Status: Slow moving... but moving, nonetheless.

She's Like a Piece of Home

Sept 6th - PART 2

“I have her back by midnight,” Luka said with a sly grin, tilting his head to Quinn as they were leaving. Raleigh rolled her eyes and tugged her hip length, navy blue, three quarter sleeve cardigan further up on her shoulders. She had ended up pairing it with a snug white tank, dark boot cut jeans and navy flats after a small internal debate about what would be appropriate to meet his friends wearing. She knew couldn’t put that pink and cream shirt back on. She had rewashed her hair after her run and dried it so that it fell loosely over her shoulder, moving her part from the center off to the left.

“You know you don’t have to bring her back at all,” Quinn called out as Luka opened the door for her.

She forced an apologetic smile on her face and held up a finger. “I’ll be right back.”

She waited until he stepped outside before taking a few step back to the living room. She stuck her head around the doorframe and glared at him.

“You’re such an ass,” she hissed, causing a booming laugh to escape from him. “We’re just friends.”

“Sure you are…. Good night, Raleigh,” he said walking away from her. Why did no one believe her? The thought frustrated her.

He had changed out of his khaki shorts into dark washed jeans, but left the teal and white checkered shirt on. He still looked as good as he had when he had picked her up that morning. She still couldn’t shake the twinge of doubt that came with his career. She tried to focus on what Brooke had told her earlier that day. His career doesn’t make him. It’s just what he does. She pushed a breath out as she walked down the stone path to his car where he was patiently waiting with the door open for her.

She knew the drive would be short, but she was surprised when he mentioned that he lived only a couple of streets over from Carter and Paige. She didn’t realize he lived so close by. Her thoughts drifted to things she had begun to allow herself to notice about him, like the honesty in his laugh after she had told him Mackenzie’s new punch line for every joke and catching the quiet stutter when he hit an English word he wasn’t comfortable with.

“We’re here, Raleigh,” Luka said giving her a nudge and drawing her out of her daze. He was at her side of the car before her first foot hit the ground. He held out his hand and waited for her. She was caught off guard by his manners. Was this guy for real? His fingers intertwined hers with a solid grip.

A cute red head, who she assumed to be Paige, was sitting on the edge of a loveseat spotted them first as they walked in and waved them over. Carter was standing close to her. Alex and Molly were sitting together on the white loveseat, his arm casually tossed around her. No kids in this house, she thought noticing the all white furniture. She hadn’t noticed that in August. Luka tilted his head towards the group. “Come,” he spoke softly, giving her hand a light tug.

Carter turned as they approached and his jaw dropped slightly. His eyes darted between their hands and their faces. “She’s actually here,” he finally sputtered.

“Yes,” Raleigh responded slowly unsure of what else to say. “I am.”

“Holy shit.” Paige smacked his arm hard. It was clear that he had already started drinking.

“You’ll have to excuse Carter,” Molly said giving her wink. “Paige will straighten him out later, I’m sure.”

“Ow, ow, ow! Okay! I’m sorry!” They looked at Carter who was now rubbing the underside of his tricep. “Sorry,” he mumbled.

Paige stretched out her hand to shake Raleigh’s. “I’m Paige. I’m sorry we didn’t get a chance to meet the last time you were here.”

The novelty of her being there wore off quickly and the group went back to their chatter. She was surprised by how quickly she allowed herself to zone out, but still laugh at the jokes or nod in appreciation at the right time. It was something she had picked up from being dragged to different events and parties with her dad. Of course, back then she didn’t have Luka standing protectively behind her, his hand set on the small of her back. Without noticing it, she had over the course of the last fifteen minutes moved in closer to him, her right hip pressed against left side. Molly had just finished telling a joke when Luka leaned down.

“I get drinks for us, okay?” She nodded and watched as he walked away. He paused for moment, stopping to talk to a few other people that she didn’t recognize. She found herself searching the room and realized that she with the only people that she knew. And she was using the term loosely. Her thoughts brightened suddenly when she remembered that there was a chance that Matt would be here.

