Status: Work in progress

Queer Maria.

Chapter 3

"He skateboards, he does photography." Jack rambled to Rian about their possible new bandmate as the two boys walked into school together. "And get this, he plays without a pick." Rian's eyes widened at this and Jack smirked at him knowingly. Rian knew enough about the bass guitar to know how difficult it was to play with your bare hands. This unknown Zack dude must have some serious talent, he thought to himself. "He lives on the other side of Towson," Jack said, "but I think we could make it work." Jack sent his friend a goofy smile, making Rian smile in return. He was actually quite excited to meet this new guy now.

Zack lay on his bed listening to a rewritable CD full of all his favourite bands and surfing Myspace on his laptop. Suddenly, he received an AIM message from his new friend Jack, startling him a little.
JACK: Hey Zack, tellin Rian bout u 2day. He luvs u n can't w8 2 meet u! Zack smiled as he read over the message. He started tapping out a reply, his fingers unknowingly typing to the rhythm of Sum 41, which was blaring out of his stereo.
ZACK: That's gr8! I'm flattered. :) He waited a few seconds and soon enough, Jack's reply came through.
JACK: U oughta b. Rian's not usually very social. Zack frowned at this.
ZACK: Dam. :( I hope an added person won't b a problem then. Zack's stereo changed to Third Eye Blind just as he hit send, making a small smile creep across his face.
JACK: Nah, ur fine. He's just a little antisocial, keeps 2 himself a lot. Zack smiled, relieved.
ZACK: Gd. I mean, I totally get it. I'm a little like that sometimes 2! Can't w8 2 meet u all tho.
JACK: U 2 bro! Anyway, I'm at band practice with Alex right now n he's yelling at me 2 get off the computer n play my guitar so I'm gonna log off! Plus, Rian'll be here soon n that's when things tend 2 get srs LOL. Zack chuckled to himself as he replied.
ZACK: Alright bro, no worries! Have a gd band practice!
JACK: Thx, I'm sure we will. :) Zack smiled as he closed his laptop, and got off his bed, jumping onto his feet and stretching. He was already liking these guys and he hadn't even met them in person yet. He was so excited to meet them. He hoped they liked him. His smile stayed with him as he left his bedroom, leaving his door ajar and his stereo blaring as he walked downstairs and went into the kitchen to grab himself some food.
-
Jack sat on his bed. It was getting late, he knew, and it wouldn't be long before his parents started shouting at him to get some sleep, reminding him that he had school in the morning. But he didn't care because he was finally talking to Zack again. His family's clunky laptop sat atop his lanky, hairy legs as his fingers clumsily hit the keys, making typos galore but he didn't bother to correct his mistakes, knowing that Zack would understand. He always seemed to. They were making plans for Zack to meet Jack and the rest of the band, something that Jack was unbelievably excited for. Zack seemed so cool and Jack knew the guys would love him. He was as good as in the band at this point, honestly.
ZACK: Anythin I should know be4 I meet the others? :D Jack laughed as he read the message. He began to type out his reply.
JACK: Nope! Not serial killers, pwomise. xD Jack hit enter, sitting and waiting for Zack's reply for what felt like an eternity.
ZACK: Haha. U sure? :P Jack was about to start replying when another message came through.
ZACK: Dam! Parents tellin me 2 go 2 bed. Sorry. See u next Sat @ 10, yeah? Jack smiled to himself.
JACK: Yeah, man! Night night, Zacky :P Zack had told Jack that he hated that nickname a few days earlier and since then, Jack had taken it upon himself to wind Zack up with it at every chance he got.
ZACK: Watch it, Jacky! :P Goodnight. Jack logged off and closed the laptop, putting it away and getting into bed, smiling to himself as his eyes slipped closed. They finally had a bassist.
-
It was Friday, the day before Zack was due to travel over to Lutherville-Timonium to meet the guys. It was the evening, not long after school had finished. Alex was a nervous wreck about meeting Zack. He always was when it came to new people. He was so frightened that everyone he met would somehow find out his secret. He decided that staying cooped up in the house wasn't doing him any good. He got off of his bed, the broken springs making a loud noise as he moved. He slipped into his shoes, not bothering to tie the laces. He just needed to get some fresh air before he went crazy. He had his hand on the door handle, opening the door. He was about to finish leaving his bedroom when something by his stereo caught his eye. Lipstick. He had been messing with it about a month ago now. He never realised that he had left it in plain sight like that. Suddenly, Alex's mind went back to a few weeks earlier, to the last time Jack and Rian were at his house. Alex had asked Rian to put on Green Day while him and Jack had grabbed some food. Rian said he saw lipstick. This must have been the lipstick Rian saw. Alex found himself letting go of the cold door handle, leaving the door ajar and instead walking over to the stereo and picking up the lipstick. He held the tiny object in his large hands. He found himself thinking about everything that had happened the past few weeks, the weeks since that incident. It had all been a blur as they'd been so busy with school and organising Zack's visit. They hadn't really had time to sit down and talk about band stuff. The only band meetings they'd had, had been about Zack. As Alex stared at the cosmetic product in his hands, he began to realise the impact that incident had, had. He hadn't talked to Rian one on one since it happened, the two only ever spending time together when Jack was also involved. In fact, it was almost as if Rian had been avoiding him. But why? It was only an awkward moment, Alex thought. Nothing to get hung up on. He knew where he had to go now, and it certainly wasn't just to get some fresh air.

