I'm the Last One That You'll Ever Remember

Chapter 246: Rot With It!

“What the hell are you two doing out here soaking wet?” Masika demanded of the two Way brothers after they were wakened from sleeping on the patio furniture outside. Despite being worried sick, she couldn’t help but glare at them because they’d been on the property this whole damn time and she hadn't known it!

“Don’t ask.” Michael implored Masika as he stretched out his limbs and let out a giant yawn. After tonight’s excursion, he was drained and ready to collapse in the nearest bed provided to him.

Masika shut her mouth on the topic vocally, but mentally she couldn’t shake it off. Deciding to investigate herself, her eyes flew to the side of the house where the gardening hose was. She could tell by that glistening area that the lethargic brothers had washed themselves off. Being the Killjoy she once was, she knew they had been doused in blood and had been cleansing off the proof of it before collapsing on the patio furniture, never making it into the house. In a small voice, Masika said. “Oh.”

“Gerard, get up! You don’t want to kids to wake up and see you like this, do you?” Frank spurred his husband, who was taking his time getting to his feet. He kept a safe distance from him, well out of his reach when the taller of the two silently rose to his feet, doing as he was told to do with no argument. Seeing that he wasn’t in any state to navigate where to go next, Frank impatiently captured Gerard’s arm and began to lead him into the house. “You two get over here too!”

As weary as he was, Michael could sense there was trouble brewing, so he took Masika’s hand and followed the man of the house towards the guest room. The couple observed as a tiny Frank pushed his husband into the downstairs room and then stepped aside to let them in next, darkness thundering in his once hazel eyes. Oh yeah, Frank Iero was furious. Clamping their mouths shut, Michael and Masika obediently entered the room next. One minute, the former leader was sitting himself down at the end of the bed with Masika squished at his side due to Gerard sprawled on the bed, and the next moment Frank was going off on everyone in the room.

“Now I don’t give a fuck who you people are, or what you were doing tonight! This is MY house, and therefore you three will follow MY rules or else I’m kicking your asses out!” Frank snapped at them as he stood in the doorway, his hands on his hips, and his glaring eyes blazing like a bonfire of abhorrence directed at them. “First rule, you three are staying locked in here for the day and you better not make a peep! You're not leaving this room until I tell you you can.”

Both Masika and Michael stared at Frank as he laid down the law. The younger Way didn’t appear sluggish anymore as he listened, but he was surprised by the smaller man’s balls to speak to him this way. Gerard on the other hand, was hurt by his husband’s words from where he heard them with his face smashed against the comforter. Scrambling back up, his light brown stared sorrowfully at his beautiful husband who averted his gaze from him entirely. Not understanding where his coldness was coming from, Gerard whispered. “Baby, wh-”

“Shut it, Gerard!” Frank growled, having to close his eyes for a minute to stifle his own painful heart. He thought if he could avoid looking at Gerard he could get through this, but he was wrong. Hearing him made it even worse, so he had to shut him up or else he’d relent. Continuing on, Frank opened his eyes and pointed a finger upwards to their ceiling. “I have children sleeping upstairs that are gonna be up any minute now. Instead of locking them away in their own home to protect them from the likes of you, I’m just gonna seal you three in here instead and throw away the key to protect them.”

Not wishing to be divided from his husband or his children, Gerard rose from the bed to get his husband to see reason here. Stepping forward, he extended a hand out towards him. “Frankie, bab-”

Hurt that Gerard would still call him that after taking up the Killjoy fight yet again, Frank violently slapped his husband’s outstretched hand away from him. “DON’T TOUCH ME!”

Like a wounded puppy, Gerard jerked back from the man he loved. He’d never heard his Frankie this infuriated, well technically he had early on in their relationship…if you could call it a relationship then. After they had made it official though, they’d created the kind of bond where they never quarreled, and so seeing his husband like this was breaking his heart.