“So, Raleigh,” Paige’s voice snapped her back to attention. “Luka told us you work at Heinz History Center. What do you do there?”

“Oh, I actually start a new position on Monday. Assistant Curator of History,” she said with a bashful grin, she could feel a twinge of heat on cheeks. She hadn’t even told Luka yet. It just hadn’t come up during the day.

“Whoa. Big title,” she joked. “So what’s that?” she pried when Raleigh offered nothing else.

“Oh, um, it’s a lot of administrative stuff, but I’ll be working on the acquisition, storage, and exhibition of the collections. Grant applications. Workshops. Things like that.” Her ears were burning now. She hated talking about herself. Give her a topic like the Civil War and she would happily spend hours talking.

“Is that what you want to be doing?” Alex asked next. She was starting to feel like she was caught in the Spanish Inquisition. Did they wait until Luka left to pounce on her?

“Close,” she replied. “I’d like to be a Curator. This is a step in the right direction.” She felt a pain from her left wrist and realized that she had begun to squeeze it with her other hand. Unsure of what else to do with her hands, she simply loosened her grip and hoped she didn’t randomly cut off the circulation to her fingers again.

“Is that something you can only see yourself doing here?” Molly asked next looking up at her.

“No… I could really go anywhere in the country if I wanted to. My degrees are cored in American history,” she answered carefully. She glanced over her shoulder wishing Luka would return. “There are plenty of museums I would consider.”

She noticed Paige and Molly exchange glances and Molly nodded ever so slightly, a tiny smile on her face. She felt increasingly uncomfortable. “Sorry, where’s your bathroom, Paige?”

“Down the hall, on the left.”

“Excuse me,” she mumbled and headed towards the hall. She was hoping to come across Luka… or Matt. At least one of them would be a familiar face.

She drew a deep breath in. She splashed a bit of water on her face and then dabbed it dry with a few tissues. “They were just asking questions, you’re still new here,” she mumbled. She took another breath and headed out. She took her time wandering back.

A painting hanging in the dining room caught her eye as she walked past. She backed up and entered the room, surprised to see no one else around. She studied the painting, impressed. It reminded her of ‘Waterlillies’, one of her favorites, but it was definitely not a print or duplication. She finally spotted Paige’s signature in the bottom right corner. Engrossed in the painting, she didn’t notice anyone come in the room.

*
She was by herself, which seemed odd, but the fact that she was there told him that she and Luka were still together. He had only caught a glimpse of her profile as she shifted her weight and crossed her arms studying Paige’s painting. He understood why it was able to draw her in completely as Paige’s artwork was extraordinary. After seeing an impressionist style painting she had done of Pittsburgh, he asked her if she’d be willing to do a painting for him. He had deeply missed home at that point and she had painted him a stunning landscape of the Colorado Rockies.

“Hey,” he called from the doorway. A shy smile grew on her face as she turned to face him, her hazel eyes lighting up. He crossed the room in a few long strides and joined her in front of the painting.

“Matty.” She definitely sounded relieved as she tossed her arms around his neck encasing him in hug. Although he was surprised by this, his arms instinctively found their way around her waist. It wasn’t that he minded, but he wondered if this was going to become a thing with her. At least Julia wasn’t present for this one. He thought he was going to lose the feeling in his hand after the last time. When she let go, she nearly sprang back from him, her cheeks a very light shade of pink. “Oh, wait. Matt. Sorry. Reflex.”

“It’s fine, it actually doesn’t bother me.” And strangely enough it didn’t. It was like a piece of home had found him. Julia had called him ‘Matty’ a few times at the beginning of their relationship, but it faded quickly as it sounded so foreign on her lips. His mother really was the only left who referred to him by the childhood nickname. “Maybe just not in front of the guys. So, where’s Luka?”

“I think I lost him?” She phrased it as a question instead of a statement. He held back a snicker as she genuinely looked confused.

“You lost him?” he repeated slowly giving her a puzzled stare as he pushed his hands into his pockets. Regardless of her frowning, he could tell her lips were fighting a grin.

