We Took the Fall

54: It Doesn’t Mean I Don’t Want Them

“Have you spoken to the florist lately, Esther?” Catalina posed as she flicked through her friend’s wedding binder, a little smile on her face as she watched the other girl fly around the room, trying desperately to lay her hand on the number of her caterer. It was still a little way off, Esther and Alex had opted to get married on the first of January and they were only just into November, but Catalina couldn’t help but be a little amused by her friend. She was nervous, Catalina could see it all over her face, but she doubted that there was anything to be worried about. Alex adored her, it was clear whenever they together, and, even despite Esther’s flapping, the plans were steadily coming together.

“Do I look like I have spoken to the florist, Lina?” Esther replied, tossing another folder towards the floor.

Catalina shook her head. “Come over here and sit down” she instructed, clearing a spot beside her “You’re going to do yourself damage if you keep going and I am not explaining to Alex that I had to take you to the ER because you were looking for a phone number” she added, smiling.

Esther offered her a little look before she conceded, padding towards the couch.

“You know that we’re still 2 months out right?” Catalina posed as she shifted slightly, trying to get a little more comfortable.

“I know” Esther replied “But with you being pregnant and all, I don’t want to start piling things up on you in case I stress you out and do harm to my little niece or nephew. It means I have to take on a little more work” she explained softly, offering Catalina’s bump a small gander. She was excited for Catalina, having a baby was a big step and one that she was sure that her friend could handle, and Esther wanted to help as much as she could. Without her parents or sister around, Catalina was remarkably dependent on Esther and Fernando and Esther wanted to make things easy on her. It was a big deal and she didn’t want her wedding putting stress on Catalina.

“You know that I don’t need to be babysat, Esther” Catalina noted softly.

Esther nodded. “I know, Lina” she commented softly “But between work and wedding planning, there is a lot of stress and I don’t want you doing harm to yourself, or to bump” she reasoned.

“I can still help out” Catalina noted “I’d like too” she added.

Esther smiled. “I’d really like it” she smiled “But don’t expect me to hand you the huge responsibilities. Fernando would have my head” she teased earning a small eye roll from Catalina.

“He wants us to tell his parents today” Catalina noted gently.

“I am not surprised” Esther replied “I haven’t seen much of him since we found out about bump, but he can’t keep that grin off of his face when he sees you. He probably knows that someone is going to catch on one day” she explained.

Catalina nodded. “I don’t have a problem with them knowing, I’d like people to know, but it kind of stings you know?” she noted gently.

Esther nodded her head. “Have you heard from your parents?” she posed gently.

“My papi called the other day, but that’s about it. He’s going through with the divorce from my madre” she explained.

“Are you OK with that?” Esther posed, moving to collect her wedding folder from Catalina’s arms, her eyes peeking at her friend’s face. It wasn’t talked about, Catalina’s family situation was a mess and Esther, along with Fernando, had learned to steer clear of it, but it was obvious that she was looking for someone to talk to. Being pregnant had clearly touched a nerve with her, making her a little more desperate for the support that her family seemed incapable or unwilling to offer.

Catalina shrugged. “I can’t blame him” she mused “My mother showed her true colours when Nando split up with Cia, but it still kind of hurts. We had some good times as a family and it stings that that is over with” she explained softly.

“Have you heard from your madre?” Esther posed gently.

Catalina scoffed. “What would she say if she found out that I was having Fernando’s baby?” she muttered.

“Lina…”

“I know what she is like, Esther, and I know how she will react when she finds out about the baby, but that doesn’t mean I don’t miss her, or Cia. I know them, and I am not naïve enough to believe that they could change, but I never imagined being pregnant and not having them around. I thought that I would have them to count on” Catalina explained, shaking her head gently. She knew how her mother would be, Marisol would fixate on the fact that it was Fernando’s baby and that Catalina, to her mind at least, didn’t deserve him, but she still missed having her mother around. Marisol was supposed to be with her, she was supposed to help her through it and whilst Fernando’s mother was almost certain to offer to step in, it wouldn’t be quite the same.

Esther sighed. “You want to make amends with her?” she posed.

“I have nothing to apologize for, Esther” Catalina replied, shaking her head gently “I just…I wish it could have been different” she murmured.

Esther looked at her friend for a second before she placed her arms around her, hugging the blonde tightly. “You have nothing to regret, Lina” she assured her softly “Fernando loved you, he always loved you, and those feelings weren’t just going to disappear, no matter how hard he tried to make them. Alicia was an unfortunate casualty of a man who just wanted to be with girl he loved and a girl who had never given up hope that she would get him back and your mother’s reaction was to choose favourite. She sided with the girl who cheated, the girl who lied, and she lost out on the one who just wanted to be happy and in love. I have no idea how it feels to not have them around, Lina, especially now that you’re carrying around that bump, but you shouldn’t be the one who feels bad” she explained gently.

Catalina sighed, resting her head on her friend’s shoulder. “I am sorry for whining” she murmured.

Esther shook her head. “This is nothing. I had a cousin who had a baby. You wait until the hormones kick in” she teased, trying to lighten the mood.

Catalina giggled gently. “I am going to be a pain for the next few months” she noted.

“Mine and Fernando’s pain” Esther replied “You may not have your madre or your sister around, but me and blondie are going to work our backsides off to ensure that you, and my little niece or nephew, have an easy journey” she vowed softly.

Catalina nodded her head and smiled. “You’re great” she noted.

“I am, aren’t I?” Esther teased before she offered Catalina another hug, more than happy to support her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to FootieJo and Jayme112234 for the comments :)