‹ Prequel: Radiant Eclipse

Second Heartbeat

Triumph

"Did you know about this?"

Zacky whispered top Johnny, as they watched Ash run around the stage. He just shook his head no, as Drake took to the stage to perform the rap verse in "This Is What Rock And Roll Looks Like."

"You know, this explains that video that Anne put on Instagram the other day. It was like she was trying to tell us who the bassist was."

Brian added. A few days prior, Anne had posted an old video of her and Ash lip syncing to "Steal My Sunshine" by Len, on the road trip they had taken down the California coast with the Walst brothers. As the song came to a close, the girls took a minute to just stop and soak it all in. Ash also took the chance to shed the leather jacket that she was wearing, and the girls tied up their hair.

“So, what the fuck is up Toronto?!”

Corinne yelled into the mic, and got a thunderous response in return.

“Let me tell you, it feels so damn good to be back together as one, playing music, just as it was meant to be. And now, I’m going to stop talking, we’re going to get back to playing. This was one of the first songs, we ever wrote together as a whole, and it’s called ‘Our Relapse Romance’.”

Much to the crowd’s delight, the girls graced them by playing that song, plus two of the more popular singles from the last album, Freak Like Me and Rock Show, before they dropped the bombshell they had been keeping from everyone, their significant others included.

“Sooo … how’s everyone doing tonight?”

Ash spoke into the mic. The girls laughed as everyone in the audience screamed out a response.

“Before we get on with the show, we’re going to take a breather and talk to everyone for a bit. You know, a whole lot has happened since the five of us last shared a stage together as a band. We all got married, had kids …”

“Well, actually you girls got married. I just had kids.”

Ash interrupted Corinne.

“Yeah, yeah. Let’s see what else. We let our demons get the best of us, but then we beat them and came back even stronger.”

Corinne added, referring to Anne’s battle with addiction. On that note, everyone started cheering and showing their support for the drummer, who was almost moved to tears.

“Let’s see, what else have we done. Oh yes, we’ve seen people come and go. Got a new label, new management …”

“We started recording a new album …”

Jess added in, which caused everyone in attendance, the guys in Avenged included, to drop their mouths, then go crazy once the shock wore off.

“If I may …”

Ash interjected, before Corinne could continue.

“If it’s alright, with everyone, we’re going to play you a couple new songs right now. Maybe even bring out some special guests. But before we do, just let me say this. And feel free to put this on twitter, tumblr, facebook, instagram, whatever social network you want, because we need this to get out as soon as possible. If you live in the cities of Toronto, Montreal, and Vancouver, please, do keep an eye out for details on how you can be in the video for this next song, which will be the first single off the new album. And before I forget, if you couldn’t already tell, by our new backdrop, the album is to be called Phoenix. Getting on with the show, this song is going to be the first single off of the new album, and it’s called ‘Where I Came From’.”

Though this was the first time they were hearing the song, the crowd, went wild, and security at the front barrier, had quite the difficult time keeping up with all the crowd surfers. As well, even though it was only five songs in their their set, the girls were already dripping with sweat. As they towelled off, and a few stage hands wheeled a keyboard out onto the stage, and set up a DJ kit in the back, Corinne decided to take another chance to talk to the crowd.

“As Ash told you earlier, we have a new album coming out soon, which we are very, incredibly proud of. And it is being produced, by a very good friend of all of ours, one Mr. Mike Shinoda!”

The crowd’s response was almost deafening as the Linkin Park/Fort Minor founder and emcee walked out onstage and took a seat behind the keyboard. The response continued, as Linkin Park’s DJ, Joe Hahn took his spot, behind his rig, and waved out to everyone.

“This is another song from the new album, and it’s called ‘Final Masquerade’.”

/ Tearing me apart with words you wouldn't say,
And suddenly tomorrow's a moment washed away.
'Cause I don't have a reason, and you don't have the time,
But we both keep on waiting for something we won't find./


The crowd bobbed their heads along to the beat, and lost it yet again, as Chester Bennington joined Corinne onstage, in vocals, for the second verse.

“Damn, they really went all out for this.”

Matt said to the guys, as the song eventually came to a finish, and Chester, Mike and Joe, waved to the crowd before they walked offstage. The girls launched into another new song, called Ghosts, which again, gave the security guards a run for their money, as the crowd got even rowdier. Just as the song came to an end, extra security, and even a few cops, came to help relieve the pressure on them, as no one wanted to stage cooped up in the crowd for long.

