let’s just get married and from then on we can do whatever you want” I smiled as he nodded but continued to rub his neck nervously.

The fact that he didn’t move despite me reassurances told me that Marco wasn’t done saying what he had come here for.

“Babe is there something on your mind?” I asked sweetly as I walked closer to him and held his hand in mine.

He looked me in the eye before prying himself away and walking towards the window, where he began to speak.

“Do you think we are doing the right thing?” he whispered as I bit my tongue. He turned to look at me when I didn’t answer before asking again. “Look don’t get me wrong, I lo- I love you but I need to know from you. Deep down in your heart do you think we are doing the right thing?” he asked again.

This time I walked closer to him as I held his face, forcing him to look at me.

“Yes baby we are doing the right thing. We are a couple in love and want to spend the rest of our lives showing each other that love, so why not get married? This commitment will prove to everyone how strong our love is and most importantly getting married will make a statement that no one can come between us” I explained as he nodded.

He kissed the palms of my hand before moving his face away from me.

“Where are all these questions coming from all of a sudden?” I asked gingerly, trying not to lose my cool with him.

“No where specific. It’s just that the other day when we were having dinner with Mats and Daniela you mentioned how you weren’t really sure you wanted kids and for me, being a father would be the second greatest thing other than being a good husband” he explained as I looked on in horror.

“Marco it’s not a dead cert that I don’t want kids. That topic can always be re-negotiated. We’ve got plenty of time to decide on that” I tried to explain as he nodded his head while saying something that I couldn’t really hear.

“Sorry what was that?” I asked him to repeat.

“I said Daniela wants four kids” he stated as he looked me in the eye. In the 18 months we had been together, he had never brought up Daniela’s name or what had happened during their relationship but, here and now, in the situation we were currently in, hearing that comment pushed me over the edge as I finally lost my cool with Marco’s behaviour over the last few minutes.

“So this is what it’s all about? You are comparing me to her? I hate to break it to you Marco but you and her never getting back together. She hates you after what we did to her. Dammit she’s even moving to another country just so she can get away from us – from you” I yelled at him.

He just nodded without looking at me as I continued to speak.

“Look Marco if you are having second thoughts about me and you it’s too late to change your mind. You vowed to marry me. Our family is out there and I’ll be dammed if we don’t get married today” I yelled at him as he finally looked back at me.

“But what if I’m not ready to marry you?”

“It’s too late. We are getting married today and that’s final. Whatever feelings you may think you have for Daniela had better disappear because I refuse to lose you. I will not give you up” I repeated as he looked at me with no emotion.

I smiled as I shrugged off Marco’s feelings before speaking again.

“Now that we have made a decision get up and pull yourself together. We are due to start any minute now and I don’t want us to run behind schedule” I stated as I began to compose myself as I adjusted my dress and fixed my veil.

Marco continued sit in the same spot while I fixed myself up before finally clearing his throat to say something.

“I don’t think I want to get married today…”
♠ ♠ ♠
END
I'll post the epilogue tomorrow