Always

can I ask you something?

The two friends arrived at the costume trailer and separated. Johnny was hurrying his butt off trying to get out before Samantha. He wanted to take her somewhere that night to thank her for all she had done. And maybe if he let his heart pick over his mind, he'd ask her out. But he was trying hard not to think of that. He grabbed his leather jacket and walked outside. He shrugged it on and leaned against the tree that was next to her trailer. 'What is taking her so long?' He thought. 'Not like she has to get dolled up just for me. No matter what she wears she'll look amazing. Stop right there Johnny. Don't go there.' He was broken out of his thoughts by Samantha accidentally slamming the trailer door. She jumped and looked behind her. Johnny chuckled and pulled his pack of cigarettes out of his pocket. He lit one and took a drag.

"You know I wish you'd stop that." Samantha murmured. Johnny glanced at her as he blew out the smoke.

"Yeah why?" He asked. She always said that when he lit up. Curiosity was killing him.

"Cuz I lost my uncle to it." She answered quietly. Johnny stopped bringing the cigarette to his mouth and glanced between her and it. She wouldn't look at him. It looked like she as crying.

'Wow. That's new.' Johnny thought. He took one more look at the crying girl in front of him and without a second thought dropped the cancer stick and crushed it with his toe. Right in front of her. He placed his finger under her chin and gently pushed up. She looked at him. He was right; she was crying. He held up the pack and said "watch." He walked to a garbage can and dumped them. Samantha looked at him in shock.

'He just did that for me?! All cuz I asked him to?!' He walked back and used his thumb to wipe her tears away; just like she had a week ago. He pressed his lips together, fighting the urge to kiss her. Little did he know, she was doing the same. Instead she wrapped her arms around his neck suddenly. He tensed for a second then wrapped his arms around her waist. They stood like that for a while.

"We better go. Reservations and all......" Johnny said breaking away. As soon as the parted, both felt like their arms were empty and cold. To solve this, Johnny placed his arm around her shoulders like always but this time he reached for her hand. He was shocked when she seemed to know exactly what he wanted and placed her hand in his: intertwining their fingers. Her arm took its usual place around his waist. They walked to his car. Samantha reached for the door handle but Johnny beat her to it. "M'lady." Johnny said opening the door and sweeping his arm in front of him.

Samantha laughed and said, "why thank you kind sir." She got in and Johnny ran round the front. He got in and started the car. He drove off and soon they were in front of a very nice restaurant. "Wow." Samantha whispered as they pulled up. Johnny chuckled and quickly git out of the car. He ran over to her door and opened it.

"Hope you don't mind. Only place I knew that was fancy and yet still served burgers." He said with a laugh. Samantha glanced at him. He had one hand on the door and the other was held out to her. She took it and got out. They resumed their previous position and walked into the restaurant. When they were seated, Johnny held out her chair and treated her like a queen. Samantha had a steady blush on her cheeks the entire time.

"So gentlemanly tonight. What's the occasion Johnny?" She asked.

"No reason. Can't I be nice to the girl who helped me out so much?" He answered. They looked at each other for a long time. The waiter came by and they ordered.

"A coke and uhm cheeseburger please." Samantha ordered. Johnny glanced at the menu to avoid looking at her bite her nail. He didn't realize how much of an effect that little action had on him. Neither did she.

"You know what I'll have the same thing." He said. The waiter nodded and walked away.

"So what is the meaning of all this? Not that I don't like it. Just my friend, you have never done anything like this before." Samantha said resting her elbows on the table with her hands clasped and her chin on top of her hands.

Johnny copied her and said, "just a small thank you. For all you have done for me." Samantha let out a small giggle.

"You call this a small thank you?! This is a big thank you!" She said. Johnny shrugged.

"You deserve it." He said back. Samantha shook her head at him. He glanced up as the waiter placed their glasses of soda on the table. Samantha reached for hers and took a sip. She looked around the room. It was fancy but not too fancy. Johnny took that time to look at her and decide what he wanted to do. He glanced over at the piano and thought 'maybe I can play that song she loves so much for her later. The one from Sweeney Todd. But which one? One I sing for sure. But is it.......the one with Alan......pretty women! That's it! Maybe....' He was brought out of his thought by sound of that exact song playing. He raised an eyebrow and Samantha scrambled for her phone and looked at the caller id.

"Oh I have to take this! I'm so sorry Johnny." She said as she answered. As she talked he looked at her. He took in just how blue her eyes were and how nice her short brown hair looked in the dim light and smirked at her choice of clothing: a dark pair of jeans, a pair of Nikes, a black leather motorcycle jacket, and, his favorite, a tee shirt with her favorite character on it, Sweeney Todd with the quote we all deserve to die even you Mrs Lovett even I. Her phone what pressed to her ear but he could still see the case: Edward scissorhands holding Kim. She had told him she loved that picture so much. It was also her lock screen. He smiled. She hung up and took a deep breath. "Sorry. That was my friend. My aunt just went into the hospital. Just needed stitches for a cut she got. All is good." Samantha said, running her hands through her hair and taking a sip of her soda. At that moment Johnny made up his mind. He would ask.

"So what do you think of me?" Johnny asked.

"What?" Samantha squeaked. 'Did he just ask what I think of him?! What do I say?!' She thought.

"What do you think of me? Like as a friend, a person, actor." Johnny said. Samantha gulped.

"Truth? Well I think you are an amazing actor. I mean you can do almost anything. As a person you are so sweet and caring and it seems like you can't be human the way you are so nice to everyone. Uhm as a friend you are............I think you are perfect. You are always there when I need you and you always listen and you never judge me. You are handsome and just over all amazing." Samantha finished. 'Wait did I just tell him he's handsome?'

'Did she just call me handsome?' "Wow. Uh thank you. That's.......that's..........Wow." Johnny said getting embarrassed. Samantha blushed.

"What do you think of me?" She asked him.

"Truth?"

"Truth."

"I think you are amazing at acting. Better than me for sure. Uh you are sweet, caring, nice, so smart, and so pretty. You are always there when I need you and you always listen to me." Johnny rushed out. Samantha blushed a deeper red. Johnny covered his nervousness by taking a gulp from his drink.

"Thank you Johnny." Samantha whispered. At that moment, Johnny saw a young girl who had been teased and bullied and picked on and never the one who got what she wanted. He saw himself in high school and saw someone who had never been told what was the best of her. He reached out and took her hand. She looked up at him. She saw in his eyes recognition. Recognition of all the things she had to go through. "Samantha can I ask you something?" Johnny asked.