The Sinner and the Traitor

The Sorting Hat

I could barely contain my excitement as I waited outside the Great Hall. There were so many new people that I was just dying to meet and make friends with. I had to share a compartment with Malfoy and his new goons on the way here and I was ready to kill them all within five minutes of us leaving the train station. Malfoy kept making jabs at me about how ‘unattractive’ I was compared to the other new year girls, or even the older ones. I had felt myself turn red at the insult because Malfoy was basically insinuating I wouldn’t be liked by anyone because of how I looked. With my wavy dark almost black hair and green eyes I would sound striking but I was short, shorter than most my age and extremely underweight. I just couldn’t seem to gain anything to fill out. Not to mention my pale skin from being kept indoors for years so that no vengeful witches or wizards would try anything because of what my parents did. I looked down to the floor in humiliation.

His goons started laughing, or at least I think it was laughing. They were so overly large that their laughs sounded like snorts. Malfoy sneered at me and I was about to reply back with a few not so nice words when the door was thrown open and an ugly girl that looked that pug stood before us. I raised an eyebrow at Malfoy waiting for him to take his comment back about me being ugly but he could only smile at the girl who was leaning against the doorframe like she was trying to be seductive.

“Just thought I would drop by and see what was going on in here.” She winked at Malfoy who turned smug from the small and desperate form of flirting.

Me? I thought I would puke in disgust.

“Well hello there. The names Draco. Draco Malfoy. And what might your pretty name be?” He asked coating it on a little too thickly.

“The name’s Pansy.” She offered out her hand for Malfoy to take and I couldn’t contain my laughter which I tried to hide in the form of a cough. Malfoy glared at me as the girl rounded in my direction. I sat up straighter and stared her straight in the eyes. “And what might YOUR name be?”

The way she looked me up and down actually made me feel good about myself. It was disgust in her eyes, it was jealousy. I smirked her way and tilted my head like I was looking at a child and trying to explain something as simple as zipping up a jacket.

“Vanessa. Vanessa Beyer. Charmed to meet you…Pansy.” I smiled a little more as the color drained from her face. Honestly on the inside though I felt a little disappointed that she knew who I was. She recognized my last name and she was scared of me.

“Well, um, I need to go change. Nice to meet you Draco.” She smiled at him and quickly left. I chuckled.

Malfoy glared at me. “Now look what you’ve done. You’ve gone and scared off the girl that was madly in love with me.”

I could only roll my eyes. “Oh give me a break you bloody idiot. I saved you from a future stalker. You’re welcome by the way.”

“I don’t need your help Beyer.” He glared at me and I felt a little stung at the dismissal in his eyes. I may not like him but he was the only person I knew on this whole train. I glared right back at him and got up to leave. Malfoy must have said something because before the door completely closed I heard all three laughing inside.

I blinked as a boy accidently walked into me as he slightly stumbled walking up the steps. I chuckled and helped him before he fell. “Woah there! You nervous?”

He looked at me and shyly smiled. “Only a little. You?”

“Eh kinda. I mean all of my family has come here so it was to be expected.” I smiled and he nodded.

“I think all of my family has been here but I’m not sure. I wasn’t raised in this world.” He kind of trailed off and I smiled sadly at him.

“Adopted?”

“Something like that.” He smiled once more. I noticed the red head next to him and smiled at him giving a small wave. He turned redder than his hair and I bit back a laugh. I was about to talk to them but was stopped by a voice. I looked up to see a stern older woman before us who had almost catlike features.

“Welcome to Hogwarts. Now, in a few moments, you will pass through these doors and join your classmates. But before you can take your seats you must be sorted into your houses. They are Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, and Slytherin. Now, while you are here, your house will be like your family. Your triumphs will earn you house points. Any rule breaking, and you will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points is awarded the house cup.”

“Trevor!” A scared looking boy who spotted his toad jumps forward. The poor kid had nothing going for him and I could tell he was always having bad luck just by looking at him. He muttered a quick sorry before backing up into the group once more with his odd choice of pet.

“The sorting ceremony will begin momentarily.” She turned and left us there. I turned to the boy with the toad and smiled sweetly at him.

“Hello.”

The boy turned red and I was beginning to think every male here had a blushing problem. He stammered out a hello and I held out my hand telling him my first name and only my first name.

“Neville Longbottom.”

