‹ Prequel: Traitors
Sequel: Defector
Status: Rewritten and Complete

Renegade

Betrayal

I stare blankly at Logan unsure if he's being serious or not. He leans down and picks up my bra.

"Don't just stare at me," he throws it at me, "get dressed!" He waves his hands motioning me to get myself ready. He itches the back of his head dragging himself out of the room and down the hall to keep my mom busy.

I clasp my bra on and throw myself out of bed to find the rest of my clothes. The only clothing on the floor are my jeans and thong from yesterday and Logan's boxers. I force open the dresser drawers and grab the first things I see which are a teal camisole and a pair of shorts.

I hesitate before leaving the bedroom nervous to see my mom. I know I shouldn't be, but I haven't seen her since I moved out. She wasn't entirely thrilled to know I was leaving the comfort and safety of our home to live underground like a homeless person. When Logan offered to let me stay with him, I let her know where to reach me in case there was an emergency, but I never thought she would actually show up here.

I tiptoe out to the living room where Mom is looking at the books and pictures on the bookshelf in the corner. The pictures mostly feature Logan and I, plus Quela and Hunter in a few. I have one with just me and Lia doing the typical cheek to cheek pose as best friends would. I take notice Logan is outside with Kyra trying to keep her calm since she's not too keen about a stranger being in the house. I clear my throat drawing Mom's attention from the pictures.

"You guys are quite cute together." She says quietly. "But he should probably wear a shirt when he answers the door." I offer an awkward smile. She points to the couch. "May I?" I nod quickly following after her. We sit in silence for a few seconds before she breaks the ice. "I know I shouldn't be here, but I need to talk with you." Logan walks in leaving Kyra outside.

"Sorry Mrs. Detope." He announces. "She's not good with new people most of the time. Your daughter seemed to be the only exception."

"Fascinating." She sarcastically replies. I shoot her a scowl hoping she gets the message to play nicely.

"What are you doing here, Mom?" I pull her attention back to me.

"Your father came home the other day in a mood. I asked him what was wrong and he claimed that our daughter was dead. He explained everything to me and I was going to call and see how you were dealing with things and to let you know that you will still be my baby girl." She grumbles folding her arms. "But because of last night, I think I changed my mind." I give her a puzzled look. "How could you do that to him? To us?" I feel panic spread through my body.

"What are you talking about? What happened last night?" I even hear it in my voice.

"Don't act stupid, Phoenix. Your father's building was burned down last night."

"What?" Logan and I say in unison. We exchange a quick glance. "Mom," I utter out, "that wasn't me."

"Bullshit." She barks at me.

"Mrs. Detope," Logan begins, "she didn't --"

"I am talking to my daughter," she moves her gaze to him, "not you. I'm sure you can find something to do in the meantime. Perhaps getting dressed might work. Why not start in the kitchen? There seems to be a shirt on the floor and one on the faucet. I'm sure one of those will work for you. Go on, now." He stands still, stunned by her words. She stares at him and begins laughing. "Nolan did always say you were a clueless bastard. I didn't think it was true until now."

"MOM!" I shout at her appalled by her attitude. "You don't get to just waltz in here, unannounced, to accuse me of something I didn't do." I rise from the couch. "And I don't care how you speak to me, but you will NEVER speak to him like that again."

"Phoe --" Logan's voice sounds soft like he wants me to calm down.

"It's fine, hon," I turn to him, "she won't be bothering us anymore." I whip my head back to face her. "You can show yourself out." I walk away from her and into the kitchen.

Logan and Mom stare at each other before she takes a deep breath and gets up from the couch. She storms passed him toward the front door. She whips it open and slams it behind her. I let out a long sigh resting my elbows on the counter to put my head in my hands. Logan joins me in the kitchen and runs his fingers along my back. He leaves a trail of kisses along my bare shoulder plus one on the top of my head.

