Sequel: Secrets 2: SuperTeen
Status: All chapters have been re-edited and completed. I'm sorry for any inconveniences.

Secrets

12- Betrothal

[Flashback before chapter 11]

Malia stood among the crowd with a drink in hand staring at the guests who had been invited to she and Nicholas' betrothal ceremony. It had taken her a bit by surprise. Actually, she had expected Nicholas to ask for her hand but she didn't expect it to be so soon and certainly not directly from his family and not him since he admitted that he was shocked too.

Apparently, Emma had informed her father-in-law about she and Nicholas and although he had chastised her for eavesdropping, he had considered the recent development. It also didn't help that Nicholas kept visiting for almost two weeks. So, the next time her grandfather visited the king, he had informed him and King Alexander agreed that his second son had been acting different.

After confronting Nicholas, the king decided that it was time for him to get at least betrothed especially when the other lords had been planning on setting Nicholas up with their daughters since the eldest was soon to be married and men were starting to notice Malia. Another reason was because the king and her grandfather wanted to become united through marriage.

So, after arguments, confrontations and a lot of convincing with Nicholas, her family and Annabel, she reluctantly agreed. And her grandfather had also promised that if she wanted to back out of the engagement, then she was free to but she had to show him that she put a lot of effort into it first.

'It's just an engagement' Annabel had said. "It's not like you're getting married...yet'.

'I know it just seems too fast. Couldn't they have waited a little longer?'she had replied.

And now, here she was a week later at her betrothal ceremony and she had to admit, it wasn't bad.

"Having fun?" a voice asked behind her.

She turned and saw Nicholas' brother Aidan smiling down at her. "Your highness." she bowed down slightly.

"How're you doing? Haven't seen you since your welcoming party."

"I've been around."

"So, you're engaged to my brother."

"Yeah."

"Are you happy?" He was still smiling but there was hint of seriousness underneath "I know my brother can be a bit...of a handful."

"Yes. I am actually and Nicholas is fine." she replied smiling genuinely.

"Good."

"Good." She replied as a young lady walked up to them and stood beside Aidan. She looked to be about six months pregnant Malia guessed.

"I'd like you to meet my wife Evelyn." Adrian said and the two women bowed at each other.

"Nice to meet you."

"Likewise."Evelyn replied with a strange look an her face with her blonde hair in a neat bun.

The couple walked away just as Annabel came up to her.

"That's our future queen? Our kingdom is completely lost."

"Don't be rude." Malia chastised but couldn't fight the smile off her face.

"Malia." Nicholas smiled as he walked up to her, "Annabel nice to see you again.

"Your highness."Both girls girls greeted.

"One of the elders' asked to see you." he said breathless.

"Have you been running?"

"Kinda. You have a lot of enemies among the girls now."

"Wow how will i ever survive?" she asked sarcastically.

He smiled and pulled her with him towards another end of the ballroom where an old man sat. He looked really pale and skinny with sunken eyes and was sitting alone.

"Malia it's good to see you again. Although I'm sure you don't remember me but i first met when you were born."

Malia smiled politely even though every part of her was uncomfortable. The man was unsettling. He had a sinister smile and she couldn't feel any heat from his body. It felt cold as ice when he took her hand in his and pressed a kiss to it. As soon as he let go she unconsciously grabbed Nicholas' hand for warmth and he slowly guided her away after smiling politely at the man.

"He felt so cold." she whispered.

"How'd you know?"

"I don't know... I just felt it."

"We're going to start training soon. Maybe then you can figure everything out."

"Okay."

Then the host began to announce the closing ceremony and called Malia and Caleb to the front.

"We're up."

[End of flashback]