‹ Prequel: Is He for Me?

He Has My Heart

Chapter Nine: Safe

Ashleys POV

I took the safe back to the hotel before it was daylight. I wanted to see if I could find Riley myself, but didn't want to risk leaving the safe in case they took it.
I hadn't slept in the last two nights and was exhausted, but Lena would be in the office in a few hours.
I laid down on the bed and closed my eyes just for a few minutes.

I woke up hours later. It was two in the afternoon.
"Shit!" I yelled to myself.
I ran into the main room and the safe sat on the counter where I left it. Relief washed over me as I took it in my arms and took it downstairs.
Lena saw me round the corner and her eyes widened. She pulled out her phone and I assumed she was calling Tyler.
"Bring it round here" she said opening the side door to behind the counter.
I didn't go in though.
"What are you doing!? Bring it in here!" She said clenching her teeth.
"I want you to let Riley go!" I shouted at her.
I heard the elevator ding and Tyler rounded the corner a moment later.
"What do we have here?" He said in a smug tone.
I hugged the safe closer to my chest.
"I'll give you the safe if you let Riley go" I said shifting my glare between them.
"I'll call Eric, but lets move this into the office" Tyler said pulling his phone out.
They directed me into an office, but I still held onto the safe.
15 minutes later another guy showed up. His stare bored into the safe.
"Is that what I think it is?" He said with excitement in his voice.
"We hope so, but someone won't give it up till he sees the girl" Tyler said sharply.
I glared at him.
"Tyler, bring Christina up to their suite" Eric said dismissively.
I was shocked, but I didn't want to show them that.
Tyler left, but kept his gaze on me till I was out of sight.
Eric focused his sight on the dial.
"I can take it from here" he said taking the safe from me. "By the way, how did you find it?" He asked, already fiddling with the dial.
"Christina had a hunch and she was right. He dad hid it in a very clever spot" I said not wanting to tell him.
"Hmm, Lena, escort Mr. Purdy back up to his room, where Christina should be by now. Thank you Mr. Purdy. You have returned something that I lost many years ago" he said, completely delighted to see the safe.
"I trust she'll be in the room" I said looking at Eric one last time before exiting the room.
"Yes" he said waving me and Lena off.
We walked in silence to the elevator and up to my room. Tyler was just stepping out of our room as we reached the door.
"Riley!" I yelled pushing passed him.
She was lying on the couch passed out. I quickly assessed her body and she looked completely beaten. Her face was bruised and blood had dried around her nose and mouth. I noticed more blood lower down on her dress. What did they do to her?
I picked her up and cradled her in my arms. I felt a lump growing in my throat. I hugged her closer to my chest, just waiting for her to respond to me.
"Riley please! Wake up, please just let me know you're okay!" I whispered desperately.
I put my ear to her chest and her heart beat slowly and steadily.
I pulled out my phone and called the airport. I would have taken her to a hospital, but I didn't want to risk staying here any longer than needed. She would be okay till we got home. I hope.

Rileys POV

I woke to the sound of beeping.
My eyes squinted to the brightness of the room. I was not in a hotel boiler room.
I looked down at my arm and was attached to various machines. My other arm however was being clutched by a sleeping Ashley.
Relief flooded over me to see him. His head rested in my hand, while he sat in a padded chair. I moved my hand to try and wake him. He stirred and looked up at me.
Once he realised I was awake his eyes widened.
"You're awake!" He said fully awake and hugging me best he could. "I'm so sorry Riley! We don't ever have to go back. I promise. I thought I lost you!" He said kissing my forehead gently.
"Ash, where are we?"
"We're home, in LA. I didn't want to risk staying there any longer."
"What happened?" I asked looking over myself. Trying to figure out where hurt.
"The safe was where you said. I gave it to a guy named Eric and he didn't even try opening it. He just handed you over, but you were beaten up. What did they do to you?" He asked with concern filling his eyes.
"Well, when Tyler let you see me, he raged out on me, saying that he wouldn't be so kind if I asked again. He punched me twice and kicked in my gut I think" I said thinking back.
"I'm just glad you're okay. I was so worried. I was so afraid you weren't going to make it through the trip home, but you hung on. That's all I can ask for" he said trying his best to cradle me in his arms.
"Ashley? Please don't ever leave me" I said gripping his arm as hard as I could.
"Never" he said lightly kissing my lips.
There was a light knock at the door and Ashley pulled away.
"Ahh, good to see you're awake Miss James. I'm doctor Roberts. You had some internal damaged that we did some damage control on and you needed stitches on your face."
"I'm sorry, I had internal damage? What kind exactly?" I said worried. I felt Ashley grip my shoulders ready for my reaction. "Ashley what is he talking about?"
"Proceed doc" Ashley said. I looked up at him worriedly.
Dr. Roberts sighed. "You were almost four weeks pregnant, but the injury you sustained damaged the growth of the fetus and we forced to remove it. This may or may not affect your future pregnancies. I'm sorry."
I couldn't believe the doctors words. I didn't know what to think.
"Thank you doctor" Ashley said as he exited the room.
Ashley sat on my bed facing me.
"Riley. I don't know how to begin to say I'm sorry for this" he holding my hands in his.
I felt tears well in my eyes. I couldn't deal with this. This was too much.
"Ash, I just want to go home. Please? I want to forget any of this happened! I really can't take anymore" I said breaking down into sobs.