"I think my shirt is the one on the floor." He jokes causing an involuntary laugh to erupt from my mouth. "Babe," he leans on the counter, "I don't want to ask, but did you burn that building down last night?" I tilt my head to face him.

"No, I was with you all night. I promise." I watch relief wash over him.

"Okay, because this wouldn't have been the first time you set a place on fire without me knowing about it." He tilts his head slightly. "You going to be okay?" I shrug which doesn't seem to make either one of us feel better.

"I should probably go talk with Gabe. I don't want him to think I went rogue or something."

I leave the kitchen to get dressed and ready for the day. Logan offers to go with me to The Tunnel, but I decline and tell him I'll only be a couple minutes. It's almost the afternoon and we'll still have the rest of the day to relax and take some time for ourselves.

Since the The Tunnel has been overflowing with people, Gabe decided to have us officially have weekends off from now on. We used to have to be at The Tunnel every single day, even if it was just for training. He's still an asshole, but he's starting to be more lenient and it's because he is always working on something. I can see it in his eyes when I speak with him. He looks worn down and exhausted and it's at the point where the dark circles under his eyes look like he was punched.

The Tunnel door squeaks open and echoes throughout the hall as it slams shut. It's weird being here without people running around in every direction. I scoot around the corner and witness the deserted plant. I don't think I've ever seen it empty. I head into Logan and Hunter's office thinking Gabe would be in there, but he isn't.

I raise an eyebrow at Hunter's computer monitor. It's turned on which I think is the first time in weeks. No one has touched it since he went missing so why is it on? I let my curiosity get the best of me as I slide into his office chair and type in his password, his sister's name. I only know because Quela told me about his sister and how close the two were before they got separated in a riot a few days before he met the boys.

Everything on his desktop appears normal, but I have a gut feeling something isn't right. I check the stamp for the last time he was logged in and it's dated a few weeks ago, maybe a day or two before he went on the retrieval mission. Almost everything on his computer is Dranca related. Her full name, date of birth, who she is, where she's from, etc. There are a lot of blanks on her profile, though and no photo attached to it.

I scroll through his profiles and notice he has something for everyone.

Phoenix Marie Detope
Age: 21 Sex: F Status: Probation
Nature: Stubborn
Strength: Arson Weakness: Too trusting
Bio: Ten years old when bombed. In car accident at seventeen caused by government agency. Joined rebellion after friend, Pixel Armon, was killed. Suffers from pyromania. Great for partner assignments. *Add in. Requested to be taken off of arson assignments until further notice.*

I exit out of mine and click on Logan's profile.

Logan Michael Fierce
Age: 23 Sex: M Status: Active
Nature: Protective
Strength: Combat Weakness: Phoenix Detope
Bio: Twelve years old when bombed. Reunited with family then turned away by father. Lived in shelter for five years. Worked for Casandra for one year. Tortured by Casandra for twenty-one days straight. Founding member of the rebellion. Combat trainer and leader for rough assignments.

I click out of that and something catches my eye. Hunter has a folder unnamed on the side which is a smaller list of profiles. Lia's profile has a star next to it which has to mean something. I open it up and study the contents.

Azalia Michelle Clemens
Age: 21 Sex: F Status: Traitor/Mole
Nature: Untrustworthy
Strength: Unknown Weakness: Unknown
Bio: Daughter of Terrance Clemens. Nolan Fierce's mole who infiltrated our operation. Now works for Casandra."

I hear footsteps reverberating through the plant causing me to quickly shut off Hunter's computer. I rise from his chair and head for the door, but I run into Gabe. He suspiciously looks down at me. I attempt to brush past him, but he blocks my path.

"You and I need to talk." He pushes me back into the office closing the door behind him. "I asked Drax to burn down the Samuel Glore building. I'm not replacing you, but I felt this was the right choice." He states clearly.

"The right choice for who?" I hiss feeling upset he didn't tell me about it.