“Well, I didn’t intentionally lose him,” she said slightly exasperated as she rolled her eyes. He saw a flash of eight year old, pig-tailed Raleigh standing in front of him. Despite growing up so much, some of her mannerisms had clearly stuck with her. “He went to get drinks and then his friends, well,” her lips twisted, “your friends, no wait,” she shook her head and continued, “teammates? I don’t know what to call them.”

“‘Friends’ is fine,” he answered.

“Yeah, okay. Anyway, I needed to regroup. I felt like I was getting the third degree. They were, um, intense.”

“They’re protective,” he explained knowing the number of girls that went after his teammates for only one thing. The timing did strike him as unusual. “Gotta vet anyone new in the fold. You know, I’m surprised they’re only just getting their claws into you. Haven’t you two been together for, what, almost a month now?”

He noticed her tense also immediately at the question and faced the painting again. “Oh, we’re not together. I told you that before.”

Was her denial sincere? Had Luka really been chasing after her for month without getting any? He recalled the conversation he had with Luka after Paige’s last party. Luka had seemed completely hooked on Raleigh and Matt honestly thought that by this point something would have evolved. “Yeah… you keep saying that.” After a few minutes of silence he nudged her with her shoulder playfully, anxious to have Lee-lee back. She looked up at him, her lips pursed. He shrugged innocently, causing her mouth to twitch as a light and airy giggle slipped out. There she was. “What?”

“Nothing…. I just – ” Interrupting herself, she shook her head, returning her gaze to the canvas.

“You just what?”

“You’re a – ” She peered at him from the corner of her eye.

“I’m a….” he mimicked waiting for her to finish her sentence. A tiny sigh escaped her lips.

“You really did it,” she finally said, a sense of wonder in her voice. He was lost. He raked his hand back through his hair and scratched the back of his neck.

“Can I please have the rest of this conversation? I’m so confused.”

“I don’t know. You’re a…” she trailed off. He flipped his hand in a motion for her to continue. “A professional hockey player.”

She so heavily stressed the word ‘professional’ that he wasn’t sure how to take it. Not to mention that it didn’t make a whole lot of sense coming from her of all people. “You say that like it’s a bad thing.”

Why?”

“Why what?” His brow furrowed.

“A professional athlete?” She offered as though what she was getting at was so obvious and he was the one being ridiculous for not understanding. That caused him to laugh. This made no sense to him.

“This coming from the girl whose father was a professional baseball player?” She balked. “What? I thought you and your dad were close.”

“Not in a long time,” she declared firmly leaving no room for questioning.

He opened his mouth to ask her what could have possibly happened to cause their falling out when Julia’s voice rang from the hallway. “Matt?”

This would be his only chance to ask. He knew once Julia saw her that he probably wouldn’t see her for the rest of the evening. He held his hand out. “Hey, give me your phone.”

“What?” She took a half step back as she touched her pocket where her phone bulged from snug jeans.

“Phone,” he prodded, hand still extended. She hesitantly offered it and he tapped out a quick message to himself before handing it back to her. He felt his pocket vibrate as she slipped the phone back into her pocket. “I think we have a lot of catching up to do.”

She nodded just Julia came around the corner. “Oh, Raleigh. Good to see you again.”

It was hard to miss the icy tone in her voice. Matt reached out and gave Raleigh’s arm a gentle rub before going to his fiancé. “Have fun with Luka, Lee-lee.”

“It’s Raleigh now,” she demanded unconvincingly.

He shook his head with a grin, “Nah. Lee-lee still suits you.”

He watched her blush again as Julia tugged on his arm. “Hey, Lou and Noella are waiting for you.”

He wrapped an arm around Julia and kissed her forehead, hoping that would relieve her already building tension. She relaxed slightly under his touch. “See you around,” he called to Raleigh as he guided his fiancé from the room.

When they made it halfway down the hall, Julia finally spoke to him. “You didn’t tell me she was going to be here,” she said meekly, her voice filled with hurt. He stopped her right there in the middle of the hall and slid his hand under her chin, gently tilting her face up. Worry filled blue eyes greeted him.