Alex banged on Rian's front door. It was beginning to get dark and the teenager hoped his friend would be up. They all had an early start tomorrow to prepare for Zack's visit so he would understand if he didn't get an answer. Just as that thought crossed his mind though, Rian's mom, Kathi, answered the door. Alex smiled at her confused expression. Neither him or Jack ever called this late and he hated that he had disturbed Rian's family in the night time but he needed to talk to Rian right now.
"Hi, Mrs. Rogers." He said, making sure not to call her Mrs. Dawson. He'd made that mistake once, when it was still unbeknownst to him that the man in the house was Rian's stepdad. "I know it's late, and I am really sorry for calling at this hour but I really need to see Rian. Is he there?" Her face softened, a smile breaking out at the teenager standing before her. She turned her body slightly so that she was facing the stairs behind her and called for Rian. She left the door ajar, going back into the living room where she was situated before Alex had called.
"Yeah, mom?" Alex heard Rian's voice only a moment after he'd heard his bedroom door creak. Alex called up to Rian from his place outside.
"It's Alex!" Alex heard the sound of Rian's feet coming down the stairs and suddenly, his friend came into view, stopping once he was standing by the front door, facing Alex shyly. Rian's expression was Alex's confirmation that the boy had been avoiding him. He tried not to feel hurt.
"What's up?" Rian crossed his arms on his chest and Alex found himself realising how cute his friend looked when he was feeling shy. Alex smiled a little, trying to be reassuring as he pulled the lipstick out from his sweater pocket. Rian's face fell as he laid eyes on the cosmetic.
"This the one you saw?" Rian nodded, his mouth going dry. Alex walked closer to him and Rian stumbled back a little but Alex grabbed his hand before the slightly younger boy could run off. He forced Rian's hand open, placing the lipstick into Rian's palm and closing the boy's fingers around it. "Put it on." Rian's face twisted into a look of confusion once again, his breathing heavy from being so close to Alex.
"What?" He asked, taken aback. He had no idea what had gotten into his friend.
"Put it on." Alex repeated, voice a little firmer this time. Alex let out a small, breathy chuckle at his friend's reaction and Rian felt as though he could feel it on his face for how close they were. "Let's just say I lied." Alex's whole body was shaking with fear but he felt like Rian would understand. As anxiety plagued both teenagers' brains, Alex did something that confused even him. He kissed Rian's cheek, before letting go of the boy's hand and walking away from Rian's home, leaving his friend standing there in utter confusion, his grip on the lipstick tight as his chest heaved and the cold air bit at his pale skin.