“Man, I feel for everyone in the front row tonight, they’re getting absolutely killed. And the security … they’re really getting put to work tonight. Everyone give everyone in the front row and the security a big fucking hand right now.”

Mateja called, out as the band led a raucous round of applause. Once the crowd settled down again, Ash spoke again.

“This is yet another new one, and one that all five of us worked on. It’s about you know, some people that we all hold near and dear to us, and we’re not even going to tell you what it’s called or who it’s about. But I’m pretty damn sure, that once we start singing, it’ll be pretty obvious who the subjects are. Please enjoy.”

The girls all shared a laugh with each other, before they launched into what was called, “American Boys”.

/ Yeah, yeah
I can't help but fall
Yeah, yeah
God bless 'em all

American boys
Gotta love 'em, gotta need 'em
Gotta want 'em
They're my drug of choice
Yeah, yeah, yeah
American boys
Wanna slay 'em, wanna lay 'em
Wanna play 'em
They're my favourite toys
American, American boys/


“I’m pretty sure this song is about us.”

Brian mused to his band mates, as Corinne turned and winked at Matt.

“I would hope so.”

Jimmy snorted, as he downed his beer, and looked around for another one. As that song came to an end, all the girls turned and blew kisses to their respective men, who beamed at them from their spot on the sidestage.

“Alright, now, it’s not that we haven’t enjoyed debuting these new songs for you, because we have, but we’re going to get back to some oldies if you all don’t mind. This is from our last album, and it’s called Love Bites.”

The crowd sang back all of the words, so loudly, that the girls could barely hear themselves. The crowd got even louder, as the girls started to play “Woke Up Screaming”, which Ash had written about the only other two men she had really loved, her ex Reilly, and Bradley Walst.

“Alright, alright, alright …”

Corinne spoke into the mic, channelling her inner Matthew McConaughey.

“Man, it’s been great being back, and seeing you all sing back every single lyric to us, but we’re going to need every to simmer down for a bit, as we are going to slow things down for a few. This is from our last album, and it’s called ‘By Now’.”

As the song progressed, the security down in front, were greatly appreciative for the break in crowd surfers, and relished in the temporary peace. Once the song came to an end, the girls towelled off, and took a brief breather.

“Now, this next song, it isn’t new, but to my knowledge, I don’t think it’s ever been performed live. Have we ever played this song, girls?”

They all took a glance at their setlists, and all shook their heads no, as Mike Shinoda and the keyboard reappeared on the stage.

“This song is from our last album, and it’s called ‘World in Flames’.”

World In Flames, was a song that they had all worked on, and was in remembrance of people each girl had lost from their lives. Corinne sang the last notes, and they all acknowledged the crowd’s response, as the keyboard was wheeled onstage and Corinne and Ash’s mic stands were readjusted. While Corinne’s mic was put on Ash’s mic stand, and Ash’s mic on Corinne’s stand, Corinne was handed the bass that Matt had gifted her with when they got married.

“While I’m pretty sure no one will mind, I’m going to take over things for a bit.”

Ash spoke into her mic, as she took it off of the stand.

“You know, when I first left the band, I also left music for a bit. I put my bass down, I put my lyrics down, and didn’t touch anything music related, for quite a long time. For awhile, I just concentrated my everything on being a tattoo artist, a bartender, and a mother. Until one day, as I was going through some trying times in my personal life, I was inspired to go back to my first love. One night, while I stayed up with my daughter, as she teethed, I picked up my lyric books and my acoustic, and started writing. And I didn’t stop until I had fleshed out two brand new songs. This next song, is one of them, and on the album, will feature Apocalyptica, who unfortunately could not be here today. This is another new song, and it is called ‘Not Strong Enough’.”

As Ash belted out the lyrics, it became completely obvious that the song was about her and Johnny.

“So, what say you about all of this, gnome?”

Jimmy asked Johnny, who couldn’t take his eyes off of his girlfriend.

“I think it’s amazing.”

Johnny joined everyone in clapping, cheering and whistling as Ash sang the last notes, and took a small bow.

“As I am sure you want your proper lead singer back, I’m going to remain up here for the time being.”

Ash informed the crowd, as she took a sip of a mug of tea and honey, which had been put out for her.

