The Heights

Chapter 2

Anthony woke up. The first thing he felt was a massive headache.
“Argh, fuck.” he commented. It felt like a thousand jackhammers were going off in his head. He groaned in misery.
“AYE! No swearing in my house.” said a heavily accented voice to his right. Anthony looked over and saw an elderly Hispanic woman sitting in a rocking chair knitting.
“I’m sorry.” He paused. “Wait, who are you? And where am I?” Anthony asked.
“You’re in my aubella’s house.” A man walked in, also Hispanic. He stood about 6’5 and was wearing a white tank and black nylon shorts. Both of his arms were fully tattooed and Anthony could see that his body was very muscular.
“Wait, I remember you. You rescued me from those thieves.”
“Si that was me. My name is Roberto Vasquez. You have a broken rib but someone came by to bandage you up while you were knocked out."
Anthony went to lift his right arm to shake his hand but pain prohibited that movement. He looked up at his savior.
“I’m Anthony. Anthony Kincaid.”
Roberto’s grandmother looked over. “You are Anthony Kincaid? Son of Mayor Kincaid?”
“Yes, that is me.”
She immediately got up from her chair, her knitting project falling to the floor. “How rude of me! Oh please, would you like anything to drink? What about food? You must be hungry. I know just what to cook!” In a blink of an eye, she was gone.
Roberto just shook his head and smiled. “She loves having guests over, especially when they are famous.”
Anthony smiled. “I’m not famous. Not in the least bit. Roberto, you saved me. Thank you so much.”
“No problem, amigo. They got you pretty good. I hope you’re comfortable. I would have taken you to my house but my grandmother was closer. I had to carry you a few blocks and when she saw me with you in my arms, she just opened the door. I haven’t told her exactly what happened but I think she knows. I laid you on the couch, I didn’t know what else to do.”
“I’m just confused as to why they would try and jack me.”
“I don’t think it was just a random encounter, Anthony.”
Anthony looked up at him. Roberto was beautiful in his eyes. His face was perfect but very expressive. His eyes were brown and his hair was black and spikey. He had a piercing in his left eyebrow. His jawline would make a Greek god jealous. He had a goatee that was trimmed.
Roberto sat down on the couch next to him. “You alright?” He caught Anthony staring at him and for a split second he almost flashed a smirk. He knew that he was being checked out by Anthony, precisely what Roberto was aiming for.
“Yeah, sorry. I’m still in pain,” Anthony replied. “Do you have any aspirin?”
“I do. I’ll be right back.” Roberto got up and walked out of the room. Anthony took the opportunity to adjust his growing member in his pants. Which weren’t there.
Roberto came back and noticed the concerned look on Anthony’s face.
“Where are my pants?” he asked.
“I had to err….remove them. Your leg had a huge cut on it and the only way I could bandage the wound was take off your pants.”
Anthony felt a rush of blood to his cheeks.
“Don’t worry, you still have your boxers on.”
“Getting back to topic, what did you mean when you said you don’t think it was just a random attack?”
“Those gangsters that attacked you, they from another set. Across town. Usually they looking for members of my crew, but they waited for you.”
Anthony was confused. “Your crew?”
Roberto nodded. “I’m a part of the Aztecas.”
“YOU’RE WHAT?”
Anthony got up. “I’m sorry, I can’t be here.” He took one step and all along his arms and legs, pain receptors went off and temporarily paralyzed him. He lost his balance and tipped backwards and was caught by Roberto. For a second, time stopped. Roberto stared into Anthony’s dark brown eyes. He smiled at him.
“I got you papi,” He said as he and Anthony both sat back down on the couch together.
Anthony couldn’t believe it. Roberto was fine. Here he was, in the arms of a cholo. Being a public figure, he knew that being in the company of known criminals could hurt his image. But he saw a lot more than just a drug dealing gangbanger in Roberto.
“So you’re a member of the biggest Mexican gang in California?” Anthony asked.
“Yes.” He simply replied. “Not just a member. I’m second in command for the west coast chapter.”
Great, Anthony thought. Just what I need for my image.
“What about my attackers? Why do you think they were over on this side of town?”
Roberto moved in closer to Anthony. Out of fear, he moved back. “I’m not sure, pa. I have a theory but I gotta check with my sources before I can tell you.”
Roberto’s grandmother walked in a tray. “You’ll have to forgive me, I didn’t have much in the kitchen so I just whipped up something really quick.”
On the tray was a large serving of rice and beans, a steak, chicken with rice and a fresh tortilla. She went back to the kitchen and re-appeared with a glass of water.
“Now eat. You need it!” she demanded. Anthony smiled and began eating.

