Status: In Progress

When Love Marches In

Ch.4

Jessica had been running her ass off around the pub attending to everyone so her mind didn't wander to her favorite Irishman. While she wiped some tables down she heard another familiar voice call out her name, looking up she saw one of the regulars, Nate. Nate was like a big brother to Jessica, if the twins weren't at McGinty's, he'd take on the responsibility of making sure nobody messed with her. He was in his early thirties, blonde hair, married, two kids and was a personal trainer...and he also knew about Jessica's dilemma about a certain Irishman. She finished wiping the table down then pocketed the rag into the apron pocket before going over to Nate to hug him.

"How'a doin'?" He asked after the hug was over.

"I'm doing pretty good. How are you?" Jessica plastered a fake smile on her face like it was rehearsed a million times and it was like Nate was the only one that could see through it.

"I'm doing better than what you're trying to lead on." He stated with a soft smile. "C'mon, tell Doc you're taking a five or ten minute break yo-"

"I can't."

"Sure ya can. Just say, 'Hey Doc, I'm taking a small break'." Nate said louder so Doc could hear it.

Jessica glanced over to Doc to see him giving a nod in their direction.

"Looks like you need some 'counseling' time. You'll thank me later." Nate said as he led her to a booth that was in the corner, away from everyone. "So, what's up Jessica?"

"How do you always know there's something wrong?" Jess sighed, running her fingers through her hair as she sat opposite of Nate. "Same stuff. Different day."

"But there's something else going on too, isn't there? I was here last night too. Saw you making a mess and everything else, which isn't like you. Was going to pull you away for a few last night but Doc sent you home." Nate frowned with concern etched all over his face.

"We already know the source."

He nodded before speaking. "Did you finally tell him?" Jess shook her head and Nate started up again. "Jessica, you've got to tell him. I can see that you keeping your feelings a secret's eating you up inside."

"Believe me, I tried to tell him..." She stopped when one of her co-workers came to the table to hand Nate his normal drink, even though he didn't order for it. When Jessica's co-worker left the table Nate eyed Jess for her to continue but she never did.

"Okay, what do you mean by you tried?"

"Exactly that. I tried."

"Dammit Jessica, would you just quit bein' hard headed and talk. What did ya do? Handcuff him to something but he broke free before you got a chance to tell him?"

"No. And where in the hell would I get handcuffs? Can't really go into the police station and ask for some."

"You can get some at a sex toy store." Nate had a smirk plastered on his face when Jessica's face was as red as Rudolph's nose from embarrassment. "I was only joking, no need to go and get embarrassed. But seriously, why didn't you tell him?" He asked taking a drink.

"I tried...we were in a room-"

"Ooo, a room. Do tell." Nate teased.

"You're a jackass." Jessica chuckled out before continuing. "He seemed more concerned about a gift bag then what I had to say." She frowned.

"What was in the gift bag? Maybe it was for you and he didn't want you to know what he got ya."

"There was nothing in the bag for me-"

"How do you know?"

"'Cause I'm the one that picked it up from the twins." Jess stated, trying not to give out too much information on what was in the bag. "It was their personal belongings." Though that part wasn't true, it was cash, guns and jewelry from the Russians the night before, but Nate didn't need to know about that.

"Oh." Nate said. "By the way, where are they? Haven't seen 'em for a couple of days."

"They were in here before the pub opened. They're probably with Rocco causing chaos. You know how they are when Rocco's around."

"I've witnessed what happens when those three are together."

"Don't remind me."

"J-J-Jessica. You g-g-got a call! Fuck! Ass!"

Jessica looked over to the bar to see the phone in Doc's hand. "Alright, I'll be there in a second." She furrowed her eyebrows curiously and in confusion, who'd be calling her? Jess never got calls during work.

"Wonder who that could be." Nate said with a hint of amusement.

"I don't know. There's no way that could be them." Jessica got up from the booth. "I'll talk to you later okay?"

"Alright Jessica, go find out who it is and get doing your job. You're slacking." He teased.

In return Jessica flipped him the bird and Nate laughed as she walked away to the bar. After she thanked Doc, Jess took the phone.

"Hello this is Jessica." She said in her 'best professional' voice.

"Ye sound like such a professional over te phone."

Connor!

"I'm kinda working so I do have to sound a little professional. Don't you think?"

"Yer never professional when it come te me, Murph 'nd Roc. How do ye explain t'at?"

"That's because I know you three and you guys are my friends. I don't have to be professional when I'm around you three." Jess quipped back. "So what is it you needed?"

"In a hurry are we?"

Jessica could hear the smirk in Connor's voice.

"Connor, if you called while I wasn't working then I'd be able to talk more."

"A'righ' Jess. Settle down. Murph 'nd I were t'inking, ye wanna come ova te Roc's after work?"

"Connor, you know how I feel about Rocco's girlfriend ever since she accused me of fucking him." Jessica spoke the last part quietly so the patrons at the bar couldn't hear.

Of course Jess wanted to go over there to hang out mostly with Connor but with Rocco's girlfriend accusing her not once, not twice but three times about the same thing, there was no way Jessica wanted to be near Rocco's apartment.

"C'mon Jess, everyone knows ye haven't fucked him-"

"She's not even here Jessica!" Rocco's voice could be heard in the background through the phone.

"Which makes the situation even worse if she walked in and I happened to be there." Jessica pointed out, even though Rocco couldn't hear her directly.

"Guess t'at means it's still a no."

"Yes Connor. I'll see you tomorrow ok? I gotta get back to work."

"A'righ' Jess, I'll see ye tomorrow. But if ye change yer mind on comin' ova t'e offer still stands."

"Alright Connor." Jess chuckled out a response.

"Hey Connor!"

The sudden voice behind Jessica had her jumping. When she whipped around Jess saw Nate with a grin and in return she glared at him for scaring her.

"Hey t'ere Nate!" Connor yelled through the phone.

"Oh brother..." Jess mumbled to herself before speaking through the phone again.
"Well, I gotta get back to work. I'll see you and Murphy tomorrow." She hung up the phone then looked to Nate, who was trying hard not to bust out laughing. "You are such an ass. You scared me on purpose."

"Sorry Jessica. Thought it was a great time since you never have your guard down.

"Guess I can forgive you this once. So are you wanting another drink or are you closing your tab out?"

"Closing it out. So you were on the phone with Connor for a while. What were ya doing? Not having phone sex were ya?"

Jessica's eye widened and her mouth fell open as she tried to figure out what to say while Nate laughed his ass off at her reaction.

"Oh my God! Really Nate? What is this? Pick on Jessica night or something?" She asked, closing out his tab then handed him the bill.

"Ya know you're like a sister to me. Gotta pick on ya sometimes." Nate laughed as he fished the cash out of his pocket to pay the bill and to leave her a tip. "But on a serious note Jessica, you've got to tell him before it's too late."

Jessica rose her eyebrow curiously at that statement as she took the dollar bills and put them in the cash register. "Is there something that you know that I don't know about?"

"No. I'm just saying. If one of you don't make the move, the other will finally move on. I know you're not blind or stupid Jessica. By now you should know Connor's got the hots for you too."

"If that's true then why doesn't he make the first move then?"

"I would say he's scared but that's not Connor." Nate chuckles before continuing. "I'm not sure though. Maybe he's tired of always making the first move? I don't know what it's like at the apartments but from what I've seen here, he's always made the first move with you." Nate got up from the bar stool with a smile. "Well I better get going. You think about what I said ok."

"Alright Nate. Have a good night." Jess smiled.

"Night Jessica." Nate said before walking out of the pub, leaving Jessica to think about all the things he said.