Fallen

This Is Not A Test

Bob reenters the diner to find Kyle sitting at the counter in front of me as he was digging into a plate of banana pancakes. Kyle was about to address him again, when something else steals Bob's attention.

“Bob what’s wrong-.” He stopped me by holding up a silencing hand.

“Yeah, wait a minute.” I look where his eyes had landed and frown. The TV has gone on the fritz again. Only now the image is mostly snow. Bob climbs back onto the chair and faces the TV. I was getting a bad feeling about something but I couldn’t figure out what. The TV has gone out before plenty of times but not like this. Something was going on somewhere. Charlie and I locked eyes and she shrugged. I had to smile. Because she was the one with the most to stress out about she was also the one to not care about anything as well. “What's wrong with you today?”

WHACK!

The image flickers but doesn't improve.

“I told you to get the satellite TV. But you don't wanna listen.” Percy said with a satisfied and smug expression.

“What the hell do I need that crap for?” Bob asked not even turning back to glance at him.

“History Channel, man!”

“Still hoping that you’re gonna see yourself on there huh Percy?” I asked taking a crack at him. He threw a French fry at me which I caught with one hand and put into my mouth. “Thank you!”

Bob ignored our little exchange but I could see he was getting more and more frustrated. “I got all the history I can take.”

“That's for sure.” Charlie mumbled.

“What's your problem now?” Bob stopped to ask her. She just kept on walking by so he turned back to his own problems.

WHACK!

“Where do I start?” She said coming back into view. I shook my head.

“You know this was the top-of-the-line model when I bought it.” Bob said proudly and I busted out laughing.

“Yeah, in the Fifties.” I chuckled.

“You shouldn't be watchin' anyways.” He rubs his hands together. “Okay, baby, this is gonna do it.” Bob gives the TV one final wallop -- WHACK! And the picture snaps into focus. Only it isn't the picture he was expecting. The message that filled the screen was STARK GRAPHIC OF THE EMERGENCY BROADCASTING SYSTEM and it was accompanied by that annoying hollow tone that filled the diner. Everybody in the place stops and turns to the TV. “See? Clear as day.”

“Nice work, Bob. What the hell's that?” Percy asked reading the ‘This Is Not A Test’ message that kept flashing. I frowned as I continued to stare at the screen. What was going on today? The weird lightning storm, Charlie’s weird dream, the constant feeling that something bad was about to happen. As an Archangel I was always in the loop of knowing when things were about to happen down on Earth. A volcano eruption in Pompeii? Saw it 3 days before it actually happened. After they took my wings though when I was banished, life was always a constant surprise. I never knew exactly what was going to happen but I always got a sense. All my powers were gone and I was basically a human, just one that lived longer. I could still die but not by old age or any human sickness’s.

“It's just one of those test things.” That'd be true, except for the words at the bottom of the screen, which read:

"THIS IS NOT A TEST"

Bob switches the channels. All the same. Charlie spoke up again. “Don't look like a test.”

Bob steps off the chair and backs slowly away from the TV as if a little distance will bring some clarity. He bumps into Kyle.

“Yo, am I the Invisible motherfuckin' Man here? Do you have a phone or not?” Kyle peels a five dollar bill off a serious wad of cash. That gets Bob's attention. Bob snaps the money out of his hand.

“In the back past the kitchen. Make it fast.” Kyle hustles passed Percy. Charlie is standing by the Anderson's table, clearing dishes. Everybody's eyes are locked on the TV.

“If there's a real emergency aren't they supposed to give us some information about what to do?” Sandra asked her husband.

“I'm sure it's a mistake.” Howard said calming and smiling at his wife reassuringly.

“Hey, Percy, give that old radio of yours a shot. Maybe they got some news about the TV.”

Percy grabs an old battery powered radio off a kitchen shelf and switches it on. Nothing but static. He spins the dial until he reaches a clear signal. The same hollow tone of Emergency Broadcasting. Station after station the same thing. The diner is now overwhelmed by a chilling chorus of hollow tones. Everyone goes very still. Last time I heard anything remotely close to this Russia was threating to Nuke the USA before Kennedy stepped in and stopped it.

“Maybe there was an earthquake?” Howard asked trying to come up with some explanation. Everyone was now looking at Howard shocked. “They keep sayin' we're overdue for a big one.”

“Lot a folks could be hurt.” Percy said sadly and I knew if that was true he would want to help out the people in need.

“Not if it was centered in the desert though.” I said.

“Exactly. Could be nothing to worry about.” Or it could be everything to worry about Howard. I didn’t say a word though.
“So then why's the TV out?” Sandra just had to have an answer. I didn’t blame her either. Times like these not knowing what was happening was beyond terrifying.

“Maybe it just hit the relay stations. Aren't those usually in remote areas?”

“Yeah, `cause of the radiation they give off.” Bob said adding his own paranoid conclusions in the mix.

“There ain't no radiation comin' from those things. Plus that don't explain the radio being out too. Some of those stations broadcast over hundreds of miles. Any quake that big and we would a felt it.”

“Percy's right. I didn't feel anything.” I said looking at Bob. We were all at a loss for words and answers.

“Maybe it's a terrorist attack or something...?” Audrey offered her own conclusion and I thought her mother was going to have a heart attack as she covered her mouth.

“Oh god...” Everyone considered that grimly.

“Well, for cryin' out loud. There's no use in speculating. I'll just call my brother up in Needles. He must a heard something.” Bob said as he started to move towards the doorway for the kitchen which led to his office in the back.

“I don't think so.” Kyle said as he reappeared in the diner.

“Whaddya talkin' about?”

“Phone's dead. Just tried to make a call.” He explained.

“You're shittin' me.” Kyle shakes his head and sits down at the counter.

“Oh, this is just great.” Sandra exclaimed throwing her hands up in the air.

“Relax, Mrs. Anderson. Nothing to get excited about. Probably just working on the lines. Besides, I'm sure Jeep'll have your truck fixed up quick as can be, and then you'll be on your way.” I said calmly trying to not have anyone freak out. Mass panic is what we didn’t need at the moment. She looked at me for a moment before nodding. I quickly ran my fingers through my long hair trying to think of something to do or trying to figure out what in the world was going on. As I looked at everyone in the diner I realized they were all scared.

And I had to admit, I was too.
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoyyyy!