Status: Active // weekly updates

Best for Business

Coming Down

Seth did great in his match, but John was able to pull off a win. After Seth’s match, I asked if we could just leave without checking in with the bosses, like Seth usually does. He agreed and sent a message to Hunter, and then went back to his hotel with me.

Right now, I’m drinking a glass full of orange juice and vodka. Seth is drinking a beer from the six pack he purchased earlier tonight. We’re freshly showered and already in our pajamas. I’ve had time to think over my feelings and figure out what I want to say. Our night has been painfully quiet, and I can’t help but feel responsible.

I feel bad for Seth. The whole night he’s been upset, and I haven’t once comforted him. Even now, we’re hardly even touching. I down the rest of my drink and curl up next to Seth. “I’m really sorry about tonight,” I tell him.

He curls his arm around my back. “Why are you sorry? You didn’t do anything.” He takes a drink from the nearly empty can and sets it on the bedside table.

“I wasn’t as welcoming to you. I should’ve been jumping into your arms because I get to see you. I spent my whole week without you, and, now that I’m with you, it feels like I’m wasting it. I’ve been so wrapped up in my bad day that I’ve forgotten all about you, and you’re the one who makes me the happiest.”

The corners of his mouth turn upward. “Bad days happen, baby girl. Do you want to talk about it?”

“I’m just letting stress get to me. I feel like I have to win every match now because I’ve been winning for so long. And, with the Dolph bullshit, I can’t help but be annoyed. I didn’t expect to walk into work today and have everybody talking about me. I didn’t know how to handle it,” I sigh.

“It’s okay to lose a match, Shay. You’ve already made history, and you can’t win everything. It’s essential to remember that, win or lose, you’re doing your job. It feels great to win, but you can’t just win. The whispers in the back will subside. Nothing lasts forever. I’m sorry you’re dealing with this, and I’m going to do whatever I can to keep your name from coming out of his mouth,” He leans down to kiss my temple.

“Can we just ignore it? I think maybe our best option is to let people talk. We know where I got to where I am, and that’s what matters. If people think you got me there, let them. My work history shows otherwise, anyway.”

“Why?” Seth tops off his can and excuses himself to get another. I ask him to make me another drink, and he does that, too.

“It takes up so much of our energy to tell people whose minds are already made up. Let’s be positive and focus on our relationship and careers. I’ve told you before that I don’t care what people say about us.” I take my cup from Seth’s hand. We sit up and take slow sips of our alcohol.

“But you still care. You wouldn’t have been so upset if you didn’t.”

I run my free hand through my hair. “I think I was just upset because I wasn’t expecting it. Now that I’ve had time to think it over, I’m not as upset. The only upsetting part is that a person I once deemed a friend is the one spreading rumors.” I take a big gulp of my drink and look over at Seth, who doesn’t look convinced.

“I think you’re downplaying the situation,” he says.

“Maybe you’re just overreacting,” I comment.

“I hardly said anything. I’m not overreacting at all. But, yes, I am upset. Your name wouldn’t be tarnished if I wasn’t around.”

“I really don’t think this is about you. My business may be yours. We’re a package deal, but, Seth, this didn’t start because of you. It started because Dolph didn’t get what he wanted.”

Seth nods slowly and tells me I’m right. He looks like he wants to say more, but he doesn’t. We sit on his hotel bed in silence. Seth’s phone vibrates, but he doesn’t reach over to grab it. It’s uncomfortably quiet in the room.

“Do you want to watch a movie or something?” I ask. Sitting in silence became too much to bare.

“I guess,” Seth shrugs. I hook up my DVD player as Seth sifts through my movie collection. He hands me The Shining. I set it in the player and sit back down with him.

We watch the first half of the movie in silence. Seth is sitting up, and I’m laying down with my head in his lap. He uses his free hand to run his fingers through my hair. I still feel a little uncomfortable from our last conversation, and I can’t shake that feeling. “I’m sorry,” I eventually tell him in a half-whisper.

“For what?” Seth asks.

“I don’t know. Tonight, I guess. Fighting with you. I just want you to be happy with me,” I say.

Seth looks down at me. “I don’t have any reason to be upset with you. I am happy.” I can hear that he’s genuine, but he doesn’t sound as happy as he always does.

“I know you don’t have a reason, but it hasn’t been a good night.”

“It doesn’t have to be a good night. Bad nights happen from time to time. They keep us humble and human. But tonight hasn’t been bad because of you. I don’t have any problems with you.”

I lean up and give him a kiss. “You’re right. Thank you.”

I want to bring up The Shield, but I don’t know if tonight is the night to do it. I can’t stop thinking about Dean and Roman’s warnings. With tonight’s mood full of negativity, I know now isn’t the time to bring it up, but I’m just so curious.

We finish the movie. A mixture from the alcohol and tonight’s events have made me exhausted. I look over at Seth, who looks just as tired. His blinking is slowing down. “Are you ready for bed?” I ask him.

He slowly shakes his head. “Not yet,” He says.

I roll my eyes and turn the TV off. “You look so tired, Seth.”

He shakes his head again, “I do not.”

“Let’s go to bed. I know we’re both tired.” I turn the TV off and ask Seth to get the light. He pouts before hitting the switch of the bedside lamp. Once the room is pitch black, Seth crawls over to my side. Even though it’s dark, he navigates through the darkness perfectly. He’s over me, straddling me. I can feel the warmth of his body over me. He kisses the side of my face over and over. I can’t help but laugh. “Seth, it’s time for bed.”

“But I’m not tired,” Seth informs me. He kisses my lips this time. He follows his kiss with a slight tug on my bottom lip.

I allow my arms to loop around his neck. My fingers weave into his curly hair, and I feel myself give in. “Fine then,” I giggle before resuming our kiss. The tension we experienced earlier has now melted away, becoming just a memory.

I didn’t think Seth would be able to lift my spirits at all tonight, but he’s proving me wrong. I love his spontaneous and playful actions. We end the night on a good note, and I realize I really need to start having a little more faith in the man beside me.