"For you." He sits on top of Logan's desk. "I didn't want you to regret something like that or have your parents hating you for it." I roll my eyes. Too late. "I'm sorry I didn't talk to you about it, but you walked out yesterday." I fold my arms across my chest. "Don't pout, Detope. You'll be back on arson assignments soon."

"Will I? Because I'm apparently on probation and off of those assignments until further notice." Gabe's facial expression changes.

"You logged onto Hunter's computer?"

"You have me on probation?"

"What else did you see on there?" He storms closer to me in a quieter tone. "You know, don't you?"

"Know what exactly?" I stare into his eyes hoping to get a read off of him. He grabs a hold of my shirt and pushes me to the wall a bit too hard.

"Don't play games with me, Detope." My heart beats wildly against my chest. "What did you see?"

"Lia is --" I begin, but his hand wraps around my mouth.

"I'm handling it, do you understand me? Don't you fucking dare do anything to lead on that you know. Don't instigate, do you understand me?" I feel a shiver go down my spine. I've never seen Gabe so serious and intimidating as he is right now. "Did you see anything else?" I hesitate and he hits the wall directly next to my ear which startles me. I shake my head which appears to be the answer he's looking for.

He backs off exiting the office. I hang back for a few minutes to pull myself together. Why would he just let Lia go about her business? And how long has he known? What else is he hiding? I pull my phone out and call Logan. I rush out of The Tunnel and across the street when he answers. I pant into the receiver informing him that I think I found out something I shouldn't have. I throw myself into the car and speed out of the parking garage. I tell Logan I'm a little freaked out and that I need him to talk me home which he agrees to do.

I explain that I logged onto Hunter's computer and found all our profiles. Logan mentions he knows about the profiles, but nothing that's on them. I conclude that maybe Hunter was taken because he knows everything about everyone. I worry that if someone outside the rebellion gets a hold of that information, that could be it for all of us. Someone like Lia, but I don't mention her to Logan. I'll wait until I'm back home to discuss that with him.

I glance up into the rear view mirror noticing the same car following me since I left The Tunnel. They've been traveling at the same distance the entire time. I feel a panic attack working its way through my body and I ask if Logan is still there. He answers immediately hearing how freaked out I've become, but attempts to reassure me everything is fine and I'll be home within the next few minutes.

I feel something hit the back part of the car. I look back and catch a glimpse at the driver recognizing her face. I speed up slightly to get away, but she keep up relatively easily. I get hit again, but I steady myself with ease. I attempt to keep myself together which fails when I'm rammed off the road.

My door comes in contact with one of the trees on the side of the road stopping the car. The air in my lungs leaves quickly as my window shatters sending glass inside the car. I gasp for air quickly, but don't get nearly enough as I need. My head spins as my ears begin to ring. I faintly hear Logan's voice coming from the speaker on my phone, but I don't have enough air to formulate words.

I reach my hand over to grab my phone not caring if anything is broken or not. I'm conscious that's all that matters. Logan is screaming at me to answer, but all I can give him is a lousy breath. He yells at me to stay put, but I'm already trying to crawl out of the car. My left side aches which makes me believe I just pulled open one of my stitches. I hang up on him shoving my phone into my back pocket. I push the passenger door open feeling my side scream as I do so. I clutch onto it as I fling myself out of the car and onto the grass.

I climb to my feet finding the world to be whirling around me at rapid speed. I shut my eyes trying to get the spinning to stop. My legs wobble and seem incapable of supporting me as I attempt to walk. I grab onto the trunk of a nearby tree to get a hold of myself. I know I'm standing still, but it feels like I'm moving in circles. My legs gives up on me as the collapse from beneath me. My limp body lies still in the grass as I feel blood slide down my face. A shadow towers over me as I try to look up to see who it is, but even my eyes are against me. They shut themselves forcing the remaining parts of my body to shut down.

"Forgive me." I hear Lia's voice fade out as I lose consciousness.