‹ Prequel: Hooked on a Feeling
Status: Do you remember me? Cause I know I won't forget you.

I'd Do Anything

Ten

On Sunday, Trisha and Annalise sat in a deadly silent Old World Tavern. Everyone was focused on the Montreal game. There wasn’t much time left in the third period, but it could be enough for Ottawa to push the game to overtime.

So when Price lost his helmet, but still kept the puck at bay, Trisha jumped up and screamed, “Yeah! Price is the fucking man!”

Half the bar laughed, but soon it was quiet again. Annalise chewed her lip nervously as they all watched the final minutes. And when the puck went into the empty net, a cheer went through the entire bar.

“They did it!” Annalise shouted, throwing her arms around Trisha. “We’re going forward! Thank god!”

“A shot for me and a shot for you!” Trisha shouted over the other patrons. “Come on! Celebrate!”

~*~

The next night, Trisha was working on her story line from home. Well, working was a loose term. She was wearing sweat pants and a large Bud Light Lime t-shirt. She had the TV on and a tub of ice cream open next to her. Her mock-screen play just happened to be out.

Needless to say, she wasn’t ready for it when the doorbell rang.

Trisha tucked her pen into her pony-tail and walked over to the door. She still had her spoon in her mouth when she opened the door. It was eight pm on a Monday, for christ’s sake. It was probably just a neighbor looking to borrow something.

On the other side of the door, Max, Carey Price, Davey Desharnais, and Dave Weiss took in the short comic book author. She immediately blushed and took the spoon out of her mouth, hiding it behind her back.

“Hey.” She said, her face turning red.

Price, Desharnais and Weiss all burst out laughing. Max shook his head with a smile. “Hey, Trish.”

She blinked at them. “Uh…what are you doing here?”

“We wanted to see if you wanted to come out with us.”

“And you couldn’t save me the embarrassment and just call me?”

“Well, this one might need some explanation.”

Trisha crossed her arms across her chest. “Yes? I’m waiting.”

Price laughed again. “Is that a spoon?”

“Oh like you’ve never eaten ice cream out of the tub before.” Trisha snapped. “Now what the hell is going on?”

“Well, she has the first half of the plans down!” Weiss said.

“We’re going to a strip club, to celebrate.” Desharnais explained, cutting across him. “And Carey wants ice cream. You in?”

Trisha looked at all of their expectant faces, then sighed. “Yeah, let me get dressed. Come on in.”

“I knew it!” Carey shouted.

“Price!” Trisha hissed. “You’ll wake up the neighbors!”

“Sorry.” He continued in a lower tone as they all followed her in. “Cough up, you three. I told you she’d come.”

Trisha shot the goalie an odd look. “How did he know I’d come?”

“He kept saying that if you hang out with Annalise regularly, you’d probably be up for the weird spontaneous decisions.” Max explained, pulling out his wallet and handing Carey some money. “I’m sorry about this. I’ll buy you a massage or something.”

“How about a lap dance?”

“Uhm…”

She laughed at him and grabbed her ice cream. “You guys make yourselves comfortable. I’m going to put this away – “

“Can I have some?” Carey asked.

Trisha sighed and handed the ice cream and her spoon over. “I’ll just get dressed then.”

She headed for the back of the apartment and shut her bedroom door behind her. She quickly found jeans and a loose blue top, not wanting to be too fancy. God only knew which strip club they wanted to go to, but either way if she wasn’t careful other patrons would think she was a dancer.

Meanwhile, Max was flipping through TV channels while Weiss and Desharnais eyed Trisha’s collection of novels. Price had found her sketch book and was flipping through it with mild interest.

“Cool.” He grinned, stopping at a page. “This is a good part.”

“If you want to read that, you can buy the series.” Trisha said, taking the book away from him as she came back into the room. She also grabbed the ice cream. “Hey, can we stop by a bank?”

“Yeah, that was the plan.” Davey replied.

Trisha headed for the kitchen, humming to herself. They could all hear when she added in words. “Hm hm, get it right back to where we stared from…love is good, hm hm hm! We’ve got to get it right back to where we started from.”

“How do I know that?” Weiss asked. “I know that song.”

Max didn’t look away from the TV. “It’s that song that played like eight times in Slap Shot. She always watches it when she gets upset and then the song gets stuck in her head. That or the fruity oaty bar jingle from Serenity.”

Davey scowled at his teammate. “And it doesn’t strike anyone else as odd as to how much he knows about her?”

Trisha returned to the living room. “Alright, all done. Who else is going?”

“Lars, Annalise and…well pretty much the whole team, really. And anyone’s girlfriends who are okay with it.”

“Lars is bringing Annalise?”

Carey snorted. “Are you kidding? She had to convince him to come! She’s wanted to go since the season opener!”

“Honestly, we all just thought it was a joke.” Max explained. “But she says she wants to go.”

“Lars is convinced it’s a trap.” Weiss grinned. “But I think Annalise genuinely wants to go.”

Max turned off the TV and the five of them headed out the door. Max hung at the back of the group with Trisha as she made sure the door was locked. “You alright?” he asked her.

“Hm? Yeah, why?”

“Well, you only sing that when you’re upset.”

Trisha gave him a funny look. “Don’t worry about it. Let’s go see some hot ladies, yeah?”