Race of a Lifetime

Chapter 4

“Got it,” Mia called from the computer. “We got it.”

“Yeah, we’re looking at four cameras,” Brian said.

“Yo, that’s some high-end shit, too,” Han said pointing at the screen. “Marker optics. Hundred- degree field-of-view. Ten seconds oscillation.”

“Yeah that’s a narrow window man,” Brian agreed.

“Can’t we just tap in and replace the image,” I asked.

“No, it’s hooked to a digital sync,” Tej explained. “They would know we were in the system. The best we can do is peek.”

“We’re going to need some real fast cars to get through this,” Rome sighed.

“Not just fast,” Han said. “You got a hard right and a hairpin. We’re going to need something agile.”

“You guys mock up a track. O’Conner’s,” Dom said gaining our attention. “Let’s go get some cars.” Grinning I jumped in my spot and skipped around towards Dom’s car, the others laughing at me.

“Hey she’s all yours man,” Rome laughed.

“Bout damn time you realized that,” Han said.

“Home sweet home,” Dom said as we reached the race.

“So what are we going after boys,” I asked leaning in between the seats. I frowned and smacked the back of my brother’s head as he stared at some strippers. The three of us got out and scoped the cars.

“Or that,” Brian said looking at one. I leaned around him to see a blue beauty. “How about that? All motor, no tuning issues. I always wanted one of those.”

“Alright Papa Smurf,” I teased nudging him.

“Held the record on the Avenida three years running,” a man said coming around noticing us. “Damn bro, you got a lot of balls to bring your problems here, Toretto. Not to mention a cop.”

“Yeah, we can keep that on the low.”

“Word on the street is a lot of people are looking for you three. What? You didn’t think we’d recognize you?”

“No, we’re kind of counting on it,” I smirked.

“That little coupe may run the streets around here,” Dom said before pointing to his car. “But that monster has never seen a set of tail lights. Ever.”

“Well she’s about to. Dominic Toretto’s ride in my garage. Now that… will by a nice trophy. Let’s go, legend. Car for car.”

“Car for car,” he asked.

“You want it, come and get it,” Diogo said.

“You do this one baby O’Conner,” Dom said handing the keys to me.

“You’re gonna let some chick take a change on losing your car,” he asked.

“Let me tell you something,” Dom said smirking. “This chick is the only person that’s been able to beat me in a race.” Spinning on my heels I bounced to the car.

“I got this boys,” I said pulling up to the starting line. Once the racer said ‘Go’ I was off and away before he could even think up catching up.

Grinning I got out of Dom’s car and motioned for Diogo to get out.

“You’re good girl,” he admitted letting me in. Laughing I followed Dom back to the warehouse.

“Really,” Rome said laughing at my coupe. “Where did you get that from? Papa Smurf?”

“That’s the same thing she asked me,” Brian laughed. I laughed sarcastically before flipping them off and walking over to Han’s side.

“I like the car,” he said wrapping his arms around me.

“Man, you are so whipped,” Rome laughed.

“Whatever,” Han scoffed. “Let’s just get going.”

“Okay, O’Conner, give it your best shot,” Dom said addressing my brother. We all watched the camera screens, waiting for one to catch him.

“How was that one,” he asked getting out of the car.

“Camera caught you,” Han said.

“What?”

“Yeah, it still caught you.”

“You were milking it, weren’t you,” I asked.

“Yeah I was.”

“We’re going to need a faster car,” Dom said.

“I’m still keeping mine,” I said pointing to the blue machine. Throughout the day we took turns riding in different cars, all of them catching at least one camera. I cringed when Santos hit one of the corners.

“That’s exactly why your ass ain’t been driving,” Rome called. My turn came around shortly after. I sped around every corner as fast as I could without losing control.

3rd POV

“I think I’m in love,” Han said following Elena’s movements around the corner.

“That’s my baby sister,” Brian whispered. “You hurt her; your ass is getting shot.”

Elena POV

“That was real solid work,” Rome said as I got out. “I think Camera 3 still caught you, though.”

“Damn,” I frowned. “Let’s do it again.” I ran through a couple more times before giving up. Dom hugged me before noticing that a package had arrived.

“What’s that,” he asked.

“That’s the vault,” Tej said walking down to it. The boys grabbed some drills and took off the wooden casing.

“That’s the piggy bank you ordered,” Tego asked.

“Damn,” I gaped.

“You’re kidding me,” Tej said. “Where in the hell did y’all get one of these?”

“Well, we had a life before you met us,” Han smirked. I bounced over and kissed his cheek.

“All right, I’ll get to work on the electronic tumbler,” our tech man said walking up to it. “But there’s still another problem. Palm scanner. And without Reyes’ handprint, Houdini himself couldn’t open this bitch.”

“How do you know it’s Reyes’ handprint,” Tego asked.

“You got a $100 million in a safe,” Tej said. “You going to put somebody else’s handprint on in?” Rolling my eyes I listened to Santos and Tego arguing.

“How are we supposed to get Reyes’ handprint,” Rome asked.

“Han,” Dom said. “You’re up.”

“Sure,” he said walking away. “Nothing like the easy stuff.”

“Let’s go,” I said grabbing my bag. “I’ll drive.” I felt him stare at me as I walked away. I caught Dom smirking at me as we left the warehouse.

“So what’s the plan,” he asked. I was nice enough to let him drive while I changed in the backseat.

“You’ll see,” I smirked. “Mia said that Reyes is gonna be at the beach today.”

We sat down at the bar and casually watched Reyes.

“I make six bodyguards,” Han said snacking on some chips.

“Seven,” I corrected. “You think that guy with a fanny pack is a tourist?”

“So, how long were you in the army,” he asked. “That gun you pulled the other day was a Jericho 941. Thumb-racking the slide? That was straight-up Mossad.”

“I got out of the military probably the same time you quit smoking,” I said turning to him. He looked at me in faint surprise. “The amount of chips you eat, the way you always have to keep your hands and mouth busy, you were a two-pack-a-day man for sure. Unfiltered.”

“Well, this is a bust,” Han said changing the subject. “We’re not going to be able to get his fingerprints out here. We need to do some more recon, call in a couple of extra guys.”

“Or,” I started. “You don’t send a man to do a woman’s job.”

Han POV

“Or,” she started. “You don’t send a man to do a woman’s job.”

Elena turned around and dropped the wrap, walking away in her black bikini. My eyes drifted to her ass as she swayed her hips. She made it to the guards but was stopped. I watched as Reyes motioned her forward. She smirked at me before she walked up and made small talk, sitting on his lap. Jealousy burned in me as he rubbed his hand down her back, resting on her ass. After a few minutes she stood back up and made her way over to me.

“Damn,” was all I could spit out.

Elena POV

“No need to get jealous,” I whispered in his ear. “I only have eyes for you.”

Grabbing my hand he dragged me back to the car.