Status: In-Progress

Behind the Make-Up

2. The New Girl

I was about an hour out from Atlanta; I got behind due to a wreck on the interstate. It put me an hour behind schedule. I was starting to get tired from my long drive and took the nearest exit to drive by Mickey Ds for a coffee. While waiting for my drink in the drive through, I plugged in the aux cord to listen to some music from my phone – The Civil Wars. I closed my eyes as the lyrics filled the car.

“It's not your eyes
It's not what you say
It's not your laughter that gives you away
You're just lonely
You've been lonely, too long.”

I had always loved The Civil Wars and had heard this song on multiple occasions, yet this time, it hit me hard. The words flowed and my hands gripped the steering wheel.

“All your actin'
Your thin disguise
All your perfectly delivered lies
They don't fool me
You've been lonely, too long.”
“Ma’am?” The lady called me out of my trance. “Here’s your coffee.” I nodded as a thank you and drove off, letting the music play.

“You've held your head up
You've fought the fight
You bear the scars
You've done your time
Listen to me
You've been lonely, too long.”

I immediately turned the music off, tears welling up in my eyes, reminding me of harsher times. I was supposed to be happy with where my life was heading. I finally got to do what I’ve been working towards all these years, but I had an uneasy feeling leaving my only family I had back in Tennessee – Everette and Quinn. The fact that I actually doing this, I had to owe it all to my brother. He got me hooked on horror movies at a very young age, he made short films growing up where he always asked me to help with the make-up. I couldn’t turn him down – I enjoyed it too much. Not only did he help me discover my passion, he introduced me to one of idols. Most of my favorite movies had Greg Nicotero as the head of the make-up department, so when they looking for help, my brother sent in a resume without me knowing. I did’nt think I stood a chance to everyone else who applied. He was all to thank for this, and even though I was beyond happy for this new journey, I was sad to leave him behind.

Before I knew it, I was at my exit. I turned as off and as I did, I received a call. The caller ID read “Greg Nicotero”. ‘Oh, shit.’ I thought to myself, and my hands shook as I answered.

“Hello?”

“Hey, is the Piper!” I heard come through the phone.

“It sure is! How’re you Mr. Nicotero?” I asked him.

“Greg, please. I’m good. Have you made it here safely?”

“I actually just pulled off onto my exit. I’m heading to my apartment to get ready now.”

“That’s great. We still meeting at Cakes & Ale for lunch?” I looked at clock on my dashboard – 1:45.

“We sure are! Sounds great!”

We said our goodbyes as I pulled into the parking lot of my, now, home. I looked at my backseat wondering how I was going to get everything in by myself. I sighed, deciding to do it later after my lunch and go spend my time getting ready. I got out of the car and grabbed my bag of necessities, noticing a tall blonde boy near a motorcycle. I nodded my head as nice gesture and walked up to the second floor to my door. I unlocked the door and dropped my bag near the bathroom, and decided to pick out something to wear, most of my things were in the car. I had only brought a few things from my last trip with Quinn; they were now hanging in the closet. I quickly jumped in the shower noticing the time. Within ten minutes I was in and out. I slipped on the dark jeans I had picked out along with a maroon colored top that had ruffles along the collar. Semi-Dressy, yet casual at the same time – I didn’t know what the dress code was. I put on a pair of flats and headed back to the bathroom to do my hair and make up. I looked into the mirror only seeing the anxious girl that had overcome me.

I had arrived at ten til three. I was relieved because I got out of the apartment late due to my perfectionist ways. I sighed and got out of my car, making my way to the front door of the restaurant. I spotted him immediately, and anxiety overwhelmed my body. I had met him once before the last time I was here, but today was more of an interview. I walked over to the table he had saved and stood up, bring out his hand.

“Hey, Piper.” I took his hand in mine, and nodded. He motioned to the chair, indicating for me to sit.

“So, tell me about yourself. How you get into this business?” I blushed at the fact that I had to tell him about how my brother sent in my resume. He laughed at the story. “You did want the job though, right? I’d be disappointed if you didn’t, your work is amazing! You’re quite talented for someone you age.”

“Wow. Thank you so much. I feel that I still have a lot to learn though.” He nodded, grinning politely.

“Can I ask what my job will be?”

“You will be helping in the make-up department, obviously. I figured you might get bored being an
intern, so you’ll be starting hands on first thing.” I looked at him shocked.

“Really?!” I couldn’t control my excitement and he laughed at it and nodded– I felt pathetic.

“I hope you don’t mind blood and guts.”

“I couldn’t expect anything less! It’s my favorite concept to do actually.” I responded. “What movie set is it?” I asked.

“Not movie – a TV show. The Walking Dead.” He said as calm as ever, causing my brain to shut
down.

“Wow.” I whispered, thinking he couldn’t hear it. He looked up at me. “That’s crazy. Such a big following. I mean, I’m a fan myself.”

After the meeting, I got in the car and immediately dialed Ev’s number and pulled out the restaurants parking lot.

“Hey Pipe, whats up?”

“I’m working on the set of The Walking Dead!” I was on the edge of screaming.

“What?! No way!” I heard him tell Quinn the news – they were both big fans. “I can’t tell you how jealous I am right now.” Even though he couldn’t see it, I grinned into the phone.

“I thought I’d tell you the news, I have to go and bring boxes up to my apartment.”

I told him how I ran late getting here and then we said our goodbyes. I easily found a parking spot at the apartment – it didn’t seem like many people lived here. I looked around the empty parking lot and noticed the young boy and the motorcycle both gone. I grabbed a box and started up the stairs, fumbling with my keys at the last step causing me to almost drop the box that was affecting my view.

“Here, let me help you!” I heard a voice say as the weight was released from my hands. I looked to see a young Korean man. “I’m Steven.” I started walking towards my door and he followed.

“I’m Piper.” I turned the key in my door. “Thank you so much for grabbing that.” I motioned for him to come on in.

“Piper Howard?” He questioned and I nodded looking confused. “You must be the new girl. Greg has told us about your work. Sounds like your pretty good.” He said while putting the box down, and we both started back out the door. “A few of us are in this complex. I live right across from here, Norman is two doors down from you. Andy, Lauren, and Chad live upstairs. The rest are at a complex down the road.” He laughed. “A lot to take in?”

“Yeah, for sure.” I nodded and it became silent.

“Anymore boxes?” He asked.

“Yeah, quite a few.” I chuckled and he followed me to my car, helping me bring the rest up to my new home.