Rattled Bones

Eye contact is a dangerous, dangerous thing. But lovely, oh so lovely.

1941


Bucky’s eyes squinted as he noticed another figure embracing his and Steve’s date from across the jazz club. He had been leaning against the bar with a drink in hand to take a moment to let the girls talk before both Steve and he took them onto the dance floor. He rubbed his jaw as his eyes took her in. She wore a laced black dress that snug dangerously close to her body, presenting him with hardly anything left for his imagination. She kept it classy, still carrying herself in the most appropriate manner. He sipped on his drink as she threw back her head and laughed, he could hear it from where he stood; very melodic.

“Who’s the girl?” Steve asked, finally taking notice that there was extra pair of legs standing next to their dates for the evening.

“I don’t know,” he mused. His eyes never left her, still captivated by the way she talked and laughed alongside the girls. Just as he was about to toss the rest of his drink back, she turned her head in his direction, locking eyes with him. A look of curiosity mixed with slight disinterest was housed on her face and it was enough to make him smirk. Throwing back his drink, he inhaled through his teeth. “I’m going to find out.” He walked ever so confidently to the three girls, his hand snaking around Marybeth’s waist but his attention all on the brunette, “Who is this lovely sight?”

Louise grinned, tugging on the girl’s arm, “This here is Rose Everett, and doesn’t she just look ritzy?” Her smile fell as she locked eyes with Marybeth who didn’t seem to like that she had asked her date if another girl looked beautiful.

Still having his arm locked around Marybeth, his other hand was held out for Rose. Once she hesitantly obliged, he brought her dainty hand to his mouth, placing a small kiss, he breathed “I’ll say, she’s very ritzy,” he let his mouth hover her hand before she felt the need to pull it back. Smirking, he straightened up his posture and glanced down at a very irritated Marybeth, “Don’t pout, doll.”

Marybeth narrowed her eyes and ignored Bucky’s helpful hint and gave Rose a sideways glance, “If you’ll excuse us, Rose. But, we came out to dance and it’s a shame that you don’t have a date-“

“-Marybeth, that isn’t a nice way to treat the lovely lady.” Locking eyes with Rose, his lip curled upwards enough to show that he was all too amused. “Perhaps we can take turns-“

“-I’ll have to decline.” Rose stated, not allowing Bucky to finish his sentence. Her own smirk graced her lips at his expression; she would bet a dime that not many girls would turn down such an offer. Although, she did have to admit that he was quite handsome, it just wasn’t enough to make her steal someone else’s date. Taking a seat and crossing her legs, she leaned back. “I like watching others do the jitterbug rather than embarrass myself.”

Bucky licked his lips, “I could teach you.”

Marybeth stamped her foot, her hand clamping down on his forearm, “If I recall correctly Bucky, you asked me to dance not her.” She tugged on his arm, getting angrier when his eyes didn’t leave Rose’s. She let out an aggravated groan, “If you won’t show me attention than I’ll find someone who will!” She whole heartedly hoped he would snap out of his gaze and apologize but when he unhooked himself from her, her heart sank. So much for that¸ she thought. Turning on her heel, she marched into the crowd of boys with Louise trailing after her.

Rose snickered quietly to herself, “I think your date ran off.”

Bucky shrugged, taking a seat next to her. Scooting his chair closer, “She’ll get over it.” Smirking, he looked into her green eyes, kind of shocked himself that he let Marybeth run off. He had been looking forward to getting her alone for the past week and just like that, he was uninterested. “How do you know Marybeth?”

“What a charmer,” she retorted. Straightening up in her seat, she broke away from his gaze. He sure knew how to make a girl uncomfortable but in a good way. “I don’t. I just know Louise.”

“You new around here?” He asked, curious to know why he hadn’t seen her around before.

“Sort of, I was born in Brooklyn but moved to Jersey right after my sixth birthday. I only just moved back a few days ago. Louise and I had the same nanny.” She crossed her arms across her chest as she gave him a sideways glance, curious to know why he had given up a pretty face to talk to her. She wasn’t anything special, although she did feel quite empowering in her dress. She hardly ever wore something so clingy and inviting but after sulking for over a year about her mother passing away, it was time that she picked herself up.

Bucky leaned forward, his hand picked up hers, he motioned towards the dance floor. “Well, Rose why don’t we dance?”

She laughed, her eyes sparkling with humor. “I don’t think so wonderboy.”

“Oh come on, the nights still young and you wouldn’t be here if you didn’t want to dance.”