“So this next song that we’re about to play, is the other song that I wrote that night. And is a song, that I believe will bring us back to our roots so to speak. It’ll, of course, be on the new album, and it’s called ‘Through Waiting’.”

While Ash bounded about the stage, it was again pretty obvious, that this song too, was about Johnny.

“I feel like something we’re not expecting is about to happen.”

Matt said to his bandmates, as Corinne sang a few bars.

/Tonight is the last night I'll wait for you
I'll wait for you
Tonight is the last night I'll wait for you
I'll wait for you

I'm falling back to you
After all that we've been... been through!/


And Matt couldn’t have been more right. Just as Corinne sung “after all that we’ve” she trailed off, and Ash screamed “been … been through!” Everyone’s jaw dropped in surprise, as no one had expected Ash to ever scream again, after the surgery she had to have on her vocal chords. She screamed the last few words, “I can't let go!” and took a bow to finish off the song. After a swig of her tea, which had been sweetened with honey, Ash spoke into the mic once more.

“I promise, I’m only going to remain up here for one more song, after which you’ll have your lead singer back. However, for this song, we are going to switch things up just a wee bit.”

As soon as she said that, Mateja put her guitar down, and walked back and behind Anne’s drum kit. She helped Anne up and took her seat, while Anne grabbed her mic, and joined Ash up front.

“This lady is going to join me for this one song.”

The crowd was pleasantly surprised, and chanted their love and support.

“You’re doing alright there, Anne?”

“Hell yeah! And, how are you doing?”

“I’m great. This is another song, written by the two of us, your resident terror twins. It means a lot to the both of us, and it’s called ‘Friends and Alibis’.”

On Anne’s count, the girls started to play the song, which she and Ash had written about everyone standing by each other, through Ash leaving the band and Anne going into rehab.

/So hold your head
Hold it up high
Here's to the friends that were alibis
Keep this close by your side/


It was at this point, that Ash and Anne had their arms around each others shoulders and sang the next line together.

/When I come home we will have our night

Oh, they always told me I was gorgeous in a way
And that fateful day
I found who I was
So fill this hole with my prescriptions
I just keep feeding my addictions/


As Anne sang her verse, Brian smiled in pride, for his wife for admitting her problems and overcoming them.

/You were the ones that stood by my side, whoa
And I was the one that fought all of your fights/


Anne sang the first line, and Ash the next; Anne about the girls sticking by her through her rehab, and Ash about always going to bat for the girls.

/(Hold your head, hold it up high) Whoa
(Keep this close by your side) Whoa

So hold your head
Hold it high
Here's to the friends that were alibis
Keep this close by your side
When I come home we will have our night/


Just as they both sang the last line, the song picked up again, and both girls went running and stage dived into the crowd, while continuing to sing. Both Berry brothers, and Dan the Body, helped security to get both girls back onstage, much to the relief of their significant others.

/Hold your head
Hold it up high
Here's to the friends that were alibis
Keep this close by your side
When I come home we will have our night
We will have our night/


Anne and Ash sang those last two lines together, as the song came to an end, and the girls stopped to catch their breath. Overcome with the emotion of being back onstage, and everyone standing by her despite her and her demons, Anne started to break down into tears. Her bandmates saw that, and one by one, they gathered into one big group hug, in the middle of the stage. Once she calmed down, the girls started to walk towards their better halves and off of the stage.

“That’s not it, is it?”

Zack asked, as he handed Jess another bottle of water.

“No. We have two more songs left. One cover, one new.”

Corinne answered, as Matt helped to towel her off. Once they were sufficiently hydrated and towelled off, the girls accepted their instruments again, and strolled back onstage, to the delight of the crowd, which had been chanting for an encore. They smiled and took a breath, and sips from their drinks which had changed from water to glasses of wine. Without saying a word, they played the opening riff to “Paradise City”, which was the cover they were most known for. The crowd was again making the security really work for their money, even moreso, as two thirds of the way through the song; Matt joined the band onstage on vocals. He took a small bow once the song ended, and pecked Corinne’s lips, before he rejoined his own band mates on the sidestage.

“Alright, now, unfortunately, this song is going to be our last of the night. It is a new song, and is little slower paced then you guys are used to from us, but it’s one we are all very proud of. However before we play it, there is something I must say.”

Corinne said, as she paused to let the crowd do their thing, and for the noise to really die down.

“As you all know, all five of us have been through a lot in life, publicly, and personally in love. Of course, that really applies to some of us, more than others.”

