Status: Completed Nov 1 2016

I'll Make You See It Was All Real

Chapter 60- Like Old Times

Cristiano’s Pov

“Jezz Lucy would you like another plate?” Nuno asks and the whole table laughs as Lucy moves her finger along the plate before licking his finger clean. “Two plates were enough I think. But you can leave me a slice just in case I get peckish during the night of you like” she smiles as Nuno clears the table. I sit across from her watching her laugh with Elma and Maé and I can’t help but smile. I know how hard today was for her but’s she’s dealing with it well. I guess Josh’s sudden realization that no one was to blame for Tina’s death and that hurting Lucy was wrong has literally lifted a huge weight off her shoulders. “So I know Lucy wants desert but would anyone else like some?” Nuno asks opening the fridge.

“I’m fine. I’m stuffed” Elma says. “Me too. I think I’m going to lie down and read my book before bed” Maé says. “Are you ok?” I ask knowing her chemo session had was tough on her. “I just want- some peace and quiet to watch her tv show” Lucy says. “She knows me so well this one” Maé says tapping Lucy’s head. “Maybe you could phone André” I say and the room goes quiet and everyone looks at me. “What?” I shrug. “I may do that” Maé says. “You know if he wants to come stay…you know like…he can” I stutter.

“Oh well” Maé says in shock. “Elma says he’s a good cook and I’d love to try something he has made. See if he can compete with Nuno” Lucy smiles. “Trust you to think of the food” Nuno says. “She’s growing my grandson or granddaughter so she can have whatever she likes” Maé says. “Any idea what you’re having yet?” Elma asks and I’m suddenly bought back to the other night when Lucy came here during the storm and told me about her nightmare of Tina taking our son. “I don’t know” Lucy says. “Are you going to find out? It would help when decorating the nursery” Elma says and I notice Lucy straighten in her seat. “There’s no rush with the nursery until the end of summer” I tell Elma. “And I..we haven’t really talked about finding out about the sex” Lucy says as Nuno places a bowl of ice cream in front of Lucy. We haven’t really talked at all I think.

“Concentrate on the here and now. If I don’t see you all goodnight” Maé says and leaves the table with Elma. “What’s so funny?” Lucy asks when I laugh. “You have a little bit” I say leaning over the table and I brush the ice cream at the side of her mouth away with my thumb. “Uh thanks” she says licking her lips. “So” she says digging her spoon in the bowl. “So” I say leaning back in my chair. “Are you just going to sit there and watch me eat?” she asks. “It’s a nice sight. It’s good to see that you’ve got your appetite back” I say. “Well I’m happy I no longer have any nausea” she says. “I’ll do the wash up Nuno if you have something to do” I say hoping he’d take the hint and leave. “The dishwasher has saved you the job” he says taking a seat next to me.

“Who’s up for a movie?” Lucy asks. “Nothing girly” Nuno says. “How about Shrek” I smile hoping Nuno won’t want to watch. “Seriously?” Nuno groans. “No. I only watch that with Rodrigo. But I’m sure we can find something. Come on” Lucy says standing. “You coming Cris?” Nuno asks. “I’ll be right there” I say. Everything feels so normal and right yet I don’t know if she wants me to sleep in the same room as her tonight. “So what did ye pick?” I ask when I walk into the movie room.

“Fast and Furious” Nuno says. “Really?” I ask. “Action and cars” Nuno says. “And Paul Walker for me. Everyone wins” she smiles and I take a seat next to her. “I’m not sure we should drive tomorrow after watching that. It makes me want to be a boy racer” Nuno jokes a couple of hours later as the movie finishes. ”You both shouldn’t drive at times full stop” Lucy says lifting her head from my shoulder. “Hey I can drive” Nuno says. “I’ve heard the stories Nuno” she says. “You can’t believe anything Cris tells you” Nuno says and the room goes quiet.

