Status: First attempt at becoming a successful writer. Hoping it good to read.

In Love With the Manhunter

Chapter 9: A Talk Between Half Brothers...

Eddie got up with a start his dirty white trench coat falling to the ground with a collection of clunks and clicks. Eddie’s eye’s tried to focus on a grey and blue blob that flew at him (That thing’s... head for ME!) Eddie’s mind shouted at him as the grey and blue blob hit him directly in between his eyes as he fell to the ground on his coat. Eddie held his side as a pain exploded to it as he fell on something hard, (That was one of my grenades.) He thought as he rubbed his side groaning. “Ugh, that was my kidney.” Eddie groaned as his eyes adjusted to the darkness and light.

Bruticus jolted up sending Natelia into the white booth where Eddie was before. Natalia had on a simple purple cropped tank top, and dark blue jeans. She still had her boots, but they were untied and barely holding onto her feet, “Boss you alright?” Bruticus asked rubbing his eyes.

Natalia groaned, “What about me?” She got up shakily rubbing her forehead.
“Shut it.” Eddie said slowly gaining a headache, “I getting a headache get me some alcohol, or some coffee would do.

Bruticus just fell back to the ground snoring away as Natalia softly rested her head against the booth’s white cushion as she went back to sleep. Eddie groaned as he pushed himself back up, “Might as well get it myself. I’m not a god damn king, I’m a leader of a dead gang I get my own stuff.” He muttered as he went into what looked like a kitchen area rummaging through a fridge finding nothing, but a can of soda. It’s red and silver can shined in the dim light of the fridge. Eddie swiped the can tapping the can’s top as he lifted the pull tab as it let out a high click and a sound of fizzing slowly died away. Eddie sipped at the fizzing drink the soda burn his throat as it went down.

Then a pedestal in the corner of the kitchen Eddie walked over to it as a purple pinkish woman appeared. She looked at him anger in her eyes but her voice was calm, “Eddie may I ask you something.” she asked calmly.

“Shoot.” Eddie said as he sipped the soda as he let out a small burp.

“Is Sha- is Ryder always so-”

“Idiotic, rage filled, acts like a vengeful spirit?” Eddie tried taking another sip of the soda.

“Why is he so distance and talk about bad things that happens to him, but he never tells anyone about it?” She asked as she wasn’t in the mood for sarcasm.

Eddie’s mind was empty. He actually wasn’t able to come up with any quips, “He- he is like that. Ever since I went down on Harmony Ark,” Eddie explained, “Nothing been the same from then on be it for him or me.”

“What happened to him? What does he never tell anyone about.” Zero asked again.

“What hasn’t happened to the fucker? He tells of me send a man to kill his girlfriend, but I didn’t do it. He has lost things and people faster than you can say ‘I’m sorry’ No matter what I do it seems before I can say anything it’s gotten worse in a blink of an eye. Where is he anyway?” Eddie asked pacing through the rooms. Zero following him.

“He’s went outside to the hanger, but I don’t know where he went from-”

Eddie cut her off as Eddie crushed the can tossing it to the ground near the trash, “Is there an Ice storm going on?” Eddie asked walking and grabbing his white trench coat.

“Yes, why does that matter?” She asked looking quizzically at Eddie

Eddie never answered her as he place it on buttoning it up, and buckled it shut tight. He grabbed a helmet that was in a hidden case. The helmet was a full covering gas mask that had red lenses for eyes to look through. When Eddie placed it on it let out a hiss Eddie picked up some gloves that were in his pockets as the locked around his wrists sealing him head to toe not allowing neither air nor light to get in. Eddie walked out off the ship even through the yelling Zero gave him to get back. When the door sealed the hangar full of people. The people varied from pushing boxes around, to fueling up ships, to cleaning ships. Eddie walked over to the hanger shields spotting a pair of black dots. hanging at the high top of the very tall shields. Eddie approximated that the shield was at least forty yards high. When Eddie stepped close to the shield doors a voice called out to him, “If you're looking for your friend his out there on the top of the shields. You may to check on him he's been out there in the ice for quite a while. It’s far below freezing out there you may want to get him inside. He may have frozen to death already.” A woman said in the hanger uniforms the rest of the people wore. The bright blue and purple uniforms serving their purpose to highlight them clearly.

“I highly doubt he’s dead.” Eddie simply said as he stepped out into the cold icy space. The area was well light from the ice reflecting any light there was, but he could well feel the cold biting at his body. Eddie could not understand why Ryder like to be out during ice storms it was a complex mystery to him. Eddie use the zero gravity and parts of the ship to get up to Ryder who just sat there looking out into space. When Eddie looked Ryder who had used a grappling hook to anchor him to the ship so he couldn’t float off into the icy abyss. Giant glaciers and small pieces of ice floated around revealing a truly magnificent sight against the star abyss. When Eddie looked at Ryder up close he could actually see icicles and a ice film on Ryder’s armor, “I knew you would be out here.” Eddie said in a static robotic voice.

“What do you want?” Ryder growled his voice also staticy, but it sound like he was speaking through a metal tube.

“Well a lot of things.” Eddie said sitting next to Ryder holding onto the ship with his gloved hands, “Zero wants you back in the XR, I want to know why you like it out here when it's this cold, and I want to also know what was with the commotion this morning.” his hands firmly gripping a metal bar holding him in place, “Another thing is why have you been so tense lately?”

“Is that any of your business?” Ryder asked looking at him seeming to be out of his trance.

“Yeah it kind of is I mean me being your somewhat brother, military brother-in-arms, and partner.” Eddie said matter-a-factly.

“What the hell are you smoking?” Ryder asked looking at him and Eddie gave him a look, “Well brother yes, but my partner? No.”

“What’d mean?” Eddie asked seeming offended, “I been with you through thick and thin!”

“Yeah but being there doesn’t mean you're my ‘partner’, however I guess you're more than an acquaintance… Maybe just maybe.”

“You going to answer any other of my questions?” Eddie asked as he looked at the ice floating around through the stars.

“Nope.”

“Of course not… Wanna shoot, horribly maim, or destroy something?”

“Yep… You wanna steal, hussle, or exploit the shit out of something or someone?”

“Yes.”

“You feel like doing something?” They both said in unison, “Yes.” Ryder disconnected his grappling hook as Eddie grabbed it. Ryder used his built in boosters to fly back into the ship. Ryder and Eddie landed both taking off their helmets as a familiar soldier walked up to them. Other soldiers and pilots rushed around the hanger. “Captain Madwick what can we do from you?” Ryder and Eddie said.

“We have several unidentified ships coming out of hyperspace.” said urgency clear in his voice.

“Ok just blow them out of the sky with the behemoth you have here.” Eddie said as if it was obvious.

Captain Madwick’s helmet melted away, “ It’s not that simple, we have frost around us making it impossible to fire any fuel based projectile be it laser, or an actual projectile. The frost have locked up the guns, and neutralized the fuels that go along with them.”

Eddie tucked his helmet under his arm as he put his other hand to his chin in thought, “What about IONs of Rails? They aren’t fuel based that should be fine… That is if you have them.”

“We do have rails: Thunder and Loki, but they’re in battery locations. On top and under, but they need to be manned by at least five men or women. The positions filled need to be fire control, coolant and repair, injection, and a loader at least four people have to be on it.”

“Why? Didn’t you guys get the upgraded model 88s?” Eddie asked scratching his head in confusion.

“Eddie they’re Thunder and Loki models they’re built for massive orbital strikes, and heavy anti-frigate, they are no good against small starfighters, or small maneuverable class ships.”

“About the unidentified ships are they all small or are they-” Ryder was cut off when a thunderous explosion rang through the hanger.

“We are under attack, this is not a drill pilots scramble all fighters. I repeat not a drill! Spotters spot two-hundred small fighters and bombers and four-hundred Sentinel class frigates… We are under attack, this is not a drill pilots scramble all fighters and mount a counterattack!” The intercom said followed closely by screeching air sirens.

“Madmutt I have the top gun with my rema- my remain- my remain-ing gang members and Rachel.” Eddie said as if saying remaining would kill him as he ran to the XR.

“He got his woman back?” Madwick asked Ryder raising an eyebrow in question.

“No he didn’t.” Ryder said flatly. The ship shook again making Ryder and Captain Madwick stumble a little.

“Can I trust you with some of my men on the lower gun?” Madwick asked order a few people around.

“No I’m going out there. You have a free ship?” Ryder asked as he placed his helmet back on his voice becoming muffled and robotic.

“Just a Sonic-Repeater Jump Jet, Gale are you sure you can fly it?” Captain Madwick asked.

“I’m sure I’ll figure it out,” Ryder said, “Also I don’t like it when you use my last name it’s one I’ll get a bad rap for it…. Hey I forgot to ask, do I still have my place in Vertigo Squad?”

