‹ Prequel: Run Away With My Heart

Hear Your Heart

15: You Didn’t Have To Do It Alone

Stretching his neck, Iker padded into Olivia’s kitchen, a small yawn tumbling out of his mouth. It had been expected, Olivia had insisted that if he wanted to stay, he should take the couch, but part of him regretted agreeing. Thanks to Olivia’s rather uncomfortable couch, his neck stung and he’d barely got five hours sleep before he’d decided he couldn’t take any more. Yawning once more, he stumbled towards the kettle and flicked the switch before he heard Thiago’s cries, a sound which bought a fond smile to his features. It was still a little strange, even despite the weeks that had passed since he had found out about Thiago, but Iker couldn’t help but smile. He loved the little boy and was pleased, especially since his birth had bought Olivia back into his life, that he had been born. Shaking his head a little, he pushed himself away from the counter and padded through the small apartment, quickly locating Thiago’s nursery.

“You’re up early, little one” Iker commented as he padded towards the little boy’s crib, his dark eyes taking in the crying baby. “What can I do for you eh? Do you want breakfast?” he continued, moving to pick up the baby. Thiago wailed for a few seconds before he quietened fractionally, something which made Iker smile. He had been worried, he’d never spent a great deal of time with children and had had no idea about how he would cope, but since he had met Thiago, he could tell that he was doing something right. Thiago appeared to love him and it sometimes made Iker a little sad. He’d missed a lot, even if Thiago was still tiny, and seeing just how much he had bonded with his son reminded him that there was so much he had missed. Shaking his head, he dispelled the negative thoughts and moved to collect a blanket, gently wrapping it around Thiago in order to stave off the chill of the early morning before he padded back into the kitchen.

~#~
Running her fingers through her hair, Olivia padded into the kitchen, her blue eyes widening slightly at the sight that greeted her. She hadn’t heard it, Thiago’s cries, and she was a little surprised to see the infant sat in Iker’s arms, his little hands gripping at the toy that his father held out for him. “I didn’t hear him cry” she commented, making up Iker look up at her.

“He only went for a few seconds. I got him” he returned with a small smile “Besides, we’ve had a great time together. We had some breakfast, changed his nappy, got him dressed and now we are playing” he mused, gently brushing his fingers through the little boy’s hair, earning a small smile.

“You didn’t have to do that” Olivia noted.

“I am his papa, Oli” Iker returned gently “And it is about time you started trusting me with him. I can do this” he noted, his dark eyes peeking up at her. He didn’t want to fight, not so soon after they’d patched things together again, but he wanted to make her aware. He was the father of her son and she needed to start treating him like it.

Olivia sighed. “It’s not about not trusting you, Iker” she mused as she moved to sit down beside him.

“Then what is it about, Oli? Because I have been back around for a little over 2 months now and you won’t leave me alone with him for a second without fretting. Am I doing something to make you think he’s not safe?” Iker posed softly, trying not to startle Thiago who had started to squirm in his lap.

Olivia shook her head. “It’s not that. Iker, for months, it has been me and him and I am just not quite used to the idea of sharing him with you yet. I am learning, but it is apparently a slow process” she mused gently, her blue eyes staring gently at her feet.

Iker sighed. “Oli, you know that you didn’t have to be alone” he murmured, trying not to upset her.

Olivia nodded. “I know” she mumbled “Which reminds me, I have something I want to give to you” she added as she moved to push herself up, quickly padding into the living room. Iker frowned a little and pushed himself to his feet carefully, ensuring that Thiago was alright before he followed her, his dark eyes narrowed on the small box which she held in her hand.

“Oli?” he posed gently.

“I should have found you sooner” she murmured gently “When the day got nearer to him being born, I should have made a move to find you and tell you. You should have been there for moments that you can never replicate, the first beating of his heart, the first kick of his feet, and whilst I know I can never, ever, make up for the fact that you weren’t, I hope that these go someway to making it better” she explained.

Iker frowned and moved to settle Thiago down in his seat before he padded towards her, taking the box out of her hand. Sitting down beside her, he gently pulled the lid open and blinked a little, noting the contents.

“It’s all there. Scan DVDs and photos, the pregnancy test I took when we were in France, the hat they gave him in the hospital and the wristband they put on me. I know it isn’t the same…”

“Gracias, Oli” he murmured, cutting her off “It’s very nice of you” he added, his dark eyes peeking over at her.

“I can never make up for you not being around Iker, I can never undo it, but believe me when I say I am trying to get used to you being here now. Thiago loves you, I can tell it by the way his little face seems to light up around you, and I will work on getting better at trusting you with him” she murmured, chewing on her lip softly.

Iker shook his head. “That’s all I ask, Oli” he murmured.

Olivia nodded before she edged a little closer to him, resting her head lightly on his shoulder as she peeked down at their baby. “He’s perfect isn’t he?” she whispered gently, a small smile on her face. Iker nodded his head and placed a small kiss against her temple, mumbling about how their son took after his mother, a comment that made Olivia blush. She knew there was nothing she could do, she couldn’t undo keeping Iker away from their son throughout her pregnancy and throughout the first 3 months of his life, but she wanted to make some sort of amends, Iker wasn’t the only one who had failed in their relationship and she didn’t think it was fair that he was the only trying to fix things.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Jayme112234 and Luuuc_19 for the comments :)