Empty With You

Choosing Day

Choosing Day.

A day that so many look forward to and a day that so many dread. A lot of people will end up staying in their birth faction because they want to be near family. Because it's safe.

Then there are those who decide to leave, who take that leap and go where they know they should be. A lot dread that day because they hate disappointing their family.

But as I looked in the mirror to fix the fly aways in my hair, I highly doubted that my family would be sad that I left the Faction. Hell, I'm pretty sure Jack Kang himself, wouldn't be upset if I left. Of course, the look on their faces if I chose to stay.

I took a deep breath and one last look around my room. I wasn't supposed to take anything with me today, but I managed to hide my knives on the make shift garder belt I wore under my pants just because if I did leave, I'd be damned if they got left behind.

I made my way towards the headquarters building, where lines of people were already pouring into the building for Choosing Day. I didn't go in with my family but once walking into the building, I seen my Faction all grouped together much like all the other Factions. I walked past Erudite, looking casually for Eric, then looked towards Abnegation to look for Tobias, who was seated next to Marcus.

Once in front of the Candor Faction, I walked halfway up the stairs to sit next to my parents, who barely looked towards me as I sighed and waited for my name to be called. Or maybe even to see where Tobias and Eric choose to go. Then my mind wandered as the chatter around the room was at a low roar.

Were there other so-called Divergents here? Were they just as worried about where they should go? Does anyone know we exsist? All these thoughts in my head as I sat there, trying to think of the best option when I heard my name being called.

It almost felt like the room went silent as I stood up and walked to the front of the room where a table lined with each Faction's stones sat. I could fell the eyes of my family, Jack Kang, and of course Marcus staring a hole through my body as I climbed up the stairs to the table.

I was handed a thin blade to make a cut into the palm of my hand in order to choose my Faction. I placed the blade into the palm of my hand and pulled it across, feeling the cool metal slice into my warm flesh. I handed the blade back towards the man next to me and kept my fist close as I came face to face with my decision.

My eyes traveled down the row, weighing each option as I looked at them. In Amity, I could be free, I wouldn't have to worry about anything. If I stayed in Candor, nothing would change, it would be the same thing everyday. I could choose Erudite, but I wasn't book smart like most Erudites I met were. If I choose Abnegation, I'd be closer to Marcus and I couldn't face him or anyone in Abengation, too many of them, already knew too much. And Dauntless, I could truly be free, I could face my fears, I could change.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath as I let my hand pass over the bowl with the coals and let a few blood drops hit.

"Ariana Simms, Dauntless!" I heard the voice echo across the room s I took a deep breath and smiled slightly and turned to face the crowd.

I couldn't see my parents expression as I searched the crowd, I'm taking it wasn't good since my whole Faction was quiet and stone faced. It didn't matter now, I was now a Dauntless Faction member as I walked towards the loudest section of the room and was greeted by the Dauntless born with smiles and claps.

I took a seat next to a boy as I tried to contain my smile when I heard Tobias Eaton's name called but I'm not sure everyone was paying attention. Surely, he would chose anywhere to get away from Abnegation. Maybe he'd be brave enough to go to Amity or Erudite, he was smart after all. I just knew he wanted to get away from his father. I smirked as the kid next to me started to talk about how choosing Dauntless was the best when I heard it, Tobias' choice.

"Dauntless!" The room erupted in murmurs and cheers as Tobias walked down the stairs to join me with a nervousness in his eyes.

Everyone congratulated him as he slowly moved closer to me and took a deep sigh out like he had been holding his breath the entire time.

"I hope you didn't choose here because I did?" I smirked at him.

"I had to get away from him and I'm not like everyone else," He got serious as I nodded.

"Well at least we'll both have a friend in Dauntless," I smirked as he nodded.

"Yeah," He watched the crowd as I looked up to see Eric making his way to make his choice.

There were low murmurs and conversation in the room as he easily sliced open his hand and then choose the one faction that I didn't think he'd be brave enough to choose.

"Dauntless!" The voice echoed as Eric smirked and walked down the stairs towards the Dauntless crowd.

Seeing as I hadn't talked to him in almost two days, I knew he didn't choose because of me. It actually made sense as to why he would choose it. He was cunning, and knowing him since forever, he was into an adventure, an adrenaline junkie. He could've easily stayed in Erudite but I knew Dauntless spoke to him, ever since the first time he got in a car with me that I hot wired and we drove around town.

That and he was brave, didn't back down from much, and a good fighter. So it made sense that he would choose here. The more I thought about it, the more Tobias choosing Dauntless didn't make sense to me, but nonetheless, he made his choice, just like I had.

Eric slowly walked through the sea of Dauntless kids and Faction members, trying to reach me when we were told that we had to disperse and make our way to our choosen factions. I let out a heavy sigh because I wanted nothing more than to talk to him right now but the crowd was seperating the two of us. I did happen to catch his eye though and stuck my tongue out at him with a smirk as he gave me a wink while we moved.

"You should probably bandage that hand," Tobias mentioned towards me as we walked outside.

"I'll be fine," I nodded looking down to see it was still bleeding a bit.

"Why do you have to be so stubborn?" He rolled his eyes and tore off a piece of his Abnegation clothes and wrapped it around my hand. "I lost you a few times once and I'm not going to do it again."

"Careful Tobias, if you show too much compassion, they might think you don't fit it," I smirked at him as he swallowed hard and I nudged him. "I'm kidding, come on, they're catching a train."

I walked with Tobias and a few other Dauntless towards the structure in which we had to climb to make the train. I watched as Tobias was hesitate at first, which I understood what he was going through but if he backed out now, I may not see him again.

