Status: Completed Nov 1 2016

I'll Make You See It Was All Real

Chapter 40- A Good Surprise?

Lucy's Pov

“How much did you love your balloons?” Matt asks standing at my office door. “I have more at home” I laugh looking at the large balloons tied to a chair in my office. “21 you’re getting old” he jokes shutting the door behind him. “I’m younger than you Matt” I say leaning back in my chair. “But I don’t have a kid on the way” he says. “No you don’t” I mumble.

“How are you feeling?” he asks. Matt wasn’t exactly pleased that I was having a baby with Cristiano. But unlike Josh who didn’t even wish me a happy birthday, Matt was at least being friendly and caring. “So did you get up to anything exciting?” he asks. “Well I went to a friends party on Saturday” I say. “Ya I saw a lot about that party on the daily mail” Matt says. “And you give me and the rest of the girls in the office cheek for checking gossip sites” I joke.

“Being the gossip can’t be that much fun though” he says. “No it can’t” I say. “Come on lunch is on me” he says. “Everyone wants to feed me today” I say and he raises an eyebrow. “Elena is taking me for dinner tonight. And she’s not taking no for an answer” I say. “I’m sure it will be a good dinner” Matt smiles at me.

“Can’t we just get a take out?” I ask Elena later that night as she zips the back of my dress. “We’re all dressed up now. And you said you would have dinner with me for your birthday” Elena says. “Aren’t we a bit over dressed?” I ask. “You can never be over dressed. Plus I wanted to see you in the dress I bought you” she smiles. “It’s beautiful and I love it” I smile looking down at the short black long sleeve dress with sequin embellished shoulders.

“So let’s go. Now that you are finally ready” she says. I laugh. I opened the door to Elena in my dressing gown having told her ten minutes earlier that I was nearly ready. She just rolled her eyes. Cris always did that I think and shake my head. I shouldn’t be thinking like that.

“You should wear this” Elena says standing at my dresser. “No I’m sending it back” I say as she holds the bracket Cris got me in her hands. “Well if you are sending it back” she says walking back towards me. She takes my wrist and wraps it around. “What are?” I ask as she clasps the bracelet. “Something this gorgeous at least deserves to be worn once” she says.

“Elena” I say. “It’s not fair on the poor bracelet” she pouts making me laugh. “Fine. I’ll wear it. And you can give it back to Cris tomorrow ok” I say pulling my sleeve down to cover the sliver. “Fine” she says. Poor bracelet. Jezz I’d hate to know how much money I’m wearing around my wrist now I think walking out of my room. He spent 15,000 grand on my necklace. I barely knew him then. I hadn’t seen him since he stormed out of here the other night. I didn’t want to think about him. Or who he was with.

“So where are you taking me?” I ask pulling on my cream jacket. “That’s for me to know” she says tapping her nose. “We’re just going for dinner. Ya?” I ask. “I promise you Lucy that you and I will have dinner tonight” she smiles. “OK” I say. “That’s if you come on already” she says. “You should ask Jack to join us” I say as she messes with her phone in the taxi. “He has plans tonight” she replies. “Anyone interesting?” I ask as her phone beeps again. I’ve lost count how many times her phone has beeped since she arrived at my place tonight.

“Oh we’re here” she says as the taxi comes to a stop. I recognize the restaurant having been there a handful of times but I don’t know why Elena chose this place. “Are you sure it’s open? It’s very dark and there’s no one around” I say as the taxi drives away. “Come one” she says linking arms. “Good evening. May I take you coat?” a man asks once we enter the restaurant. “Yes thank you” I say. “My friend is worried that you aren’t open for business tonight” Elena smiles at the man. “We are open. “In fact I think it may be very busy” the man smiles and I swear I saw Elena wink at him. “Please follow me and I’ll show you to your table” he says. Ok why do I feel like I’m missing something?

As I follow Elena and the man, I can’t help notice how dark the place is. And quite. Really quite. “Elena” I say when suddenly the lights come up and I hear shouts of surprise ring around the room. I jump in shock and my heart races.

“What the hell?” I mutter looking at the people filed room. Coleen and Wayne and the rest of the girls and guys. Matt and a few from work. Dolores, Katia and Elma. So many people. What the hell? “Happy birthday. Like we were not going to do anything to celebrate” Elena grins. I’m greeted by everyone in the room and I can’t get my head around all of this.

“How did you…” I stutter. “Oh I thought you’d find out. I said to Jack that I was convinced you’d find out” she says. “Elena I can’t believe you did all this” I say in shock. “Oh I only had to get you here. This has got nothing to do with me” she grins. “What?” I ask. “A late birthday present. Turn around” she says indicting with her fingers for me to do so.

“Hello sweetie” I hear and I turn to find my Dad standing behind me. “Dad” I shout in shock wrapping my arms around him. “What are you doing here?” I ask. “I couldn’t miss my daughter’s big birthday. Well I know I’m a day late but..” he stutters. “But we are finally here. Happy birthday Lucy” Lisa says nudging dad away to hug me. “Oh it’s so good to see you” I say hugging her. “I can’t believe you flew to England. That’s what you were up to yesterday” I say. “Best flight I’ve ever had. Even if he’s a United wanker, the boy comes in handy for a private jet” Dad grins and I frown in confusion.

