Status: Completed Nov 1 2016

I'll Make You See It Was All Real

Chapter 39- Birthday Blues

Lucy’s Pov

“Lucy” I hear my name being called but I stay flat on the bed. The light pours through the open window not helping my headache. “Luce” I hear as there’s a knock on the bedroom door. “Rise and shine birthday girl” Elena says entering the room. “Lucy what’s the matter?” she asks rushing to the bed. “Everything” I mutter. “Oh Lucy. I take it last night didn’t go well” she says. “Well if you would call me answering Cris’s phone to find that bitch on the other line explaining how she couldn’t wait to come over and see him. Then yes it went bad” I say.

“She did what?” Elena asks in surprise. “Yup she did. I stormed out of this place. Had a silent journey to Coleen’s party. Avoided him the whole night. But of course he wanted to talk. Jezz he never wanted to talk this much when we were together” I say. “What happened when you and him talked?” she asks. “I finally asked him what I had always wondered. Why her? Why wasn’t I good enough for him” I say. “Lucy you are enough for him. Too good” she says.

“Urgh I can’t get that picture of the two of them together. Her voice on the phone” I say. “What else happened?” she asks. “I told him to go to her. That he didn’t need to hide her anymore. Then he said he would. That at least she fights for what she wants unlike me” I say sitting up in the bed.
“Stupid idiot” Elena says.

“I had actually started to… to like being around him again” I say. “I know you did sweetheart. I’m sure he was just angry and didn’t mean what he said” she says. “It doesn’t matter. I’m just going to concentrate on the baby and nothing else” I say. “What’s in the box?” she asks looking at the rectangular box on the bed.

“Take a look for yourself” I say as she opens the box. The sliver bracelet still in it. The charms still in place. “It’s beautiful” she says. “You can give it back to him” I say. “Lucy” she says. “I’m going for a shower” I say getting of the bed. “How about I make you a big birthday breakfast?” she asks. “I really couldn’t eat much. My stomach is in bits” I say. A quick shower and change of clothes make me feel half human again and I head for the kitchen. I stop and turn my head back towards the brown door that I haven’t being able to bring myself to go near in months. I walk towards it and my hand shakes as I twist the doorknob open. Still the same. The same jeans on the floor. The same make up thrown across the dressing table. The duvet on the floor from when Cris held me the night Tina died. “You must really miss her today?” Elena asks.

“She always said she’d surprise me with a huge big party or take me to Vegas for my 21st” I say wiping a tear away from my cheek. “Her 21st here in Manchester was crazy” she says. “Her party here was crazy. Ibiza was in its own league. I’m surprised you can go near tequila shots after that trip” I say.

“I haven’t had many since then” she grimaces. “I would have sucked it up too. If Tina had something crazy planned for my birthday” I say. “Even though you want something quiet and small” she says and I nod. “You were a good friend to her Lucy. Don’t forget that” Elena says. “It’s kind of hard to feel that way when she’s not here” I say. “Come on. You need to eat” she says linking my arm with hers and ushering me towards the kitchen. I laugh when I see the ballons. “Don’t look at me. These are all Jack. And he left me look like the fool carrying them around” Elena says as I look at the ballons shaped with a 2 and 1. “So what do you want to do today?” she asks. “Nothing. I’m not in the mood. It doesn’t feel right” I say. “How about a movie day?” she asks. “Surely you have something better to do the stay here with me?” I ask. “It’s your birthday. Plus Jack’s gone playing golf” she says rolling her eyes. “Go on so” I say.

After the morning spent watching movies, Elena leaves when Dad phones. “21 today. 21 today. My little girl is 21 today” he sings down the phone. “Hello Dad” I laugh. “Hi sweetie. Happy birthday” he says. “Thanks Dad” I say as I hear noise from his side. “I just rang to wish you a happy birthday. I’m a bit tied up at the minute so I’ll speak to you tomorrow. OK. I love you” he says. “Love you too” I say as he hangs up. That was weird.

My intercom buzzes and I walk over to answer it. “Hello” I say. “Delivery for Ms. Smith” the man says. “Come on up” I say buzzing the door open. A few minutes later there’s a knock on the door and I move to open it. “Ms. Smith” a young boy asks. “That’s me” I say my eyes landing on the roses in the young teens hands.

“These are for you. Can you sign this please?” he asks holding out a clip board. “Thanks” I say taking the flowers. “Have a good day” he says turning to leave. “Oh shit” I hear him say as I was just about close the door. “The card” he says rushing back to me as he fumbles it out of his pocket. “My Dad’s teaching me about work ethic” he says handing me the card. “Any chance you could tell who ever sent these to you that you got them in the morning. The guy was really insisted that you got them before 12 when he order them a few weeks ago” he says.

“Sure” I say and he runs off. I carry the flowers to the kitchen table. Even though I know who sent them I still gasp when I read the card.

“Feliz aniversário bonita. 21 flowers this year. Can’t wait for you 22nd though. Bubba and I will spoil you rotten" Love Cris xxx
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to ak9_sh and Jayme112234 for their comments.