Then the thought crossed my mind. Was Tobias a Divergent too? Was he exactly as I was? Or did he really just not want anything to do with Abnegation anymore?

"Keep looking up," I whispered in Tobias' ear. "And climb quickly. The quicker you go, the lesser it'll freak you out."

"Thanks," He mumbled as I nodded and climbed up to the railing to catch a train.

I couldn't spot Eric anywhere but hoped I would soon. Then I heard it, the train. I knew what I had to do but Tobias didn't.

"Run and grab ahold of the train," I turned to look at him. "I'll help you up as long as you jump, but run."

The two of us took off in a sprint as I grabbed ahold of the train and pulled myself in and watched as Tobias finally made it into the car I was in and fell onto the floor with heavy chest. I smirked down at my best friend as he caught his breath and tried to comprehend what he got himself into.

I picked myself up from my spot on the ground as the train continued to leave the city, moving towards an open door to watch the buildings fly past me. The wind blew through my hair as I closed my eyes. This was the start of my new life, of new beginnings, of everything. I heard Tobias talking to someone while the train continued to roll through the city.

Some Faction leaders yelled at everyone to get ready in which Tobias stood up and moved towards me.

"What's going on?" Tobias questioned as I seen the building move closer to us.

"We've got to jump," I turned towards him.

"Jump?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Come on Stiff," I smirked at him as people started to jump from the train one by one.

I watched the building get closer as I waited and took a running start then jumped off the train to land on the gravel cover rooftop. I let out a low grumble as I picked up myself slowly only to see an outstretched hand in front of me. I looked up to see Eric standing there with a smile on his face as he helped me up off the ground. I brushed myself off as Eric still held out his hand for me to take as we gathered around the edge of the rooftop. I seen Tobias stand next to some other kids as I smiled at him, glad he made the jump.

"Thanks for helping me up," I whispered towards Eric.

"Don't mention it," He smirked. "How's the hand?"

"Huh?" I questioned him as I looked down at the bandage. "Oh, it's fine."

"I tried to find you before the train," He mentioned.

"It's okay," I smiled at him.

"Who's was that kid you were talking to?" Eric questioned.

"Does it bother you?" I smirked at him as he shifted and kissed him on the cheek. "Good."

"You're horrible," Eric glared at the ledge as everyone continued to gather.

"You know I love you," I giggled. "And you're the only one that I do love. I'm so not going anywhere, sorry."

"I love you too," He whispered back as the Dauntless Leaders started to talk.

The man standing on the ledge, I think his name was Amir or something like that, mentioned us being intiate and having to jump from the ledge into the darkness below us. It was an exciting thing to learn to do, yet everyone kept questioned what was at the bottom, or if they were crazy.

"First jumper?" He questioned as everyone just looked around at each other and nervous.

"Seriously?" I rolled my eyes as I let go of Eric's hand and heard him almost protest when I shook my head.

I made my way up to the ledge and stood on it. I looked over my shoulder at the nervous people behind me as I took a deep breath and jumped.

My body felt like it was weightless as I rushed down the darkness. Sure the normal person should've been afraid to jump into the unknown but this was exciting. Would I hit nothing and die? Would I be okay? There was only one way to find that out and why wait around?

The free fall came to a stop as I hit a net and bounced a few times. A smile spreading across my face since I didn't die and the adrenaline pumped freely through my veins. Some Dauntless members helped me out of the net and back onto the ground as I looked back up at the opening at the top of the building.

"What's your name?" The guy asked.

"Ariana," I smiled at him.

"First jumper, Ariana!" He yelled as I felt a wave of pride wash over me.

I soon moved off to the side as the others followed suit and jumped off the ledge. Eric was maybe the fifth done as he let out a scream and it caused me to smile as they pulled him off the net. He joined me on the side with the others as everyone jumped but I hadn't seen Tobias yet. It wasn't til the very last person did I finally see Tobias fall into the net and be helped out. I heard the instructor ask what his name was and he waited for a while before finally annoucing it.

"Four," I heard his voice as I stopped the conversations I was having to look at him.

"All initates with me!" We heard echo over the room as we all started following the guy in front of us as I took Eric's hand.

"See, wasn't that fun?" I smirked as I bounced in front of him.

"Why did I have to fall for the crazy girl?" Eric questioned as I played with his fingers

"Because I'm fun, spontaneous," I listed.

"Crazy," He shrugged.

"Normal is boring, I think we've had this conversation," I rolled my eyes and walked with him side by side.

"Are you sure you aren't a Dauntless born?" Eric questioned.

"Yeah I'm sure," I nodded as there was a silence between the two of us.

"Before we get sucked into the world of Dauntless," Eric mentioned towards me. "I'm honestly glad you're here with me."

"I almost thought to choose otherwise," I shrugged. "But I feel like I'm free here."

"I know you do," Eric smiled at me. "And I like seeing you happy."

"So why'd you choose here?" I looked at him.

"Because I couldn't be in Erudite much longer, Janine had it out for me and I wouldn't fit into anywhere else," Eric admitted. "And I did want to be in the same Faction as you but these past two days gave me time to think. I think I'll excell here."

"You've always had a thing for power," I looked at him. "Be careful with that."

"I will, as long as you're careful with your rebellish nature," He pointed out.

"Deal," I smiled at him as the grip on his hand tightened.

"Good cause I don't think that instructor likes hearing us talk behind him," Eric smirked as I looked towards the direction of the instructor and nodded.

It wasn't until I looked forward that I noticed Tobias, well Four now, was in front of me. This was now the start of being a Dauntless. No more Candor, no more Marcus, no more parents, no more Janine. Just training, and fighting, and more training to figure out where we fit in, in this world.