Status: In-Progress

Behind the Make-Up

1. Prologue

“SURPRISE!”
Everyone yelled as I walked into the bar. I looked around to see close friends and family beginning to surround me. The only ones I didn’t see were my parents – who lived a few hours away. I made a mental note to seem them the first break I had from work. Soon, my brother and his fiancé interrupt my train of thought and make their way over with guilty looks on their faces.
“What the hell, y’all?” I couldn’t stop the words coming from my mouth. “I told you guys I didn’t want a party!”
“What kind of brother would I be if I didn’t annoy you one last time before you left for God knows how long?!” Everette said hanging me a beer – I take it.
“Plus, it’s your birthday! We figured you deserved it.” I smiled at Quinn and gave her a hug. She was my brother’s fiancé, but she was also one of my best friends. “I can’t believe you’re leaving us!”
“Don’t get sappy on me.” I say, taking a swig of my beer.
The whole night was filled with meets, greets, questions, concerns and sad smiles. It was an emotional night to say the least. I was gifted with many appliances to fill my apartment with in Atlanta, along with paintings, and dishes, and a whole sort of other things.
After only a couple hours, I was ready to go back to Everette’s and Quinn’s, where I was staying until my departure tomorrow morning. Everyone left and we made our way too our separate cars; I waved to Everette and Quinn as I got in my car to head out. As looked into the rearview mirror, I noticed boxes piled upon boxes that were obstructing my view in the backseat. I smiled as I realized that this was an adventure for me, that I was really doing it.
----------
“Do you know where you’re working yet?” My brother said as all three of us were sitting in their living room.
“No clue.”
“It would probably help to find out, you know.” I glared at him, and Quinn slapped his chest.
“Don’t be an ass, Ev.” She said.
“Yeah, don’t be an ass, Ev. I’ll be gone tomorrow.” I said and he mocked me in response, causing a laugh out of Quinn and me.
“What time are you leaving?” He said, sadness in his tone.
“Damn, I haven’t even done the math yet.” I sighed. “I have a meeting with Greg Nicotero at three tomorrow afternoon, and it takes about six hours to get to Atlanta from here. I’ll probably leave around six in the morning – gives me a few hours to do what I want to the apartment.”
“Thankfully, you shouldn’t have too much to do.” Quinn says, referring to our trip down there to get furniture last week. I nod in response, causing a silence between the three of us.
“What time is it?” I asked
“Almost midnight.” He says, looking at his phone.
“I think I’m going to head to bed.” I said while standing up off the couch. “Are you guys going to be up in the morning when I leave?” I look at them, getting a ‘of course we are dumbass’ look in response. I laughed. “Okay. Good night, guys.”
I woke up the next morning to the smell of coffee – causing me to smile. I had coffee ruing through my veins, and Quinn and Everette knew that. I slide out of the bed and slip into the sweatpants I’d be wearing for the day. I walk out of the guest bedroom and into the kitchen to see my brother making a cup of coffee, and Quinn laying her head face down on the dining table, groaning. She wasn’t much of a morning person. I laughed as Everette handed me a thermos.
“Well, aren’t you just a ray of sunshine.” I said to Quinn before sipping my coffee. She brought her head up, only to glare at me, then slammed it back down on the table. I looked at the clock – 5:50.
“How are so awake right now?” Quinn questioning me.
“The magic of coffee, young one.” I said in response, bringing my drink up as if I was making a toast, she groaned again.
“Do you have everything in your car?” I turned to look at Everette and nodded.
“Except for a few things in the bedroom.” He looked at me, trying to hide the concern in his eyes. He was a few years older than me, and was not one to show much emotion, but when he did, he couldn’t hide it. I knew he was going to hate having his younger sister so far away.
“Well, before you set off, here.” He said handing me some cash.
“What’s this for?”
“Go get you some breakfast on the way, use someone of it on gas, or something.”
“Ev, there’s a hundred bucks here. That’s way more than I’ll ever need.” I tried handing it back to him, only for him to push my hand away in return. He nodded.
“I know, just take it.” He sighed, leaving the room to go get the rest of my things for me. He looked at the clock – 5:59. “Give me a hug.”
“Whoa, you’re asking for a hug?” I tried to hide the sarcasm.
“Shut up and give me a hug.” I laughed and walked into his open arms. I saw Quinn get up from the table, and make her way over. Everette let me go, and she soon wrapped her arms around my waist.
“If I don’t receive a text from you at least once every day, I will come down there and hunt you down.” I laughed and hugged her back. “And make sure you hook up with some famous actor for me.”
“Quinn!” I responded, earning an evil grin from her in return.
“Just be careful.” I nodded to Everette. “I love you.” I smiled as I made my way to the door.
“I love you too. Both of you.” With that, I was out the door to my car to make my way down to Georgia.
♠ ♠ ♠
I have up to 17 Chapters written, comment and I will post more! :)