‹ Prequel: Shooting Stars
Status: In Progress

Rookie of the Year

Two

Sophie's POV

Oh my god. My head is literally pounding and feels completely detached from my body and is so heavy. I hear Ava but there is nothing I can do to help her in this moment. That probably makes me a bad mother, but I literally cannot move. If I do, I threaten to lose my head.

"I got her Soph, and I'll get you an aspirin from my bag too." I didn't realize in all of my pain that Corey was next to me. I knew that he didn't do anything I wouldn't want, but it is curious to know why we were in the same bed to begin with. This is not an every day occurrence for us, only for his game days which this is obviously not.

"Thanks," I whisper even though it feels like I'm yelling.

I don't even bother to open my eyes until Corey is standing next to the bed with water and the ibuprofen. I sit up as slowly as possible, but faster than I should considering Corey is standing there with Ava in one arm and the water in the other hand. I take the pills and toss it back, much like I tossed back the whiskey last night. That was a bad mistake that I am seriously regretting right now. Damn Shaw.

"We are going to get dressed and meet everyone downstairs for breakfast. Why don't you get a shower in and meet us down there. Just don't take an hour. Shower and throw on some sweats. No one will care." I nod and close my eyes. I hear him moving around the room with Ava, who is muttering in her baby talk that is common among most babies who are only a year old. I hear him whisper to her and they both are dressed quickly. Once they leave, it takes me a good minute to even get up. Then I slowly stumble to the bathroom where I turn the water on to a scalding level.

Before I know it, I am in sweats, an over-sized Hawks shirt that was once Corey's and a ball cap over my eyes low. The florescent lights of the hotel are killing me and I really need some carbs for breakfast. I know that it's been like a half hour since Corey left with Ava, but I consider that to be fast for the state I'm in.

I find them in the same breakfast lounge we were in yesterday with all the NHL players staying at this hotel in a smaller ballroom. My favorite people were all seated at one round table together - Abby Sharp with her husband and son, Kane, and Shaw were with Corey and Ava. Both Patrick Jr. and Ava were in high chairs next to the father/father-figure in their lives and there was an empty seat next to Corey.

I reluctantly went to claim it as my own by slouching into it the first chance I got. Everyone got a great chuckle out of my appearance apparently.

"I hate you Shaw." This draws an even bigger laugh out of Patrick Sharp and Corey. They weren't there at the party and don't understand this. But this hatred is real. He was the one who convinced me to switch from lemonade to whiskey anyways.

"Hate the game, not the players Soph. Rule number one to drinking with the Shawzer. But really, I'm sorry that happened. I didn't mean for you to get more than a little tipsy. Honest. It was all for fun. And you had plenty."

"Screw you Shaw. Tell me you at least have a hangover like I do."

"Nope, sorry little mama. Gatorade before bed really helps. It is those electrolytes. Next time little mama. We will prepare you for next time."

"Whatever, what's for breakfast?" I didn't even notice a waitress coming over with food and I was the only one who hadn't eaten. She placed chocolate chip pancakes on the table in front of me. And they smelled so delicious. I have been on a hockey player's diet for the last couple of months and these were not on it.

"Carb blow out day, Soph. Tomorrow it's back to the diet regimen. You're allowed one day." Corey tells me as I look overly hungry at these circles of joy with chocolate chips. I literally lick my lips before grabbing the small syrup from the center of the table to pour over it.

Most of the table heads out before I finish because they had eaten before I got there. Soon it was only Corey, Ava, Abby and I. I had finished my pancakes and some fruit with a side of bacon. It was so amazingly delicious that I felt like I had a food orgasm. As soon as I was done, the three of us stood and I took my daughter.

"I'm going to hit the gym. I'll be up in an hour." Corey tells us and so it is just us girls who head up in the elevator. Abby is a floor below me and I insist that she doesn't have to ride the single floor up with me and Ava. I have to get over my fears and nightmares sooner rather than later now that I'll be on the team in hotels all the time. So I let her go and I wait with Ava to get off a floor higher.

When it opens on my floor, a man is coming in as I'm going out. He's in a hurry and accidentally wraps an arm around my waist to keep Ava and I from falling as we collide.

"I'm so sorry," spews out in a Canadian accent that I have come to know and love from my fellow teammates. I also recognize the voice as Sidney Crosby - the golden boy of the NHL and Canada.

"It's probably my fault. We weren't looking where we were going, were we Ava? We apologize Sidney. We should probably get out of your way seeing as this is our floor."

"Sophie, right?" I nod. "It's nice to meet you, sorry it was under these circumstances. I'll be seeing you this afternoon at the meeting with the commissioner, right?" I had totally forgotten about that seeing as I was still hungover as hell. But the commissioner had requested my presence at a meeting with all the team captains. It was another reminder about how women were going to fit into the league because the guys didn't really get a chance to ask questions yet. So that's what I'm going for, to answer questions.

"Right, I'll be there. Anyways, I'll see you later Sidney." I tell him as the elevator dings. I escape while catching my breath because that was a lot harder than I thought to make it from the elevator to our room. Even with Sidney in the elevator and I actually knowing who he is. Ava is due for a nap, so I put her down before Corey's back.

I also work on my appearance and change into a business suit so that I can represent my team well. I have to put on a shit ton of makeup to cover up my under eye circles from the hangover but I eventually look as good as new.

Corey comes in not too long later and then I'm gone to the meeting while he stays with Ava. I have no idea what I'm about to walk into, but I am so glad that I can sit next to Coach Q and Jonathan Toews, my own team captain, for support. I know it is going to be a rough questioning session and I don't know if I am nearly prepared for it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it was a lame introduction to Sidney, but it will get better :)