Voyager

IX. 31 October 3074

It's Halloween and the ship is buzzing about the party. I step outside of my room to see enough people wearing some of the most extravagant costumes I've ever seen. Even Willow was sporting one by the time I woke up.

"I'm going for an Egyptian queen vibe," she explained, adjusting her crown.

I still have no idea what I'm going to wear and the party is starting in 20 minutes. Back home, it was fun to go to all the stores and put your own costume together, like in the old days, but new technology made it so easy that after awhile, I got bored of it. But everyone on this ship is so excited about the party that I might as well, right?

Willow goes downstairs to join everyone else after playing around with different versions of her costume and finally settling on one. My stomach has been doing cartwheels all day; I almost threw up at lunch, so I decide to stay take my time. Last night's treatment was a little harsh, it seems. Regardless, it gives me time to find my costume. I turn my phone on and say, out loud, "Halloween costumes."

It brings up a selection on the screen and I browse through for what feels like forty minutes until I find one that I think is fitting for the situation that we're in. I tap on it and set my phone down and stand in front of it. It scans me and when I look down a moment later, my clothes and my hair have changed.

"Perfect," I say.

I leave my room and walk around outside. The atmosphere in here is definitely different, it's more lively. It's contagious and I start to feel the same, enthusiastically saying, "Hey! Awesome costume!" to everyone that walks by me.

"Well, well, well..."

I look up and down, unamused. "You could have picked any one of those movies, and you pick the same one as me. I think you're copying me, Callahan–er, Kylo."

Callahan snorts and says, "Whatever, Rey."

He lowered his hood and I fingered the buns in my hair.

"But really though, wicked costume," Callahan says, approvingly.

"I thought it was fitting since we're, you know, in space and going to new a planet and all," I shrug.

"Have you noticed that most people are dressed up from the 20th or the 21st century?" Callahan asks, looking around.

"It was a good era," I reply.

"Hey guys!" Flora practically tackles me from behind and I turn to see her wearing an alien costume. It was big and green and Callahan and I laughed.

"I think this is perfect since we're literally about the be aliens on a new planet," she says, shrugging. "But I love the Star Wars theme here. Did you coordinate?"

"Nope, but he definitely stole my idea," I say. Callahan scowls at me and I say, "C'mon, let's join the party."

The three of us make our way downstairs, passing by a lot of our shipmates and complimenting them on their costumes and vice versa. We meet up with Willow and George but a split second later, Callahan and Flora go off to get some drinks. I feel myself watching them interact. Flora says something and Callahan laughs. His eyes scrunch up like it was something really funny, which isn't surprising because Flora can be really funny sometimes.

I decide I want to get really drunk tonight. I want to have the most fun I've had since college parties from so long ago. Half the people here are already there, so why not join them? I go to get myself a drink that has fog billowing out of it from dry ice and drink it.

"Oh yeah, now the party is starting!" Callahan exclaims, clinking his drink with mine.

"Lizzie!" Flora says, sharply. "Should you be drinking that?" She looks around to make sure no one heard what she said.

I nod my head even though I actually have no idea. "Yeah, I'm fine!"

I start to mingle some more, seeing my friend Lily across the room. Her hall-mates are all surrounding her and I introduce myself and talk to one of them some more. I already forget who he is five minutes later when I start to talk to some more people. I even see John, the firefighter I met the first day, and go to talk to him.

The buzz I'm feeling is telling me the alcohol is working and John and I start dancing. He chuckles and I turn around, dancing to the beat of the music. His hand creeps around my waist and but he's respectful and keeps some space between our bodies. My eyes scan the room and I see Callahan and Flora together. Flora's watching me but Callahan leans close and whispers something in her ear, which causes her to laugh.

"Woo!" I shout, turning back around. I see someone walk by with a plate of champagne and immediately grab one, even though I'm not done with my original drink. It must be me, but it feels like it's refilling itself.

I don't think I've ever had this much fun before. Even in college, those parties always had ulterior motives, like going to just to see a cute boy that wasn't worth my time anyway, or going to support a group. I feel free right now. I'm dying and I can finally feel free.

"Lizzie," someone grabs my hand.

"Hey!" I exclaim, but I look up and see Wylie. He looks mad. "Oh, hi, Wylie!"

"What're you doing?" he asks, muttering. John's not paying attention as he dances to the music. Other people join us and he focuses his attention there.

"What? I'm having fun!" I grin at him, trying to make him dance too but he's very stiff.

"Come on," he says, pulling me.

"Wylie!" I whine but he doesn't stop.

I didn't notice Olivier join us until he says, "Lizzie, what were you thinking?"

"I have no idea what you guys are talking about, but I was having fun out there," I huff. Wylie's grip is still tight on me as he drags me in a direction. I'm not paying attention to where we're going because I'm getting annoyed now that I can't enjoy the party.

We reach the double doors of the Medical Center that opens automatically and Wylie drops me in a chair. He looks pissed and so does Oli.

"What crawled up your guys' butts?" I roll my eyes.

"Lizzie, you know alcohol and your treatment don't mix well together. In fact, it can be toxic," Oli says, angrily. "Now, you're going to stay here the whole night on this IV and detox and we're going to hope this didn't effect your treatment in any way."

"So, I'm dying and yet I can't have fun?" I say. "What a sad existence, don't you think?"

Neither Oli nor Wylie say anything, as they bring out the equipment and hook me up to it. Oli draws my blood too and walks away to get it tested. I suddenly feel my eyes getting droopy; alcohol makes me tired often and this was hitting me like a storm.

"Sorry, Lizzie," I hear Wylie say before I fall asleep.
I wake up with a start and look around, confused.

"Hey," Oli says, next to me.

"What time is it?"

"8 in the morning."

The events of last night come rushing back to me and I groan, mostly because I was still annoyed by Wylie and Oli taking me away from the party, but also because I still probably shouldn't have gotten as drunk as I did. I did know I shouldn't mix alcohol with the medicine I was taking, but I still did it anyway. Maybe I have a death wish.

"So, your toxicology report came back clean, the alcohol hasn't harmed your body in anyway, so that's good," Oli explains. "And I'm sorry for getting so mad at you yesterday."

I shake my head. "It's okay, I don't know why I got so drunk last night."

"Well, I was thinking," he says. "Maybe you can join group therapy here. There's quite a few people who're in the same position as you–seeing the universe before they die–and I really think it would benefit you."

I furrow my eyebrows. "I don't think I really need that, Oli."

"I highly recommend it, Lizzie. I know you don't think it's that big of a deal but this could be the start of you losing all control just because you think your life will end soon."

"It will," I snap. "I had a year to live when I was diagnosed, Olivier–"

"I know that," he reassures. "I'm just saying, this would be a good outlet to vent all you need to, instead of turning to negative means. I recommend this to any and all my patients, Lizzie."

I look down the IV attacked to my hand and say, "Can I go?"

Oli nods his head. "Yeah, let me take this out..."

He detaches it and I stand up, smoothing out my outfit. I realize walking back to my room in last night's clothes is going to make it look like I had sex or something. But at this moment, I don't care. I just want to get away from this place.

"Just think about what I said, okay?" Oli says, just as I reach the double doors.

I nod my head.

"Sure, Oli."
♠ ♠ ♠
hello it's been awhile~