“I didn’t know,” he said calmly. She dropped her eyes. “Hey, look at me. Please.” When she finally did, he continued. “I love you, okay? She’s a childhood friend. It’s nice to have someone from back home to talk to, but it doesn’t mean I love you any less. Okay?”

Her insecurities were starting to worry him as they had unexpectedly increased over the last year. He couldn’t figure out where this was coming from as she had done well the first year they were in Pittsburgh and she was never like this in Nashville, but then again, Nashville was her home. He waited quietly for her answer, his eyes pleading with her for a response. He couldn’t have her drifting away from him.

“Okay,” she mumbled.

“I love you.”

“I love you, too,” she whispered. He leaned down and pressed a tender kiss to her lips. He felt a momentary panic when she didn’t kiss him back. It was quickly pushed to the side when he finally felt the tip of tongue brush his lips.

*
“I thought maybe you run away.” She looked at him amused over her shoulder. Luka was now standing next to her holding a wine glass with a clear liquid. “Sweeter white. Moscato,” he said after watching her eye the glass warily.

“Lesson two,” she joked taking a sip. He arched an eyebrow looking down at her. “This is the second time you’ve given me wine instructions. Don’t worry. Matt talked me down from the ledge.”

“Hallsy?” She nodded. “Glad he did. You have habit of running from me.” He was teasing her. “Not wrong, eh?” he said with a smirk. He knew. There was a twinkle in his eye. “What happen to plan with Brooke?”

“Oh!” It came out like a squeal. She could feel a blush creeping up her cheeks. Damn, he was good. “Yeah, about that.” Another sip to relieve the anxiety. “I have nothing even remotely clever to say.”

He took a step closer to her. She continued holding the glass of wine in front of her, her elbows resting gently on her waist. She wasn’t sure what to do. She couldn’t bring herself to back away. She froze when he reached out and grasped her elbows lightly with another slight pull towards him. His head dipped towards her. He was watching her, a slight gleam of hope in his eyes. She let her eyes close and waited. And then she felt it, softly. His lips against hers. But this was different than the last two times. It was…she struggled to place it. Then it struck her, it was innocent.

She felt him pull away first, his thumbs simultaneously brushing the sides of her elbows. There was nothing particularly amazing about the kiss. But she knew it didn’t feel wrong. Her mind quickly attempted to process what she was feeling. Her reasons for keeping him at an arms length would always be there, but she found herself rationalizing that it was okay. She didn’t have to allow herself to get too close. She could still protect herself even with him. Was there really any harm in at least trying with him? And just like that, he was…safe.

Her nerves unwinding and she felt herself slip back into a comfort zone she hadn’t known she missed.

“I said I’ll go find them!” Paige’s voice carried over the noise. His arms dropped quickly and they both stepped away from each other. They watched the red head glance in the dining room as she passed and do a double take. “There you guys are! We thought you got lost!” She looked at Luka. “Well, not you. Her.”

*
“I was just admiring your painting,” Raleigh said without missing a beat as she gestured behind her. He was impressed at her sudden cool demeanor towards Paige. This was so opposite of the way she behaved towards him. “It’s really quite beautiful.”

Paige grinned graciously as she put her hand to her heart. “Well, thank you. It took me weeks to finish it. I suppose I was a bit OCD about it.”

“Oh?” She walked towards Paige, the wine glass now casually cupped in one hand. “Why?”

“I just couldn’t get the colors right,” Paige was saying as they began to exit the room. Raleigh glanced back at him over her shoulder and winked. Who the hell was this woman? This woman was confident and poised. He followed quietly behind them, keeping his distance until they rejoined the group. Standing next to her and watching her from his peripherals, he left a small gap between them. He rested his hand between her shoulder blades. When his fingers lightly brushed the skin of her neck above her sweater, she tensed almost instantly. Her smile never faltered as she spoke.

“No!” she exclaimed. She was laughing as she shook her head, her hair sweeping over the back of his hand.