“I mean about my driving. Everything else you can. I mean…” he stutters. “I’m going to bed. I’ll see you two boys in the morning” she says standing. “Thanks for dinner Nuno” she says placing a kiss on his cheek before leaving the room. “Cris I’m sorry it just slipped out” Nuno says. “It’s fine. I better go get my phone before she falls asleep. Don’t want to wake her” I say. Since she said she’d see us in the morning I guess that means I’m sleeping in the spare room tonight.

I find my room empty except for Marcosa sitting on the bed but can hear Lucy moving around the bathroom. I walk over to my bedside cabinet and unplug my phone from it’s charger. “Shit” I say as I knock my lap over. “Oh it’s you” Lucy says and I turn to find her standing at the bathroom door. I gulp at the sight in front of my eyes. Her loose flowing hair down her shoulders. Her bare legs. And the shirt long enough…. “Um ya I was just unplugging my phone and knocked over the lap” u say. “I thought Marcosa was up to no good” she jokes holding the toothbrush in her hand. “Nope just me” I say straighten the lamp.

“I didn’t expect you to be in here” she says. “I just came for my charger” I sigh. “I thought you and Nuno were staying up longer. I figured I’d be asleep before you came up” she says. Wait does that mean she was expecting me to sleep in here tonight? “All talked out with Nuno” I say. “Well you might not be saying that when you’re laying next to me while I watch the Liverpool match highlights” she says. I smile thinking I could never complain about laying next to her. “I don’t mind” I say. “Good you can find the channel while I finish up in here” she says heading back into the bathroom. I find the remote and take a seat and the bottom of the bed and can’t help the smile that’s spread across my face. “It’s on” I call out and she comes rushing into the bedroom. I watch as she throws back the covers of the bed and the shirt slides up her leg.

“What?” she asks when she catches me staring. “Nothing” I say. “Well go do nothing somewhere else. Go get ready for bed while I watch these highlights. It should be finished by the time you’re done admiring your abs in the mirror” she smirks. I stand from the bed and pull my shirt over my head and catch her looking at me. “When you look like this darling, it’s hard not to” I wink. “Don’t call me darling” she says and I laugh as I catch the pillow coming towards me. “Watch your beloved team” I say throwing the pillow back to her.“What was the final result?” I ask. “I don’t know. I never checked” she says.

“Tut Tut tut. And you call yourself a fan” I joke. “I was a little busy in case you have forgotten” she says. “I know” I say. “Oh come on. How could he miss that” she yells at the TV and I head into the bathroom. After a few minutes I hear her shout. “Are you ok?” I call out. “Ya fine. I just dropped the remote on the floor” I hear her say as I rinse my toothbrush under the tap. “I’ll get it. Just give me a sec” I yell. “No it’s fine I’ll get it” she says. “Lucy and patience. Don’t tend to go together at times” I mumble to myself. “Ouch” I hear her yell. “Everything ok out there?” I ask. “Fine. I just hit my finger on the bedside table” she huffed.

“Urgh I think it’s gone under the bed” she moans and I laugh. Knowing her she’s going to end up hitting her head on the bed. “The bed” I say dropping the toothbrush. “Lucy wait” I say rushing out. “Found it” she calls out and I find the mother of my soon to be child kneeling under the bed. “Oh” she says and I just know she’s found what I think she has found. “What is this?” she asks sitting back down on the floor as she pulls the white box with a red bow from under the bed. I guess today is as good as any for her to receive it I think. Since it is sort of our anniversary in a way.

“You can open it” I say. “I wasn’t..” she stutters. “It’s ok. It was never meant for me anyway” I say taking a seat on the bed. She looks at me in confusion before carefully moving to unwrap the bow. I watch as she sits with her legs under her on the floor as she moves slowly. I tap my fingers on my knee anxious for her to unwrap the box quickly as I close my eyes. She lifts the lid of the box and places it on the floor. For the love of God can she move quicker I think as I hear the rustling of the paper in the box been moved by her fingers. And then comes a gasp and I open eyes to look down at her. Her head flips up and our eyes meet.