“They wouldn’t have anyone else.” Captain Madgwick said as they parted ways looking at the people behind him just standing there, “Alright people let’s get a move on and show these people they're messing with the Dremora Clan who are not getting weak!!!”

Ryder walked over to the Jump Jet the one plasma engine turning a bright red as engineers and works brought it online and getting it ready for combat. Ryder climbed up the small yellow ladder into the cockpit connecting four tubes to his helmet. The tubes let out hisses as they were connected. With every breath Ryder took the sound was double with an electronic breathing of the respirator as it gave him more oxygen. Ryder began to flick some switches and press some buttons as the jet’s mainframe came online. When Ryder pressed a button his vision became black before his vision came right back now a purple heads up display. There were crosshairs, a weapon identifier, ammo counter, and a rocket counter. Ryder cracked a smile as he gripped the two joysticks flipping up the red coverings on the triggers, “This is where the fun begins.”

The radio came to life random radio chatter flying by but a female voice got his attention, “Vertigo 2-2 how copy?”

“This is Vertigo 2-2, Vertigo 3-3 solid copy.” Another female voice that Ryder also remember came through the slightly staticy radio.

“Vertigo 2-2, Vertigo 3-3 How copy?” Ryder asked as he turned a knob on the control console adjusting the crosshairs.

“Vertigo 2-2 come again?” one of the female voice asked

“Vertigo 3-3 I said nothing, what’s wrong?” the other female voice asked

“Ah, it’s nothing I probably just getting some old ghost tracking.”

Ryder turned some knobs before speaking again, “I repeat Vertigo 2-2, Vertigo 3-3 how copy over?”

“Is that the old boss?” a female voice asked before hastily correcting itself, “Uh I mean solid copy please identify yourself.”

“This is Vertigo 1-1 I’m in a SS JJ how copy so far?” Ryder asked

“Vertigo 3-3 solid copies your flying a SS JJ over.” Vertigo 3-3 said

“Ha Ha I knew it was the old boss!” Vertigo 2-2 said

“How are you doing ladies?” Ryder asked giving a thumbs up to a man outside his cockpit as the canopy closed around his the the man crossed his arms over his head before his hands lit up green and he began to back up waving his arms behind an in front of him. Ryder pushed the joystick forward a little as the jet lurched into motion. I was put in line with the other starfighters.

“We should be asking you.” Vertigo 2-2 said as her fighter fell in line to my right.

“So how’s your long vacation been?” Vertigo 3-3 said as her bomber fell to my left.

“The feeling is mutual to both of you ladies, to be back that is, but I’m not staying for forever.” Ryder said as he flicked up a switch pressing the yellow and black stripped button.

“Safety off, loading minigun, loading seeker missiles, loading displacer flares, loading shockwaves... Loading complete.” The jet’s computer said in a female voice as pictures, which flashed red before turning green and stopped blinking.

Then Ryder heard the sound of a mic being shaken before Eddie’s voice come through the staticy radio, “Is this thing on?”

“Ugh, don’t tell me that scumbag Eddie is with you.” Vertigo 2-2 groad.

“Hi Veronica, I missed you too.” Eddie said as he fiddled with the mic

“Oh boy he is.” Vertigo 3-3 mumbled.

“Hey is Velvet there too?” Eddie asked

“Yes Mcdouchebag I’m here.” Velvet sighed

“Alright now that this little reunion done we need to keep radio chatter to up most importance, no unnecessary chatter.” Ryder said as he gripped the joysticks tightly.

“Hey Veronica you wanna go have dinner after this little tussle?” Eddie asked obviously ignoring my order.

“We’re on a war frigate in the middle of nowhere idiot.” Velvet said venom dripping from her words.

“I heard the mess hall here serves good grub.” Eddie said

“Oh you gotta be kidding me.” Velvet said to herself as Ryder let out a small dark laugh.

“Uh I don’t think so Mcdouchebag.” Veronica said a small thump sounding through the radio like she was leaning back into the seat of her fighter.

“A swing and a miss.” Ryder whispered earning a giggle from Velvet.

“Okay…. Velvet the offer is to you too-”

Before Eddie could finish his sentence Velvet cut him off, “No.”

“Alright like I said can we please keep the unnecessary radio chatter to a minimum, or better yet let’s have none.” I ordered as I fiddled with the crosshairs.

“Agreed,” Velvet and Veronica said together.