“It’s very nice to meet you Neville.” He grinned and nodded at me

Just then a voice spoke up and I cringed. I had almost forgotten he was even here. Kind of wished he wasn’t. “It's true then, what they're saying on the train. Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts.” The students begin to whisper looking amongst themselves. Malfoy stepped forward and stopped in front of the boy I had been talking to only moments ago. The one who I saved from tripping up the stairs. I looked at him shocked knowing exactly who he was and the whole story. “This is Crabbe, and Goyle and I'm Malfoy...Draco Malfoy.” The red haired boy next to Harry snickers at his name much like I had at Pansy’s name. “Think my name's funny, do you? No need to ask yours. Red hair, and a hand me down robe? You must be a Weasley.” He sneered at the boy who shut up and glared at him. Way to be a jerk Malfoy. He turned back to Harry only glancing at me briefly as I stood next to him. “We’ll soon find that some wizarding families are better than others, Potter. Dont want to go making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there. Right Vanessa?” He looked at me snugly like I should join him as he extends his hand to Harry. I said nothing but my body language said it all. I didn’t agree with him at all.

“I think I can tell who the wrong sort are for myself, thanks.” Harry said and I smiled triumphantly at Malfoy. Good call Harry. Draco glares at him before turning to me.

“Shut it Draco. I really don’t feel like listening to your nasally voice at the moment.” Before he could retort with anything that Professor returned and smacks him on the shoulder with a paper. He retreated with one last glare. I noticed she wouldn’t meet my eyes. I sighed.

She knew who I was as well.

“We're ready for you now.” She led everyone through two large doors and into the Great Hall, where there are four long tables with many kids, as well as floating candles. The roof appeared to be the sky. I muttered a small ‘wow’ and the girl next to me must have heard me because she turned to me.

“It's not real, the ceiling. It's just bewitched to look like the night sky. I read about it in Hogwarts: A History.” I turned to her mildly interested.

Just then the Professor stopped and turned back to us. “All right, will you wait along here, please? Now, before we begin, Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words.”

My head perked up to better see one of the greatest wizards of all time. Being raised in a Death Eater’s household all you ever heard about was how much he was in the way and a nuisance but from what I read he was simply amazing. Dumbledore rises from the main table. “I have a few start of term notices I wish to announce. The first years please note that the dark forest is strictly forbidden to all students. Also, our caretaker, Mr. Filch-.” He signals to a ragged old man with a cat with red eyes. “-has asked me to remind you that the third floor corridor on the right hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death. Thank you.”

The girl and I looked at each other in shock. What the bloody hell did they have in this Castle that would kill us?

“When I call your name, you will come forth, I shall place the sorting hat on your head, and you will be sorted into your houses.” It was then I noticed a stool with a worn old hat on it. Everyone turned to the hat and the next thing I knew it was talking. Like actually talking!

“Oh you may not think I'm pretty, But don't judge on what you see, I'll eat myself if you can find A smarter hat than me. You can keep your bowlers black, Your top hats sleek and tall, For I'm the Hogwarts Sorting Hat And I can cap them all. There's nothing hidden in your head The Sorting Hat can't see, So try me on and I will tell you Where you ought to be. You might belong in Gryffindor, Where dwell the brave at heart, Their daring, nerve, and chivalry Set Gryffindors apart. You might belong in Hufflepuff, Where they are just and loyal, Those patient Hufflepuffs are true And unafraid of toil; Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw, if you've a ready mind, Where those of wit and learning, Will always find their kind; Or perhaps in Slytherin You'll make your real friends, Those cunning folks use any means To achieve their ends. So put me on! Don't be afraid! And don't get in a flap! You're in safe hands, though I have none, For I'm a Thinking Cap!”

Everyone broke out into applause when the hat finished but all I could do was stare. The hat freaking talked. Then the Professor rolled out a piece of parchment and started reading off names. “Hermione Granger.”

“Oh, no. Okay, relax.” She goes up past me and I whisper a small encouragement. She smiled at me, grateful.

“Mental that one, I'm telling you.”

“Be nice.” I said looking at him sharply. Harry nods in agreement, whether to me or his friend I wasn’t sure.

The Hat thought for a moment before yelling out, “Gryffindor!!”

Hermione jumps off with a smile as the Gryffindor table erupted in cheers.