Rose leaned forward too, almost close enough that if she wanted, she could kiss his lips. Her eyes twinkled and her mouth caught in a grin, “I don’t dance, Bucky Barnes.” She chuckled to herself as she leaned away from him, not allowing herself to humor the thought of what it would be like to actually kiss his lips. She was trying to have a good time not become promiscuous within her first hours back in her home city. What her mother would think if she could see Rose now, and her father? He would have locked her away in her bedroom if he knew what she was wearing. Luckily, he had drunk himself in a deep slumber when it came time for her to leave the apartment.

He copied her grin, hating how contagious it was. It was hard for him to keep the upper hand, he could see it in her eyes; she would eventually dance with him. He cocked his head a little, not being able to recall anyone mentioning his last name. “What do you know about me?”

“Enough to know that I will never dance with you,” she reached out and patted his upper side of his chest, pleased to feel that there was some muscle hidden under that dark suit of his.

“Never say never, love.” He replied.

She stood up, pressing her lips as she tried to hold back a smile. Rose had enough fun for the night; it was going to be a process getting back on her feet since her mother. She didn’t want to overdo it, and humoring Louise in coming out tonight was enough for one night. “I’ll keep that in mind, Barnes.”

He stood up with her, “Where are you going?”

“Home,” she stated and before he could respond, she put her hand up to stop him. “Without you.”

Bucky chuckled, “Come on, let me walk you home. You’ve been gone too long from Brooklyn, doll. It ain’t picture perfect in those streets.”

She snorted, “And let you find out where I live? Not a chance, wonderboy.” Her eyes flickered over towards a skinny, scrawny blonde coming their way. She had noticed him earlier when she had taken the opportunity to see just how attractive Bucky really was. “And besides, you’ve got your friend to worry about.”

Bucky looked over in time to see Steve approaching, he slung and arm around him and smiled. “Steve this is Rose, Rose this is Steve.” Glancing at his good friend, he pulled him in tight, “I was just telling Rose here how it isn’t a good idea to walk home alone.”

Steve took a good look at the girl standing in front of him, it wasn’t a surprise to him why Bucky was so enticed with her. Marybeth and Louise were beautiful dames, he would give them that much but Rose? There was a bit of a hidden libidinous feeling she radiated and he would bet that she didn’t even notice. Bucky was attracted to women who gave off sex appeal without knowledge, he fed off of it. Granted, Bucky didn’t mind the women who dripped of it, it was an easier chase. “I have to agree with Buck on this one, it isn’t a good idea dressed like….”

She crossed her arms, an gave an open grin, she could tell Steve wasn’t like his friend in the least bit. “Like, what?”

He blushed, looking away from her, “I don’t mean to sound rude but dressed like a women in those magazines.” Blushing even harder, he snapped his head towards her expression, putting up his hands as he realized how that might have been misleading in what he had meant. “Not those-the-those dirty magazines. I would never compare-er-you don’t dress like them. I mean I don’t-I wouldn’t know-I don’t read them.” He panicked; he could never talk to women.

Bucky slid his arm off of his friend, smacking his forehead as he kept babbling on to explain what he had meant the first time. Shaking his head, he watched as Rose became amused and not offended. He smirked to himself, most girls would have sucker punched Steve in the gut for saying something like that but not her. She stood there, all ears as Steve stumbled over his words. Thinking that he had enough, he placed both hands on his shoulders and squeezed, “That’s enough buddy.” Shaking his head once more, he motioned towards the door. “Come on, Rosie. Let’s get you home.”

She narrowed her eyes, “It’s Rose.”

He shrugged, “Rose, Rosie, isn’t it the same?”

Rose eyed him up, seeing if she could assert some kind of dominance. She didn’t even let her own family call her that, she didn’t like it but hearing it come from his lips, it sounded a lot different. Shaking her head, “It most certainly is not and if you value your life, I would quit it.”

Bucky laughed, grabbing her wrist gently, “You sure are cute, come on.” He dropped her arm when she refused to move, “It’s either you let us take you home right now or I will drag you into that mess and force you to dance with me.” He wiggled his eyebrows, “Either choice is fine with me.”

She rolled her eyes and trudged forward, her throat releasing an irritated sigh. “Fine, let’s go wonderboy.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Can I say that out of the pre-written chapters I had not a single one was about how they met? Hopefully this sheds light on how their relationship will blossom.

Are there any kind of chapter requests you'd like to see between Bucky and Rose? I need some ideas. Feed me :)

A HUGE thank you beautiful people,
Lily Barnes
acid_rain88
CharmedLuna
Lady Nikki Nightmare
Allbluerose
W00zzii
frank castle.
Arri-chan
alexander bernodotte
Rooskaya;
prayers.
Emmachibi
Bello Imperfections

Image