“Cristiano flew us over” Lisa whispers to me as Dad chats to Elena. “He did?” I ask. “Yes he did” she smiles softly at me. “Happy birthday Lucy” Dolores says appearing at my side. “Thank you” I say as she hugs me tightly. “Maé you’ll squeeze all her breath out” Katia jokes. “You all came” I say looking at Elma, Katia and Dolores. “Of course we did” Katia says. “You look wonderful. How is my grandchild?” Dolores asks.

“Starving like it’s Mama I bet” I hear Cristiano say and I slowly turn to face him. It’s the first time I’ve seen him since he stormed out of my apartment. And looking at him now, my mind is struggling to remember what we fought about. “Well I’m hardly going to say no to food” I say ending the silence.

“Cris stop yacking and get everyone seated. We’re running behind schedule as it is” Elena says and he rolls his eyes. “You’re the one who was late” he says to Elena and I try not to laugh. “It’s not my fault this one takes ages to get ready” Elena says looking at me.

“Well I wasn’t exactly aware I needed to be somewhere” I say. “Well can the guest of honour move her fat ass and sit down. And you go tell them they can start serving the food” she says to Cris. “One you’re bossy and two her ass isn’t fat” he says. “I’m not bossy” Elena huffs.

“One no arguing, two I have a great ass but I’m also pregnant so don’t mention anything about being fat, three he’s right you are bossy but I love. And four” I day linking arms with her. “Let’s shut up and eat” I smile rolling my eyes at Cris who’s trying not to laugh.

“You came yesterday?” I ask Dad as I sip my water. “Late last night” he replies. “I’m very surprised that they managed to hide this from you” he says. “Well some people have past experience when it comes from hiding things from me” I say looking towards Cris’s table. “Yet he still can’t let you in the past” Lisa whispers to me. “I’m pregnant with his child” I point out. “He’d still be here fighting for you if you weren’t. It’s nice to see him fighting for what he wants” Lisa says. “Cos I never fight for what I want” I mumble. “Sorry” she says. “Something between her and Cris” Elena says.

“You could have warned me” I say to Elena. “It wouldn’t have been a surprise then” she smirks. “Elena you shouldn’t have done all of this” I say. “It wasn’t me” she says. “What do you mean?” I ask and she looks at Lisa. “Tell her” Lisa says. “Tell me what?” I ask. “He’s had this planned for weeks Lucy” Elena says. “Who?” I ask needing to hear her say the words.

“Do I really have to say it?” she asks. “Yes” I say. “Cristiano” she says and I look across the room to his table. “He’s an idiot but he loves you. I’ll give him that much” Elena says. “He just wanted you to have a nice birthday” Lisa says to me. Well since I’m the reason everyone is here, I should go mingle” I say excusing myself from my table.

I spend the next while chatting and laughing with everyone who made the effort to come. Coleen couldn’t stop smiling at the thought that I hadn’t realized about tonight. “Did you get enough desert?” Nuno asks as I approach his table. Cris turns his head over his shoulder to look at me. “You know me Nuno, I can never get enough ice cream” I smile. “The choc chip was delicious. Ronnie here had all strawberry. A selection means different one I keep telling him” Nuno says as I fiddled with the end of my sleeve. “Guess I’ve started to like strawberry” Cris shrugs.

“Anyway save a dance for me Lucy” Nuno says moving to stand up from his chair. “Dancing?” I ask. “It’s a party” he says. “It’s a small dinner” Cris says to him. “Potato patato. Now I’m going to check on the one thing you need at a birthday party” Nuno says. “What is your cousin trying to say?” I ask Cris when Nuno leaves the table. “What?” I ask when he laughs. “Just got a sense of déjà vu” he says. “Nuno’s odd. Of course I’ve asked that before. “He was referring to your birthday cake” Cris says. “Cake” I say and he laughs. “

Hey I’m a sucker for cake. Sue me” I say tapping his shoulder. “What is it?” I ask. “It’s a surprise” he says. “No fair. Tell me” I ask. “Nope. You’ll just have to sit and wait” he says. “You know I’m not good with surprises” I say taking a seat in Nuno’s vacant seat. Something which surprised Cris as he doesn’t hide his shock well.

“You haven’t exactly had many good surprises in your life” he says. “But this one is” I say. “Ya?” he asks smiling. “Ya” I smile. I can’t help but not especially when he looks at me with his goofy happy smile. My smile turns to a frown though when I hear singing and I hold my head in my hands as a chorus of happy birthday starts to get louder and people come nearer the table.

“Just think of the cake” Cris whispers pulling my hands from my face. “Couldn’t have gotten candles with just numbers?” I ask Elena as the huge rectangle cake is placed on the table in front of me with I’m guessing are twenty one lit candles on top. “That’s cheating. Now come on. I want some cake” she says ushering me to blow out the candles.

I look at Cris and he’s watching me closely. “Make a wish Lucy” he says. My hand moves to my stomach and I close my eyes.

“Please let our family be ok” I wish as I blow the candles out to cheers.
♠ ♠ ♠
Will Lucy start seeing Cris is a new light? What did you think of the surprise?

A big long chapter today. Hope you enjoy.

Thanks to ak9_sh and Jayme112234 for their comments.