Impulsively, he bent down to speak to her and was slightly surprised when she tipped her head ever so slightly as she leaned another inch closer to him. Her eyes were focused on the group, brow furrowed, as she listened to Alex. He kept his voice low and close to her ear. “Want to leave?”

She nodded without looking at him. “Oh, no! I’ve got one better.” She was holding her free hand up in front of her. In that motion, she had discreetly inched closer to him. “So I’m ten years old…” Her voice faded and he was barely aware of anything beyond her.

“That reminds me!” Molly jumped up suddenly from the couch, startling the others. Her eyes shot to Raleigh. “Paige, we haven’t even shown this poor girl around! There are still some people she needs to meet.” He gripped her sweater. So fucking close. He was about to say that they were going to leave when she interrupted. “We’ll bring her right back unharmed. Promise!” She grabbed Raleigh’s arm, causing him to let go of her. She towed her across the room, Paige moving swiftly to catch up. Raleigh peeked over her shoulder at him, frowning. The dissatisfaction was evident on her face. He shrugged with a grimace. She had no idea how disappointed he was. He joined Alex on the couch so that he was facing Carter now. The three sat and talked during their disappearance. Well, Carter and Alex talked. Luka kept looking out at everyone for the short brunette, while pretending to be involved in the conversation. Fifteen minutes passed and then he finally spotted her. She looked relieved at the sight of him. He stood up quickly when they returned.

Molly leaned back slightly, startled by his sudden movement. “Luka, are you okay?”

He nodded. “We have to go. Raleigh has…” He paused. Shit. He had forgotten to come up with a reason. Raleigh swooped in promptly.

“To help my friend, Brooke. She’s got this clinical thing tomorrow and she needed my help getting prepared for it.”

“But you just got here!” Molly protested. Raleigh appeared upset.

“I know. And I am so sorry. She sent me a text while I was in the dining room before. I had completely forgotten.” Molly and Paige both pouted a bit before finally relenting and saying their goodbyes. He grasped her tiny wrist as they hurried to the door.

“Move quickly before they change mind about letting you leave,” he said as they weaved past a few of his teammates. He nodded at them as they passed. Pulling the front door closed behind him, he checked her from the corner of his eye. “My place?”

She turned her head to look up at him, her lips twisted as though she were amused. “I don’t know.” The wariness sounded staged.

“I bring you home later. Promise.” She raised her eyebrows skeptically. “What is it you say? Scouts honor,” he joked holding up three fingers.

She giggled. “Yeah. Let’s go.” She took his hand as they retreated to his car.

*
To say she was impressed as he drove up to his house would be an understatement. It reminded her of an old farmhouse, but much larger. There was still enough light that she could see the sandstone paint was trimmed in a pine green. The vast yard was immaculate and full green trees were scattered throughout the lawn. She tried not to let her mouth drop. Despite growing up wealthy, she still didn’t live in a house like this. Her mother had often insisted that simplicity was the way to go. Even Cami’s house, which she knew had partially been a wedding gift from their father, still wasn’t this expansive. Her eyes were wide as he parked the car and she took in the house.

“Hallo?” There was a light tapping on her shoulder causing her to jump and turn.

“Oh, sorry. Um, your house is really nice. Do you live here by yourself?”

“Yes and no. Alex and Molly live here while their house being built. I show you now. Come on,” he offered as he stepped out the car. She followed suit and he waited until she was around the car to take her by the hand and lead her inside. She looked over her shoulder as they entered. “They not be home for hours. Paige and Molly talk for hours.”

The fact that they were completely alone did not escape her. Just go with it, she told herself as she paused in the entryway, causing Luka to stop.

His deep brown eyes narrowed in concern on her. “You okay?”

“Ships in harbors,” she muttered to herself before taking a step forward. She lined herself up toe to toe with him and their eyes met. Her fingers grasped the collar of his shirt and she tugged his face down slightly towards hers. This was apparently all the permission that Luka needed before his mouth smashed against hers. His other hand cupped her neck. She dropped her hands to his waist, gripping his shirt as she tried, unsuccessfully, to lift herself on her toes to be level with him.