“What?...When?..Where did?...” she stammers in complete surprise. “Getting the shirt was easy. Asking for the Liverpool Captain to sign it and smile in wonder why I was asking him to do it now that was another thing all together” I say. Her fingers run over the glass frame which held the signed jersey. “It was meant to be you Christmas present but….” I pause as she looks up at me. Before everything went to hell I think. “I meant to give it to you on your birthday but things got in the way. I guess it’s fitting you get a present today” I mumble. “Why today?” she asks. “Nothing. Now why don’t you get off the floor and get into bed” I smile.

“Help me up please?” she asks holding her hand out. “Careful” I say as she sways. “Why today?” she asks moving to sit on my lap. “Luce it’s late. Let’s go to bed” I say. “Cris” she says. “It’s a year since I first saw you ok” I say. “Actually since you heard me” she smiles and I laugh and bring my arms around her waist. “Thank you for the jersey” she smiles. “Your welcome” I reply kissing her forehead.

“When did you start wearing this to bed?” I ask my fingers brushing her shoulder over my jersey. It had taken me a while to realise she had been wearing my old Portugal jersey the other night when she came here. I was too worried to realise. “I don’t know. I just sort of end up wearing it. I feel less anxious and safe” she whispers. “Red and green suits you” I whisper brushing my thumb over her cheek. “I remember you saying what was underneath was better” she whispers. “Luce” I groan and she places a kiss on my mouth. She moves her head back but I capture her mouth and flip her onto her back.

I smile when I open my eyes as memories of last night run through my mind. I stretch my hand out but find the space next to me empty. I sit up and wonder where Lucy was. “Mana” she smiles exiting the bathroom. “Morning” I smile in relief that she hadn’t left.

“What?” she asks. “You look pretty” I smile. “Thank you” she says picking up the jersey frame from the ground. “What are you doing?” I ask. “I’m going to have some breakfast and then I’m taking this to the office” she smiles. “Why?” I ask. “Do you know how jealous Josh is going to be when he sees it” she laughs. “And that you’ve met you know who” I say.

“You mean Captain fantastic. How long should I wait before rubbing that in Josh’s face? Like since we are just talking again maybe I should wait a little bit before telling him” she says. “Maybe. How are you feeling?” I ask. “Yesterday was hard but it was the right time” she says. “Ok” I say. “Right I’m starving” she smiles. “You worked up an appetite last night” I mumble and her cheeks pink. “Cris” she says. “Luce I’ve just woken up and I really don’t want us to have a conversation that’s going to ruin my day until at least the afternoon” I sigh. “I was just going to ask you something about the baby” she says. “Oh. Right. Sorry. What is it? You’re ok. Aren’t you?” I ask. “Ya I’m fine. It was just something that Elma said last night” she says.

“There’s no rush with a nursery Luce” I say. “I know. That I’m not ready for just yet. But I meant what she said about finding out the sex of the baby” Lucy says. “What about it?” I ask. “Do you want to find out?” she asks. “Would you like to find out?” I ask. “I asked you first” she says. “Ladies first” I smirk and she rolls her eyes. “I don’t know. Sometimes I want to know and then I don’t want to know” she sighs. “Why don’t we wait” I say. “Ya?” she asks. “The surprise will be nice” I say even though there’s part of me dying to know if the baby is a boy or girl. “Surely finding out about the baby was enough of a surprise?” she asks.

“Well another one won’t do any harm” I say. “So we’ll wait until the birth” she says. “Unless you want to find out?” I ask. “No we’ll wait. The surprise will be nice” she smiles. “Ya it will” I smile. “Ok I’m hungry so enough chit chat” she smiles and I watch her leave my room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Are Lucy and Cristiano starting to fall back into old times?

Thanks to Saoirse710 and Jayme112234 for their comments.