“Draco Malfoy.” I rolled my eyes. Already knew where he was going. Draco saunters up proudly. The tattered hat nearly freaks before touching down on Draco’s head.

“SLYTHERIN!” Shocker…

“There isn't a witch or wizard who went bad who wasn’t in Slytherin.” The red head said to hair and I felt myself start to sweat. I all of a sudden felt like I was going to faint. What if I turned out just like my parents? I would rather face a dragon with just my bare hands than face that sad truth. I felt like I was being stared at and I looked up. Dumbledore was staring at me intently and I wanted to look away but I couldn’t. He had that kind of gaze. And then he smiled at me and I shyly smiled back still nervous. It was like he knew what I was thinking.

“Susan Bones.” Why weren’t these names in order? There! I’ll focus on that. A small, redhead goes up. Harry looks around and stopped to stare at a black haired, pale teacher. Snape. Him I knew. He was a Death Eater when Voldemort was in power.

“Ahh!” Harry hissed as he put his hand on his forehead. I looked between the two of them.

“Harry, what is it?” The Weasley asked. I really had to learn his name.

“Nothing...it's nothing, I'm fine.” He replied still staring at Snape.

“Let's see...I know...Hufflepuff!” Oh yeah! The Sorting Hat.

“Vanessa Beyer.” Suddenly the room went silent and a few people actually gasped. I felt myself turn red and I seemed to freeze on the spot. I suddenly just wanted to go home and never come back. The Slytherin table all held smug grins. They knew I was going to be placed in their house, no questions asked. The teachers all turned to look for me, probably to judge me before they even knew me.

I was still frozen and I just wanted to sink through the floor. The cat like Professor called my name once more and Harry and his friend both turned to me. His friend looked at me, fearful but Harry looked at me confused. I looked to Dumbledore who was looking at me once more before he gave a small smile and a nod for me to go ahead. I quickly swallowed and took a shaky step forward. The older woman was looking at me sternly for keeping her waiting as I sat down on the stool. I closed my eyes and prayed to whoever was out there.

But the hat didn’t say anything for a moment before I heard it speaking to me. “Hm. A Beyer. Better be-.” But the hat didn’t say anything. “Well well well, you’re a different kind of Beyer aren’t you? Let’s see. Brave and courageous like a Gryffindor, Smart and curious like a Ravenclaw, cunning and sly like a Slytherin, and Loyal and kind like a Hufflepuff. Curious, very curious.” I felt like I was at the wand shop all over again. I kept thinking to myself and praying that I wasn’t evil like my parents. That I was good and different. That my last name would not be the reason for everyone to judge and define me. I looked at the Slytherin table where Malfoy was smiling slyly at me but his smile held a bit curiosity. The sorting hat was taking forever with me which was confusing the other Slytherin’s. I was a sure in Slytherin to them. Thanks mom and dad….

“Gryffindor!”

“What?!” I squealed in shock and felt my hand smack over my mouth. The Slytherin’s where muttering to each other in shock. This was a mistake, this HAD to be a mistake!

The hat spoke to me before the cat lady took it off. “No mistake. Make yourself proud.”

The Professor was staring at me with something like wonderment as I made my way down to the Gryffindor table. Only a few cheered for me while the others actually moved away from me like I had the plague. I sat down next to Hermione who was confused as to what was going on.

“Please don’t ask.” I muttered in embarrassment. She continued to stare but said nothing. I looked up and across the room to see a pair of icy blue eyes boring into my green ones. Malfoy was shocked but his face also held resentment. I betrayed my family name.

“Ronald Weasley.” I noticed the red headed boy step forward. He sits down and the hat is put on.

The hat was barely on him for 10 seconds before it yelled out, “Gryffindor!!” Ron sighed happily as the table erupted in cheers that didn’t happen for me. Ron slowed down as he neared me and it looked like he was going to keep walking before he stopped and sat on my other side.

He muttered a hello to me and I smiled gratefully at him. I would do everything I could to make sure I proved everyone wrong about me.

“Harry Potter.” Everything goes silent again. Harry walks up and sits down. Soon a minute went by. Then two. Then three and everyone was wondering where he would be placed. The Boy Who Lived.
I was beginning to think he would never be placed anywhere before the hat yelled out once more. “GRYFFINDOR!!”