“You made your choice, Way.” Frank told his husband with tears in his eyes, muddying his vision and making his bottom lip tremble. He wasn’t gonna last for much longer, so he quickly wrapped this up so he could lick his wounds elsewhere. “So now you get to sit in here and rot with it!”

Gerard watched as his livid husband left with the slamming of the bedroom door, making him flinch. Finally, the three Killjoys were back alone together, but it didn’t make the married man feel any better. Wanting to cry, Gerard tentatively shuffled over to the door and leaned down to press his forehead against the cool door. His hand soon joined him, pressing against the only thing separating him from his noisy joyful family. Squeezing his eyes shut from the hurt, Gerard cursed himself for what his actions had done to his perfect life. But he couldn’t ever bring himself to regret taking that action, not one little bit. To regret it would mean to regret his brother being alive, and that’s not something he’ll ever regret.

“Well…he’s pissed.” Masika spoke up, stating the obvious as she nervously fiddled with her fingers. She didn’t know what else to say. The silence had been killing her and so she said what came to her mind.

“God-fucking-damnit!” Michael cursed to himself, rubbing both hands over his stressed face. Frank’s wrath had been 10x worse than he thought. If it wasn’t for him, this wouldn’t have happened in the first place. Loathing himself for provoking hardships in his brother’s marriage, which was a miracle all on it’s own, Michael sought to make amends to his hurt brother. “Look, Gee, I’m…I’m sorry about all of this. I promise you we’ll just be here for tonight and then tomorrow morning Masika and I will find another place to stay. Hopefully, Frank will cool down by then and let you out of the doghouse, yeah?”

“No. It’s fine.” Gerard murmured before raising his head from the door to stare longingly at it. With a sigh, he turned around to take a seat beside his brother, his eyes dropping to the hardwood floors.

“No, it fucking isn’t!” Michael refuted passionately, vexed with himself for bringing issues into Gerard’s life. Everything seemed to have been going well for him until he showed up. “You’re in the doghouse right now and it’s my fault for putting you there by asking for your help to take out the Killjoys!”

At the mention of the Killjoys, Masika inserted herself softly due to the delicacy of the situation. “It’s over now, right? The Killjoys? You guys killed them all.”

“I had believed we did.” Michael began, reflecting on tonight’s chaotic adventure. “But we found evidence that one or two had escaped the farmhouse we found them squatting in. If we’re lucky, they bled out in the surrounding cornfields.”

“The cornfields?” Masika echoed with a frown, recalling such a remote place before. “Wait, did those idiots return to that one farmhouse we stayed at before like…a few months ago I believe it was.”

“The very place, yes.” Michael confirmed with an eye roll, finding the option idiotic.

“Jesus Christ.” Masika giggled at the Killjoy's stupidity before letting out a tranquil sigh. “I can’t believe it. It’s finally over.”

“It is.” Gerard verified, rising from his suffering. “You two should start thinking about your future.”

“We’ll start with focusing on moving out of here, pronto!” Michael decided.

“I agree with you there.” Masika seconded before asking Gerard. “Hey Gee, do you have a laptop I can borrow? I wanna find out what we can rent around here.”

“Yeah, but it’s…upstairs.” Gee lamented, his sad light brown eyes rising to stare up at the ceiling with yearning. “And I really shouldn’t leave this room…or else.”

“I’m sure it won’t be that bad if we grab it really quick.” Michael proposed innocently.

“Oh, it will be BAD!” Gerard shook his head, and just in case they were thinking of doing it for him, he shot them both a glare followed by a threat. “And if you two even think about leaving this fucking room and screwing up my chances to make up with my husband, I’ll snap your goddamn spine in two!”

“Fair enough. We’ll stay put.” Michael caved with his hands up. The next issue was sleeping arrangements. “For now, I vote Masika should take the bed, she’s pregnant after all.”

“You go too, Mikey.” Gerard ordered his little brother as he got up to snatch up one of the pillows off the bed. His mind was only on his family, and winning them back. If he could just be patient, he knew things would work out his way. He just had to sit back and wait. “I’ll take the floor.”