A New Labyrinth

Only a Book, Only a Story

I sat in the park, guitar in my lap. I hadn't been paying to the time or my phone and I should have. I was running late.

My step mother was going to kill me. I stood and slunged my guitar across my back, running home.

I only stopped to admire a beautiful barn owl.

I burst through the front door, breathing heavily. There stood my step mother. Her bright red hair was carefully and perfectly done in a bun. Light makeup covered her face making her green eyes pop. She wore a black dress that stopped at her knees. Her hands were on her small waist. A scowl on her face.

"Where have you been, Arabella?" she asked

"For the last time Victoria its Ara." I said

She looked me over and a look of disgust came across her face. She didn't like my light blue, ripped jeans, black tank and blue skate shoes. My long black hair was in tangles from running. I knew my blue eyes, so much like my late mother's, mocked her.

My father came walking down the stairs.

"George do you see what your daughter is wearing?" she asked

Dad was dressed in a Grey suit. He smiled sweetly at me before looking at his wife.

"Vicky Ara is seventeen. Let her do what she wants." he said wrapping his arm around her waist. "Ara, Dakota is asleep. He should sleep for the rest of the night but do check on him. We have our phones if anything happens."

He walked over to me kissing my forehead. They left leaving me in the house with my year old half brother.

I made my way up the stairs to my room. I didn't even pause as their door. I opened the door to my small room. I put my guitar in its black case. Walking to my desk I discover my favorite book is gone.

"That bitch." I growl

I storm out of my room to theirs. Not caring if I woke up Dakota I slammed the door open turning the light on. Sure enough he starts crying.

I walk over to their bed, grabbing my book before walking over to him.

"You know Dakota, I wish the Goblin King in this book was real. I also wish he would take you away." I said before leaving the room slamming the door shut

I walked back to my room. He was crying very loudly now. But stopped dead in my tracks when his crys stopped. I ran back to the door opening it. The light was off.

I didn't turn it off. Did I?

I walked in.

"Dakota." I said as I walked to his crib

His blanket was moving. I slowly reached for it, picking it up.

There was nothing. His crib was empty.

"Dakota?" I called again

Something moved behind me. I turned only to find nothing. Then there was tapping at their window. It was the owl from earlier.

The window flew open letting the owl come in. Expect the owl turned into a very handsome man.

He had long, wild white blonde hair and two different color eyes. He wore a baggy shirt, a clock that almost looked like twilight. He also wore tight gray pants and knee high black boots.

I knew who he was.

He was the Goblin King from my book.

But its only a book. Only a story.