The Inquisition

Farewell innocence

A partially burnt and bloodstained letter that is kept in Chambers' vest pocket close to his heart. It is badly wrinkled, faded, and yellowed.

"I have to see you, before they take me away. I am going to go to a place where a person must close their heart to the world and the ones around them. I do not want to do this, but my father is adamant in this decision. I don't want to be taken away from you and my family, to live in the tombs and chambers. I don't want to do this sort of thing for a living, but father says it's a family occupation, that it is my calling. I am so afraid of what is down there, lurking in the dark. I hear of people going there, and never coming back alive. I hear that people go insane, and are expelled from the place and left to die in the woods!

We've known each other for so many years now, 11 years to be exact. Within 24 hours, i will be taken away from here, away from you, and sent to live a life that is not of my choosing. I had always wondered why father made me study human anatomy, psychology, neurology, and do an endless amount of disections on goats, frogs, and cadavers in my uncles' morgue. Could this have all been preperation for what is to come? I shudder at the thought of having to implement these tools and talents that I have collected over the years. Tabitha, I'm so scared! I'm only 16 years old, I hve begun to live my life! Ever since father took me out of schooling to be home schooled under his and Master Desmond's tutilage, I have felt something obscure and immoral in the air. I've always wanted to tell you something, something I've felt since the first moment I met you when we were only children. I wanted to let you-"

The remainder of the letter is illegible