What I Like About You

10

I woke up a week after the boys left for tour to my phone ringing. I sleepily felt around for it and answered it.

"Good morning, Pup." I mumbled.

"It's afternoon here, sweetheart." Calum chuckled. "But good morning to you."

I groaned, forgetting about the timezones. I looked at the time on the clock and realized I had to get up for school, groaning again.

"C'mon, babe, cheer up." Calum said. "After school, you get to go on your trip."

I grinned at that. Jasmine and I were going home for the weekend, back to my grandmother's house. My grandmother had raised both Jasmine and I from age 7, and we hadn't been back much since we started college. I was looking forward to a weekend spent with her and catching up with our old friends. Also, a distraction from missing Calum would be good.

I got up and started to get dressed, putting Calum on speaker.

"I know. I'm so excited!"

"I'm glad, Ken." Calum said. "You deserve it. But I have to go now, honey. Interview time."

I sighed, pulling on a shirt.

"Okay. Have fun, don't be too shy. You let Ash talk too much."

Calum laughed.

"Okay, baby, I'll talk more today."

"Good. I'll call you later, Pup."

"Have a good day, Ken."

Then, the phone line went dead and I finished getting ready for school as Jasmine came into the room.

"Ready?" She asked.

"Ready." I confirmed, walking out the door and towards school with her.

xxx


One I was done with class, I walked home to find Jasmine loading the car with the bags we'd packed.

"Don't wanna be driving too late." She said, her eyes sparkling with excitement.

I nodded and went inside, grabbing my bag and going out to the car, throwing it in.

Once we both got in the car, we started the hour long drive home.

For a while, we drove in silence, until Jasmine spoke up.

"How's Calum?" She asked.

I grinned, grabbing my phone from my bag, realizing I hadn't checked it at all today.

"He's good." I said, biting my lip. "I miss him, but he's good. What about Luke?"

"He's great." Jasmine smiled. "Sometimes I can't believe it, you know? I'm happy for the first time in a long time."

I smiled fondly at my friend, so happy for her.

"Yeah, I really am so happy, too."

Then, I looked down at my phone to see a text from Calum.

Call me when you get home so I know you got there okay.

I smiled at his concern and then focused on the road, noticing that we were already pulling into the familiar neighborhood.

"Oh, by the way, Nick texted me today, and he's having a party tomorrow night that he wants us to go to." Jasmine said, referring to our high school best friend.

"Great! Should be fun to see everyone."

Then, we pulled into our driveway, and a familiar figure stood on the front porch. I all but ripped the door open and ran towards her awaiting arms.

"Hey, baby." My grandmother said softly in my ear. "I missed you."

"I missed you too, Gram." I muttered, squeezing her tighter before moving so she could embrace Jasmine.

I went to the car while they reunited, grabbing our bags and hauling them inside.

We sat down in the living room and my grandmother brought us tea as we curled up on the couch.

"So, babies, tell me about your boys!" She exclaimed.

I almost chocked on my tea.

"What?" I asked, blushing wildly.

"They're so great, Gram." Jasmine said wistfully.

"How'd you know we were dating people?" I asked.

"Oh, I always know those things." She said, shrugging. "I'm just glad to see you girls happy after last year is all."

I gulped and stood up, suddenly wanting to go to bed.

"I'm so tired, so I'm going up to bed."

"She's going to go call Calum." Jasmine teased.

I stuck my tongue out at her and retreated upstairs to my childhood bedroom. I got changed and got into bed, dialing Calum's number.

It went to voicemail and I sighed.

"Hey, Pup. Just wanted to say we made it home okay. I'm going to sleep now but I'll talk to you soon."

I hung up and plugged my phone in, slowly drifting off to sleep, wondering what the weekend had in store for me.