Corinne pointed at Ash, who rolled her eyes and laughed.

“But seriously, we wouldn’t be where we are today, if it wasn’t for the love of everyone in our lives, from our families, our better halves, our labels, our fans … so if that person, that you really love is here with you tonight, we want you to love the fuck out of them. If they’re at home, we want you to love the fuck out of them when you get home. If they are elsewhere, we want you to love the fuck out of them in any way you can. This song is all about love, and we want to dedicate it to everyone here. It’s the last song of the night, and it’s called ‘Here’s To Us’.”

/We could just go home right now
Or maybe we could stick around
For just one more drink, oh yeah
Get another bottle out
Lets shoot the shit
Sit back down
For just one more drink, oh yeah/


Corinne started the song with her mic on the stand, but abandoned the stand as soon as the hook kicked in. As soon as the hook kicked in, all the girls, except for Anne, moved about the stage.

/Here's to us
Here's to love
All the times
That we fucked up
Here's to you
Fill the glass
Cause the last few days
Have kicked my ass
So lets give em hell
Wish everybody well
Here's to us
Here's to us

Stuck it out this far together
Put our dreams through the shredder
Let’s toast cause things got better/


As that line came up, Ash went behind Anne's drumkit and sang it with her.

/and everything could change like that
And all these years go by so fast
But nothing lasts forever/


Ash then got up, and made her way back to the front of the stage.

/Here's to us
Here's to love
All the times
That we messed up
Here's to you
Fill the glass
Cause the last few nights
Have kicked my ass
If they give you hell
Tell em to go fuck themselves/


Just as Corinne sang those last two words, she and Ash, who had come to stand next to her, threw up their middle fingers.

/Here's to us
Here's to us

Here's to all that we kissed
And to all that we missed
To the biggest mistakes
That we just wouldn’t trade
To us breaking up
Without us breaking down
To whatever's come our way

Here's to us
Here's to love
All the times
That we fucked up
Here's to you
Fill the glass
Cause the last few days
Have kicked my ass
So let's give em hell
Wish everybody well/

In gearing up for the end of the song, all the girls got behind a mic stand, and Corinne brought hers back out. And in a move not seen by anyone before, and that the girls had not attempted, they all sang live together.

/Here's to us
Here's to love
All the times
That we messed up
Here's to you
Fill the glass
Cause the last few nights
Have kicked my ass
If they give you hell
Tell em to go fuck themselves/


The girls, along with the everyone in attendance, threw up their middle fingers.

/(Go fuck themselves)
Here's to us
Here's to us
Here's to us
Here's to us

Here’s to us
Here’s to love
Here’s to us (Wish everybody well)
Here’s to us
Here’s to love
Here’s to us

Here’s to us/


Corinne sang the last line on her own, as the song and their show finally came to an end. Each girl put down their instruments, and waited for Anne to join them, before they linked hands and took a group bow to thunderous applause and admiration from the crowd and everyone that stood side stage. The girls took a few moments to let the moment and the feeling sink in, before they spent the next few minutes throwing out picks, set lists, drumsticks and whatever else they could. Once everything had been exhausted, they grabbed their drinks and blew kisses to the crowd before they finally walked offstage. Smiles graced the face of each member of Radiant Eclipse, as they turned to see their better halves and children waiting for them. Ash was the first offstage, taking her son from Johnny, and letting Johnny carry his daughter on his back. One by one, each girl left the stage, with Corinne, Matt and their daughter Lily, bringing up the rear.

The girls had the most successful of comebacks, and they wouldn't have had it any other way.
♠ ♠ ♠
Drake owns himself; Linkin Park own themselves, as do Avenged Sevenfold and crew. PB & Wheezy own "This Is What Rock And Roll Looks Like". A band called Lannen Fall, while no longer around, own "Our Relapse Romance" and "Woke Up Screaming". WCAR owns "Ghosts", and Linkin Park owns "Final Masquerade". GnR owns "Paradise City", In This Moment owns "World In Flames", and Marianas Trench owns "By Now". Apocalyptica owns "Not Strong Enough", Greeley Estates owns "Through Waiting", ETF owns "Friends And Alibis", and ADTR owns "City of Ocala" which was renamed to "Where I Came From" for this story's purpose. Also, Halestorm owns "Freak Like Me", "Rock Show", "Love Bites", "American Boys", and "Here's To Us".

Comments. Plz. =D