Status: Recently born, subscribe so I know if I should continue

You Bring Me Back to the Ocean

Une

Image


Astoria POV:

Astoria never liked being under the sun. She hated the skin she gets afterward, the peeling, the itch, the burn and not to mention the uneven tone of skin color. She raised her shades to her head, squinting at the brightness of the beach, the unending noise, and the crash of the waves. It soothed her, it all sounded like a lullaby. She took off her blazer, revealing the bikini she decided to wear. A camouflage patterned bikini top and a matching dark green bottom.
She reached for her bag, pulling out a book titled "This Is What Happy Looks Like", she was almost done with it, so she carried along a spare book, from the same author, titled "The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight". Most of her friends told her that it was worth the read, so she made sure she took their word for it and bought the two books a week ago the moment she got her paycheck.
Astoria worked as a lifeguard that summer. Living near the beachfront has its advantages. People know everyone, people help everyone and basically Astoria could just get any job in that small island as long as she asked for it kindly.
As she was about to flip her book open to where her bookmark was placed, she heard a shriek. She immediately pinpointed where it came from. It was a plump woman, maybe in her mid 30s, pointing towards a body waving frantically, struggling to keep afloat. Astoria didn't waste any second and immediately grabbed her floater as she then ran swiftly to the drowning boy. He was more than about a hundred meters away from shore, so it was a challenge whether she could arrive there on time or not.
She saw a speedboat coming near them. She could see that they are trying to save the boy, but Astoria knew too well. Considering that a speedboat is technically out of control, they could hit the boy, injuring him thus making the situation worse. She blew her whistle and signaled them to stay back.
Three more paddles and she finally had the strapped with a floater. He was unconscious when she grabbed him, but she could see he was breathing, faintly. She hurried back to shore. A swarm of people waited for them, some even had towels and bottles of water ready for their arrival. As they finally stepped foot to the sand, she made sure the boy leaned to his side, just to make sure his breathing is stabilized.
"Oh my god, is he breathing?" one woman cries out from behind them.
Astoria checks his chest, whether they rise or fall. She noticed that it didn't. She panicked. "Does anyone know how to do first aid CPR?" she asked, a little bit too anxious. No one in the crowd answered.
"Don't you know how?" a tall guy with obvious sunburns asked.
"I slightly know how," Astoria answered unconfident about herself. She wasn't sure what to do, or what to do first, but she shrugged the idea, and acted on urgency, making the boy lay on his back. She placed both her hands on the left chest of the boy, ready to pump, when finally he came to his senses and coughed hard.
She exhaled deeply, finally glad that it was over. She picked her body up, guided the people to give the boy space until his breathing finally normalizes.
"Calum!" someone called out from outside the commotion. Astoria looked back and saw a blond boy, lanky, but not so much, bulky but also not so much. She eyed him carefully, his face looks a tad bit familiar. Two other boys followed behind him, one with red hair and the other with curly brown-blonde combination, they both looked familiar to her as well.
Then that's when it hit her, oh my god, they're those dudes from that band.