There was an immense cheering and Harry goes to the Gryffindor table and sits next me as Ron scooted over. Well at least he sat by me right? Harry looked at me and smiled. I smiled back with a grin.

“We weren’t properly introduced. I’m Vanessa.” I held out my hand and he stared at it a moment, probably remembering everyone’s reaction to me. It was like all went silent again as everyone was watching us. If Harry rejected me not only would be embarrassing but it would mean even he didn’t trust me. I waited.

He shook my hand.

“I’m Harry.” He grinned and everyone went back to what they were doing. Thank you Harry, I tried to convey the message with my eyes and I think he understood. A pair of twins was sitting diagonally to me and they were cheering.

“We got Potter! We got Potter!” The next 20 minutes flew by in a flash as others were sorted into their houses. There was a ding of silverware on a glass cup and everyone went quiet.

“Your attention, please.”

Dumbledore stood up with a smile. “Let the feast...begin.” Food magically appeared on all the tables, and the hall is filled with awe and chatter.

“Wow.” Harry whispered and I realized how skinny he was. He was just slightly bigger than I was and I remembered how I asked if he was adopted before I knew who he was. I frowned. They must not have treated him nicely. I put some bread on my dish along with ham and some turkey. I was definitely feasting tonight! Ron started stuffing his face when Harry turned to me.

“So, what’s your story?” The few people around us went silent and Hermione looked my way. I felt my face turn red as I swallowed a mouthful of mash potatoes.

“My story?” I felt myself stutter. “My story is simply. My family has been in Slytherin since this school opened. My parents, may the rot in Hell, were followers of the Dark Lord. His most trusted one’s if you get what that job description implies.” I went silent as I saw his eyes widen and he scooted away from me slightly. I felt my eyebrows pull forward as I tried not to cry. My parents followed the man who killed HIS parents. Why wouldn’t he want to scoot away from me? “Needless to say I’m the first in the family NOT to follow the family business.”

Harry stared at me for a moment and I just kept my eyes on the table in front of me. Hermione next to me grabbed my hand and gave it a gently squeeze. “Well you were placed here for a reason then. Obviously you’re nothing like your parents if the hat even considered to put you in Gryffindor.”
“Actually it was debating between all four.” I said with a small smile. “It said I was smart like a Ravenclaw and loyal and kind like a Hufflepuff. My brother would have flipped had I been put in Hufflepuff-. Oh no.” I trailed off and looked around frightened. I forgot all about my brother! Oh my God he was going to disown me!

“Your brother? I take it he was a Slytherin as well?” Harry asked. He stopped moving away from me so I take that as a plus.

I merely nodded but stayed silent. How was I going to tell Silas? Seamus Finnigan spoke up a few seats down to keep the talking going. I would have to thank him later for making it less awkward.

“I'm half and half. Me dad's a Muggle. Mam's a witch. Bit of a nasty shock for him when he found out.” Neville laughed. I was happy Neville was placed in this house. Maybe just like me he can prove people wrong about him.

Ron, having just finished a chicken wing, reaches into the bowl for more, when a ghostly head, pops out.

“Ahh!” Ron yelled out as I shrieked in surprise. A few people looked our way before they chuckled and went back to eating. They were used to this kind of thing. So this must be Sir Nicholas of Gryffindor. My brother used to make fun of him.

“Hello! How are you? Welcome to Gryffindor.” He said to me and I grinned. I replied with a good thank you for asking when a moment later numerous ghosts come pouring from the walls, sailing along.

Percy, who I learned is the annoying one in the family from Ron spoke up. “Hello, Sir Nicholas. Have a nice summer?”

“Dismal. Once again, my request to join the headless hunt has been denied.” He turned to begins to leave.

“Hey, I know you! You're Nearly Headless Nick!” Ron said as it dawned on him.

“I prefer Sir Nicholas if you don't mind.” He said holding himself up proudly.

“Nearly headless? How can you be nearly headless?” Hermione asked confused.

He grinned. “Like this.” He grabs his head and pulls it to the side. His head is hanging on just by a thread. I gag and have to look away. I ended up somehow looking across the room once more at Malfoy who was glaring at me. He mouthed something to me and I felt the color drain from my face once more.

Traitor.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so proud of this chapter and I don't know why lol. Hope you guys are enjoying! Any comments or messages about what you think will be good as well.