Status: In-Progress

Behind the Make-Up

4. First Impressions

I pulled into work with my nerves overcoming me – my first night on set and I can only make a first impression once. I felt like I couldn’t move, almost like every part of my body was frozen. I took a deep breath, grabbed my bag with my sweaty hands, and headed to the door to the building everyone would be getting ready in. The first person to great me was Steven.

“Hey, Piper!” He greeted me with a hug and I froze, not used to this type of gentle touch.

“Hey, Steven.” I tried not to sound as awkward as I felt. I didn’t know my way around, so he took me to Greg.

‘Thank God you’re here. I’m running behind. Do you care to get help over there with Andy and them?” Greg said kind of rushed and pointed me to the general direction.

“No problem!” He walked me to the others.

“Hey, guys. If this girls in your face doing my job, don’t worry about it. Her name is Piper.” Everyone nodded and I walked over to one of the tables. A man with a scraggly yet full beard.

“I’m Andrew. Call me, Andy.” He brought his hand out to me and I took it. “Nice to meet you.”

“Nice too meet you too. I’m Piper.” He sat down and it became silent. “I’ll be giving you a wonderful makeover tonight.” His laughed filled my ears, and made me grin. I tried to do his make-up as quickly as I could, as Greg said we were behind. I trimmed up his beard and then took a brush too put “dirt” on his face. I put some on his beard, on his clothes, and hands – pretty much everywhere. We were finished and he stood.

“Damn. I look like a brand new man.” I laughed too hard. “Thanks Piper.”

“You’re welcome!” He walked away, and I turned to clean up my area to make it more presentable. Then I heard footsteps coming towards me, and a raspy voice spoke.

“Am I supposed to come here?” I jumped, startled, and turned around.

“Yes. I think you are.” I said, nervously. “I’m Piper.”

“Norman.” He brought his hand out and I placed my hand in his. He then placed his other hand on top of it. “Nice to meet you.”

“You too.” I smiled and he sat down. I felt my stomach form in my throat and turned to my table with my back towards him to hide my anxiety. I grabbed a picture that Greg left to base what the character looked like. “This should be fun. Looks like you’re one of the most disgusting characters on the show.” I turned around to see him with an eyebrow cocked.

“Yeah, I guess I am.” I could see him tighten up as I walked over to him with a make-up brush. I placed it in the make-up “dirt” and started brushing it across his face. I watched as his face slowly went a couple of shades darker due to it. I walked over to the table, to put it down and glanced in the mirror meeting his eyes. He looked away. I picked up the gel that would make his hair look a bit greasier than it already did. I rubbed into my hands like a lotion and started running it through his hair – swearing that I heard a slight sigh come from his lips. I cleared my throat and walked back to the make-up table to pick up a towel and wipe my hands off. I covered my hands up in the dirt and turned back to him.

“I need you to stand up so I can…uhm...” I pointed to his arms, unable to get my words out. I felt the awkward tension between us. He stood up and I walked over to him. He brought his up so I could do the makeup and I could feel the lump climbing up my throat. I was uneasy when it came to putting my hands on someone because of how it made me feel when someone did it to me. My breathing started getting uneven – I didn’t have to go through this with Andy, he was covered up. Norman was already in his shirt that had the sleeves ripped off along with the vest over top. Norman broke my train of thought.

“Piper?” I looked up at him, and back at my shaky hands that were about reach his right arm.

‘Yeah. Sorry.” I exhaled and gave in. I’m sure he was used to it – making being put on other than just his face, but it was still something I was getting used to when it came to doing other’s makeup. I rubbed the dirt into his arms and he handed me a spray bottle that was within arm’s reach. I sprayed the bottle and saw little goose bumps form on his forearm. I cleared my throat and it only added to the tension.

“So, this is your first day?” He asked, and I nodded in return.

“It is. I just moved here a few days ago. I live across from Steven at an apartment complex.” I said, quieter than my normal tone.

“Only a few doors down from me.” I continued on with the makeup. “Where from?”

“What?” I paused the make-up process, not fully paying attention to the question.

“Where’d you move from?” I met his gaze then looked back down at his arm that was now covered. I moved to the other one.

“Paris.” His eyes grew big causing me to laugh. “Tennessee. Paris is also a small town in Tennessee. It’s about six hours from here.” I moved my dirt covered hands up and his arm, then repeated the process with the spray bottle. “I think I’m done.” He got up and looked in the mirror.

“Just as disgusting as ever.” He cocked an eyebrow at me. “It was nice to meet you again, Piper.” I nodded towards him, finally able to breathe normally again as he walked away. I carried on with the makeup, finally, meeting everyone else as they sat in my chair. They all treated me very nicely, until the end of our day.

We finished around two in the morning and I was finally able to head back to my apartment. I unlocked the door, on plopped on the couch. “Ughh.” My arm draped over the side and I felt a furry thing rub up against my hand. “Hey, Little Bit.” I picked her up, receiving a little squeak in return from her. She nuzzled into my neck. I didn’t mind her cuddling me, she was sweet. I could feel my eyes dozing while holding her. I decided to leave the couch and make my way to my bed, not even bothering to underess myself. I brought Nala with me – she curled up into my side and I listened to her soft purrs before drifting off to sleep myself.
♠ ♠ ♠
That's all for tonight! Comment and let me know of what you think!