“Come on,” he breathed heavily pulling away from her. He clutched her hand, almost dragging her along. Her legs moved quickly in an attempt to keep up with his long stride. They moved quickly up the stairs and down the hallway. He looked back, surprised, when she hesitated just outside his bedroom door.

She swore she could hear her heart beating loudly. It was all fun until this point. She had felt so bold before. Now she was about to go into his most personal space. You said it was okay. You made him okay. You can always walk away. She took a sharp breath in and held it as she stared in. He was pulling her in, moving her to the side, but not letting go. The room was beginning to darken as the sun was setting. She heard the thud of the door shutting. He had her tucked into a corner.

“I – I just don’t want anyone to know about us,” she stuttered. His fingers slipped under the collar of her cardigan as he pushed it down off her shoulders.

His lips were next to her ear. “Okay.” Against her neck. Down her neck. His fingers trailing down her arms as he pushed the sweater off completely.

“Really?” Think, Raleigh, think. Along her collarbone. “Mm – oh.” Was that a spot? Again. Yes, definitely. Her fingers began working at the buttons on his shirt. “You’re okay with that?”

She was moving backwards across the room, him guiding her. She kicked her flats off to the side as they moved. “Yeah.” He slid his hands around her waist. “This just mine,” he said quietly. His fingers were urging her tank top up, exposing her abdomen.

“Just yours?” His words echoed in her head. Just mine. His shirt was unbuttoned now. She leaned back enough for him to tug her tank top off. His fingers drifted down her back inducing a shudder. He released her and rolled his shoulders back as she yanked his shirt off. She ran her fingers over his entire torso. Hard, all muscle. He took really good care of himself. She looked up to see him staring curiously at her.

“Yes. Mine.” His mouth covered hers again. Mine. She was on her toes again, hands gripping his biceps as she attempted to match his height again. She could feel the muscles flex slightly under her skin.

He shifted his weight to take off his shoes. Did his bed move further away? It had never felt like such a distance before. She was trying to level herself out with him again. She was so damn short. His hands lingered down her waist to her hips. He tugged at the button and zipper on her jeans, hastily pushing them down from her hips. She backed up from him enough to step out them and nudge them the side. The light of the sunset bounced off of her as she undid his belt and twisted at the button of his jeans. White lace. His fingertips dragged along the lace on her hip. He felt her hesitate when his lips grazed her collarbone again. Her forehead had dropped against his chest and he could feel the shakiness in her breath against his skin. She pushed down on his jeans now and he stepped free of them. This was taking too long now. As he scooped her up, her legs immediately wrapped him and her fingers twisted into his hair. He looked past her to see that his bed was only a few feet away now. Two more steps. He felt the comforter against his shin. He was turning to sit down on the bed, when her voice broke the silence.

“Say it again,” she whispered, her lips against his ear. His mind went blank. All he could focus on was having her. He thought back. What did he say to her that she would want to hear again? He lowered himself, keeping a tight grasp on her. Her legs shifted to straddle him. What?

“Just mine.” It came out as a mumble against her neck. She let out a breath and her hips rolled against his. That was it? She rested her forehead against his. When he hooked his fingers around her underwear and tugged, there was a slight nod. “Tol'ko moya.” The words slipped out in Russian before he could stop them and he quickly covered her mouth with his again. She recognized something in what he said. With a tiny moan, her body was pressed completely against his, pushing him back onto the bed.

*
“Hey,” she whispered softly in his ear. “Luka.”

“Hmm.” He didn’t budge. She returned to her stomach, arms tucked under a pillow, but kept her face turned towards him.

“I need to go home.” She kept her voice quiet. The blankets moved around her and the weight of his hand settled on her back.

“No, you don’t,” he muttered, eyes still closed. His hands were moving, turning her so that her back was pressed against him. She didn’t fight him physically anymore, just moved where he directed. Mentally though, she would still hold her own.