After the meal, Roberto gave Anthony a ride back to his house. Before they left, he gave Anthony a pair of sweatpants to wear now that he was pants less. It was almost dawn and the sky was beginning to light up. Anthony was in pain, but he could manage. The car pulled up into Anthony’s driveway. Roberto jumped out of the car and walked to the passenger’s side to open the door for Anthony. Anthony smiled at Roberto.
“You’re such a gentleman,” he commented as he exited the car.
“Try and tell that to my ex-girlfriend.” he responded. Anthony’s heart sank a little. Although Roberto was a gangster, he had hoped that he might have an attraction towards men. Or towards him. Isn’t that what he felt when he caught him as he almost fainted back at his grandmother’s place? At the same time, Anthony was scared of Roberto. His fear only drove his curiosity.
“Well, this is me. Thank you once again for all your help. It means a lot to me.” Anthony said and reached out to shake Roberto’s hand. He lightly swatted it away and gave Anthony a bear hug but quickly stopped once he realized that he was still in a great deal of pain.
“Sorry, papi. The ribs, I forgot." He backed away slightly and rubbed his temple with his left hand, clearly embarrassed. “I’ll be stopping by later to see how you’re doing. I should have more information on your attackers by then.”
“Well I have a morning meeting but I should be back here by 1pm.”
“Sounds good. Until we meet again, Anthony.” Roberto gave a smile and walked back to his car. Anthony fished out his keys and unlocked the door. He walked over to his bedroom and checked his BlackBerry. He had twelve missed calls and a slew of text messages. Anthony sighed. He would respond later. After taking some more aspirin, he laid in his bed and soon fell asleep.

Anthony awoke with a jolt. He woke up from a nightmare. His mind was replaying the events of last night. Did he really get attacked by gang members only to be saved by one? He looked at his bedside clock. It was 1:35PM. Someone was knocking at his door. He had missed his morning meeting at City Hall. After the events of the previous night, Anthony shrugged it off. He was in nothing but his boxer briefs and slippers when he answered the door.
It was Roberto.
Anthony’s penis began hardening almost immediately.
“Hi Roberto, what’s up?” Anthony asked, trying to conceal his erection.
Roberto was in a black tank this time and beige Dickies. He was also wearing all black retro Nikes. He looked down at Anthony’s boxers and then looked back up and smirked.
“I don’t know, you tell me. I see modesty isn’t a priority.” he answered in a slight Mexican accent.
Anthony could see a few more tattoos on Roberto’s left leg.
“Sorry, I just woke up. I was so tired when I got home. Please, come in.”
Roberto walked in and took a seat on the couch in the living room. Anthony excused himself to put on a pair of casual pants and a shirt. When he came back, Roberto was looking at the pictures on his mantle.
“You were a chubby kid huh?” he teased.
“Yeah, I had to grow into my weight.”
Roberto sized him up with his eyes again. “You filled out nicely.”
Anthony didn’t know how to respond. Was Roberto hitting on him?
“What can I do for you?” Anthony asked.
“I found out who your attackers were and who sent them.”
“Who were they?”
“They were from a small Honduran gang out of Long Beach, out by the port. Called TG-44. You might have heard of them. Now my gang doesn’t have any beef with them and they are too small to pose a credible threat. The next piece of information might surprise you. They were sent by Umberto.”
Anthony couldn’t believe it. “The guy I beat in the election? He’s sending thugs to rough me up?”
“Not just rough you up, Anthony. They were there to kill you.”
“No, that’s not possible. Hernandez isn’t that desperate to keep his seat.”
Roberto chuckled. “You must not know him then.”
Anthony sat down. “Well what if I call him? You know, try and work out a deal.”
“I don’t recommend that. He’ll deny everything. Anthony I hate to say this but until you are dead and gone, he won’t rest.”
“Shit.”
“Exactly.”
“Should I call the police?”
“No. Not at all.”
“My dad-he’s mayor. He might be able to help.”
“Anthony, this is a gang that smuggles more weapons into the United States than any other. He must have some type of deal with them. And your dad might be powerful, but Umberto’s got connections all over the city and the state. You might endanger your father by doing that.”
Anthony sighed. “So what are my options? Wait until he succeeds in killing me? Live out my days under constant guard?”
“There’s another option that doesn’t involve you dying or being imprisoned.”
“What is it?”
“My gang, we can protect you.”
“Whoa, a gang? I’m not sure about that, Roberto. I appreciate what you did for me but I can’t just have a gang protecting me. I’m a public official. I’m a Kincaid. Could you imagine how the public would react if they found out about this? Or the press?" Anthony paused at his next thought. He sounded just like his father.
“What are your other options?”
Roberto had a point. As much as Anthony didn’t want to admit it but he was starting to fall for the cholo. Or maybe the fear of what he could do if Anthony refused his help drove him closer to him. He was intelligent, handsome and caring. He knew that Roberto was straight but he felt at ease whenever he was in his presence. Maybe this bodyguard gig wouldn’t be so bad. Anthony could also spend more time getting to know Roberto.
“Fine. I accept. I don’t have to get jumped in, do I?”
Roberto busted out laughing. Even his laugh made Anthony smile.
“No, amigo. You don’t have to become a member.”
“Good. I don’t think I could take another beat down.”
Roberto stood up. “My boy Jose is outside. He will be here until I come back tonight.”
“Why are you coming back?”
“To guard you, duh.” He put his hands on Anthony’s head. “Maybe we do need to take you to the hospital.”
Anthony smiled and brushed his hands off. Roberto stared at him for a while. He thought about how adorable Anthony’s shyness was. And how beautiful he was. Was he developing a crush on the spoiled brat?
“Where are you going? Off to do a drive by?”
Roberto turned around before he got to his car. “Nah, that’s only on Thursdays. I’m going to pick up my son, Alejandro. I have him for the weekend.”
With that, Roberto winked, got in his car, started it up and drove off. Anthony saw a black Dodge Charger parked in front of his house in what he could only assume was Jose’s car. He waved at the tinted windows and it was replied to with a honk.