“All fighters prepare to fly on my mark. Fighter rows one and two fly.” The first row and second rows of fighters flew out of the hanger into the ice storm, “Fighters in rows three and four fly.” The next twenty rows were called until it was our turn, “Fighters in rows twenty-five and twenty-six fly.”

Ryder pushed the throttle stick forward as the jet jumped into motion shooting out of the hanger into the ice storm. Veronica and Velvet followed Ryder in a tight V as other fighters did the same, but following their own leaders, “All wings report in.” A random Voice called out as the last group of fighters exited into the soon to be battlefield.

“Gold reporting it.” A man said

“Blue reporting.” A woman said

“Grey in line.” Another man said following some static

“Crimson, ready to tear these idiots a new one!” a different man said as the static over the radio began to clear up.

“Teal present.” A woman said as a series of beep and clicks followed her word closely.

“Orange here to bomb them down.” another woman said as a collection of twenty or so bombers of different sizes, and shapes flew behind Ryder before passing over him.

“Purple in line, we’re runnin and gunnin.” A man said as fast, small jets flew past, all almost similar to one another, to Ryder’s front.

“Red copies.” A man said as big gunships fell in line in the lower right of Ryder’s vision.

“Yellow check check.” A woman said as a four medium sized jets flew under him before flying in front of Ryder and his squadron.

“Pale Magenta reads all.” A man said as three small X and V shaped ships with a disc on top of them flew behind the big gunships.

“Black falling in.” A woman said as a collection of jump jets, which very different than the one Ryder flew, flew over Ryder and flew to the front of the army of fighters.

“Green lining up.” A man said as ten Y shaped fighters fell close behind the jump jets.
“Slate falling in.” Veronica said as Ryder had forgotten slash didn’t know their color sign.

About well over fifteen more colors were named followed a rather a quip or highly professional response. The formation was almost like three wave W the more durable semi-fast ships in the front, fast nimble fighters in the middle, the heavy and slower gunships in the back right, the bombers the middle left, the regular fighters in the back left, and some sort of special squadron sort of like Ryder’s in the backish middle.

“This is going to be both difficult and painful in the mornin’ ,” Ryder mumbled out as he looked for any sign on enemy ships, “Where are you fuckers hiding.” Now that Ryder thought of it in a ice storm like this one it seemed to be the perfect for an ambush, but were the the ambushers, or where they the ambushed? “This seems a good way to be ambushed.” Ryder said on openly to all fighters.

“But from where?” a young female voice asked, “Overseers you picking up anythin’?”

“Nah scopes clean.” an older male voice said almost immediately, “However the cold and glaciers are bugging out the bloody sensors.”

“I have a bad feeling about this.” Velvet said.

All the voices had an insecure sound to them and like they were all looking around nervously, “This doesn’t make sense... Madwick get on the line!” Ryder demanded more than asked.

“What.” Madwick asked as if he had been sprinting around for a while.

“Madwick we don’t see anything neither do the sensors do, are you sure there were ship coming out of hyperspace?” Ryder asked as he continued to scan the icy space.

“Ryder we were, just minutes ago, bombarded by high velocity plasma shells, so yes I do believe there are ships out there as the sensors did pick up high amounts of hyper radiation, which infact tells us there are ships out there.”

“Captain Madwick sir I mean no offence or nothin’, but I thinkin’ you're reading are full of shit… Sir. Ryder’s right it’s clean as a the space should be. No lick of any ships or extra metal for that matter.” A shaky mature male voice said.

“Private I have three holes in the side of the god damn frigate that say otherwise.” Madwick said matter-a-factly.

Maybe it was a run and gun,” An old female voice suggested, “Maybe that flew in thinking it was a low class frigate we had, and when they say the danger they left?”

“There is no extra radiation spikes that suggests that.” Madwick again said matter-a-factly.

“I. Do. Not. Like. This.” a mature female voice said

“This is creeping me the fuck out.” a older male voice said.

“You and me both buddy… Expect a lot less on the creeping out part just the not like this,” Eddie said through the static of the radio, “I feel like a effing deer when it hears, or smells something off. You know whipping it’s head around, and all wide eyed and shit. Exactly like that.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this is out so late, but now here is another cliffhanger :/ *cricket sounds and coughing*. I know this is not a good way, or maybe it is a good thing to some. But I digress I will try my best to relieve this cliff hanger as soon as I can, until then keep hanging *more cricket sounds and coughing*... Okay maybe- yeah no it was a crappy joke. Anyway see you all next time, and if you still coming along thank you for sticking with me through this, I really mean it thank you!