“Luka,” she warned.

“You said you like my bed.” Mumbling. She rolled her eyes. Even dead tired he argued. “You can stay.”

She paused, contemplating it. Her issue at the moment wasn’t being in his bed; it was that he lived with two other people. Two people that she would have to take the risk of passing when she left. She twisted her neck to look over her shoulder. “What about Alex and Molly in the morning?”

“I will get you out not seen. Just stay.” She felt a light kiss against her shoulder and he returned to holding her snugly against him.

She relented. “Okay, okay. Good night, Luka.”

“Good night, Rals.”

**
She slipped her shoes off outside the door. Please let them still be sleeping, she silently willed in her head. She turned the key as slowly as she could and open the door after hearing the louder than usual click. She shut the door carefully behind her, so softly that the door made no give-away noises. Then she heard talking from the kitchen. Damn it. Of course they are up. She made a painstaking effort to move as quietly as possible down the hall. Please… please don’t-

“You know, I’m pretty sure that’s called the walk of shame.” Quinn’s voice broke her thoughts. Cami’s snicker soon followed. Raleigh froze and turned slowly to face them. Shit. Why didn’t she go through the side door? She lifted her head defiantly.

“I’ll have you know, not that it’s any of your business, that nothing happened.” The lie slid through her mouth, but as usual Quinn didn’t miss a beat.

“Really? A mirror might argue otherwise.” Raleigh’s mouth dropped slightly. Cami’s snicker erupted. She spun quickly and marched down the hall. It was then that she caught sight of the mirror.

“Oh lord,” she mumbled, glancing at herself. Her lips were swollen. Her hair was a bit on the wild side. Okay, so maybe making out with him before you got out of the car wasn’t the best idea. She slumped her shoulders as she admitted to herself that she was busted. Her pocket began to vibrate and she pulled her phone out. Brooke. Of course.

“Hey.”

“I’m hoping you’re still sleeping and that you didn’t forget that we were meeting for breakfast today.”

She groaned as she walked to her wing. “I’m sorry, Brooke! I completely forgot.”

“Boo, you whore. Are you coming at least? I can fend off the elderly for a little longer.”

She padded down the hall to her room. “Yeah, I need to get a shower first, but I’ll be there soon.”

“Great. I can’t wait to hear about how your ‘just friends, it’s not a date’ date went.” Rustling came through the receiver and she heard Brooke ask for water. More rustling and then she came back. “What? No usual witty remark?” She walked down the hall unsure of what to say back. “Oh… OH! This was a date. You get your ass down here ASAP.”

“I have to get a shower first. Then I will be there. I promise,” Raleigh assured her as she opened her closet doors and began pulling pieces of clothing out and tossing them on her bed.

“FINE. Hurry up. See you soon. The old people might revolt trying to get this table if you don’t hurry.” Raleigh laughed at her best friend’s ridiculous antics.

“BYE,” she said ending the calling and dropping her phone on the bed. She moved quickly through getting shower. Towel wrapped around her, she twisted her hair into a loose braid when she was done and brushed her teeth. She gave herself no time to think about what had happened in the last twenty-four hours. She preferred it that way though. As she pulled on the white, scoop-necked, tank top and the dark denim jeans she had laid out, her phone let out a “clink”. She looked down to see a text message from Brooke. HURRY UP.

YOUR SLOWING ME DOWN! She typed quickly. She slipped into her white converse sneakers and plucked the dark green and navy striped cardigan from her closet. She tucked a pair of silver hoop earrings into one pocket and her phone into the other and she snatched her wristlet and keys off her desk before rushing out of her room.

As she passed the kitchen, Quinn again called out to her. “Wow. You cleaned up pretty fast there, Ace.”

She waved at them as she breezed by and called out over her shoulder, “Always a pleasure, Quinn.”

**
Ten minutes later, she pulled into the diner’s parking lot and killed the ignition. Now that she was here, she took a minute to prepare herself for the interrogation she was about to go through at the hands of Brooke. What had happened last night? She was still trying to gather her own thoughts. She was torn.

