Immortal

Birthday

"Baby, honey, please. He's surviving. They said he survived the first night," Mom tried to coax me.

"Two weeks ago. We haven't got any news," I said sadly, not looking up at her. We were at the kitchen table, slices of cake in front of us. It was my 16th birthday.

Mom didn't try to comfort me, or correct me. She knew I was right, and she couldn't help me. She saw me slipping further into a horrible depression. I think she was catching on to Oli and I's secret.

There was a knock on the door. Mom wordlessly left the room to answer it. I heard her gasp. Jumping up, I grabbed a knife off the counter and ran into the living room. Shock filled my body, and I dropped the knife. There, in the doorway, was the man I missed most.

Oli was standing in his uniform, a bouquet of red roses in his hand. He was smiling bright, staring at me.

"Hello Tommy. Miss me?" I ran into his arms, squeezing him in a tight hug. I didn't stop the tears as they soaked his shirt.

"Hey, hey, hey. I didn't come here for you to cry the whole time," He chuckled. Rage filled my mind and veins. I started punching his chest as hard as I could.

"YOU COME BACK AND YOU SAY 'MISS ME'?! TWO WEEKS OLIVER! I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR MONTHS FOR YOU TO COME BACK! WE DIDN'T GET ANY NOTE! NO MESSENGER! NOTHING FROM WEINHOFEN!" I screamed at him. He grabbed my fists softly. I glared up at him, breathing hard.

All thoughts left my head and all anger left me as he leaned down, kissing me softly. I relaxed, kissing him back. He pulled away after a few moments.

"Well, this is a surprise," Mom breathed out. Oli grinned at me, handing me the roses.

"Happy birthday, my love."