*Clink* She looked down at her phone. What the hell are you doing? Get your ass in here. She looked up at the large, glass windows and spotted Brooke waving at her and pointing to the seat across from her. Reluctantly, she exited the car and walked in. She smiled at the hostess and kept walking, finally getting to Brooke’s table. Her blond hair was pulled back into a high messy bun and she was wearing an oversized minty green sweater. A black and white chevron scarf rounded her neck.

“Jesus, you look exhausted, Lee-lee,” she said as Raleigh collapsed into the chair across from her. Raleigh looked down at her plate of breakfast. “It just got here. What the hell happened to you?”

“Uhhhh...” her voice raise an octave as she avoid Brooke’s stare. “I had a late night.”

Brooke looked at concerned. “Are you sick? Did he poison you or something?!” she whispered looking around her as though she were part of a conspiracy. Raleigh rolled her eyes.

“God, no! What the hell were you watching last night?!” Brooke shrugged and gave her a small frown. Raleigh looked at the table and tapped it lighted. “I may not have made it home last night.”

“But I thought you were going to make him bring you home after that thing...” She paused and her eyes narrowed. “Wait a minute...” Raleigh glanced over at the blonde as a look of realization dawned on her. Her mouth dropped open. “You!” she exclaimed as Raleigh looked away.

The brunette pulled her glass over and took a sip, unable to make eye contact with her best friend. “Me, what?”

“Don’t you do this. You slept with him!” Brooke’s voice rose slightly as she leaned across the table.

Raleigh shook her head and set her glass down. Her cheeks burned when she thought back to it. She tried to calm herself back down. Brooke was always the one to see right through her. “I didn’t.”

“You little liar. You are a lying liar face. That’s what you are!” Brooke exclaimed quietly, pointing an accusing finger at her.

“Nothing happened. It was just late so I,” she paused as she picked up her fork to began to eat, “didn’t come home.”

“So, you just slept at his house, but not with him. Do I look stupid?” Brooke took a bite of her toast and chewed it while studying Raleigh’s reaction. She was holding back a smile as Raleigh’s eyes darted between her and the table. “Well?”

Nothing happened,” she repeated, trying to think of something else to get Brooke off her case. She felt a twinge of guilt not admitting it to her best friend.

“You are so lying right now,” she said eyeing Raleigh suspiciously as she tucked her hand under chin.

“Can we talk about something else?” She was nearly begging.

The blonde rolled her eyes dramatically. “How was the party?” she asked as leaned back in her chair.

“It was fine. His friends were nice.”

Brooke picked at her toast. “Was his bed nice, too?”

Raleigh blushed and choked on her water. “I wouldn’t know. We’re just friends.”

Brooke gagged. “You keep using that word.” Raleigh fought smiling, but a frown just wasn’t working. She knew where Brooke was going with this. “I do not think it means what you think it means.”

“I gave him my number,” the brunette offered. Brooke raised her eyebrows, a smug smile on her face. “He wants me to call him.”

“So you finally gave it him…. You have his?” She nodded. “And you're going to call him, right?” she implored. She shook her head quickly. Brooke’s eyes clouded over. “And why the hell not?”

“I don't know. I told you we’re just friends.” She picked up her fork and began to push her eggs around on the plate.

“Right,” Brooke said slowly, before she coughed out, “Whore.”

She gave her a small grin but still sighed as she leaned back in her chair. “Nothing happened.”

“So you say,” the blonde smirked as she took a bite of her eggs.
♠ ♠ ♠
So. Here we are. I am terribly sorry that it's been so long since I've posted. Life and work have kind of exploded on me and I hit point where I barely had any time for myself mentally. Anyway, enough about me. Luka and Raleigh... Raleigh, huh? She's a pain, but she's got a lot of issues she's got to figure out and she's really good at masking everything. We don't always see eye to eye on how she handles situations. I disagree with her on some of her choices, however, I'm very glad that she's about to let someone in soon.

Feel free to leave feedback. I love reading it and getting all of your thoughts.