Status: Active // weekly updates

Best for Business

Overwhelmed

Thursday morning let out all of last night’s previous frustrations. Alicia and I got breakfast and spent the early afternoon shopping. During our shopping spree, we let our frustrations out to each other. Aside from the much needed venting, Alicia’s retail therapy has transformed my closet and improved my mood.

But when the show rolls around, I’m somewhat dreading it. Seth and I are fine. He and I have been texting all day, but we haven’t talked about our argument the night before. While I prefer to talk things out, I don’t know if it’s worth it because of our conflicting views. I’m just hoping that, when I see him tonight, we don’t have any obvious tension between us.

I arrive to the venue before him. I change into my ringwear right away and go out to hang out with friends. Kofi is standing around with a bag of Laffy Taffy and tells everybody around him the jokes from the wrappers. I’m entertained until someone taps my shoulder. I turn around to see Roman Reigns stand before me. He asks if he can have a minute alone with me, and I agree.

I’ve talked to Roman once or twice, but it’s always been in passing. The brief conversations have always been civil. I have nothing bad to say about Roman. I’m somewhat surprised he’s asking to speak with me. “What’s up?” I ask as we walk away from the crowd.

“I just wanted to talk for a minute. I’m not trying to be rude, but I want to give you the best advice I can. I know you’re dating Seth. I mean, it’s common knowledge by now. I don’t know what he’s told you about his previous business relationships, and I don’t know if yours is different because he’s infatuated with you. But, I did want you to be aware that this honeymoon phase will not last if he sticks to his pattern. You’re such a nice girl, and I don’t want you to be blindsided.”

I’m shocked. Roman is telling me something very similar to what Dean said after Battleground. I just don’t know where his unprompted speech is coming from. I run my hand through my hair and try to gather the words to form a proper sentence. “That did sound a little rude. If this is about Seth, why aren’t you speaking to him about it?”

Roman sighs. “I’m worried about you, not Seth. I thought he and I were good, but we weren’t. I’m not the only one this has happened to, you know. There’s a reason people don’t want to work with him. I just hope you watch your back. If you no longer benefit his career, he may no longer be interested.”

“That’s a little harsh,” I finally say. I really don’t know what else to tell him. I’m a little worried hearing this come from Roman’s mouth, but Roman knows nothing of my situation. “Thanks for the warning, I guess,” I try to offer Roman a smile, but I don’t think I could get the corners of my mouth to tilt up.

“Just watch your back, please,” Roman repeats before walking off. I try to shake off the chills Roman left me with. I don’t know how to handle what Roman told me.

I’d like to go back to the group of laughing people in front of me, but it suddenly doesn’t seem right. I turn away and walk into the other direction. On my way back to the locker room, where I’d be guaranteed alone time, I run into Seth. My phone isn’t on me, so I had no idea when he got here. It may be his timing, but I really am surprised to see him.

“Hey, Seth. When did you get here?” I try to put on a happy front, but I don’t think it’s working.

Seth gives me a concerned look. “Ten minutes ago. Are you okay?”

I nod, “Of course. Are you?”

“Yeah. I’m sorry about our fight last night. It was uncalled for.”

I offer Seth a small smile. He probably thinks I’m out of it because of our fight, and, for now, I’ll let him. “It’s okay, babe. It’s history now.”

Seth and I walk up to the schedule to check our matches and verify the times. Seth has a match against Cena for the main event, and I have a match against Paige. I know Nikki will interfere my match tonight because the bosses mentioned it earlier in the week to me. Seth and I surprisingly don’t have to make an appearance at the start of the show, so we take that opportunity to have some down time with other Superstars.

Seth leads us to where Brie, Bryan, and a few other Superstars are sitting. We sit beside them. Everyone looks at us as we sit, but don’t say anything. I pay no attention to it. I lean against Seth and look through my Instagram feed.

The first match of the night starts. The Big Show tells his predictions of the match, and everybody joins in. I’m having a hard time staying involved in everybody’s conversation. I can even hear Seth chip in here and there, but I don’t know what he said. Brie even taps my shoulder a few times to bring me back into the conversation.

My mind keeps coming back to Dean and Roman’s warnings. I can’t think of anything else. I know I have to bring The Shield up to Seth, even though it’s a conversation I’d rather not have. After a few too many times of me not paying attention, Brie asks if she can have some alone time with me. We both get up, and I tell Seth I’ll be back momentarily. It’s the first sentence I’ve provided anyone since sitting down.

“What’s wrong with you tonight?” Brie asks. It’s obvious I’m not myself tonight. I never give my phone more attention than people, and I always can contribute to a conversation. Even on bad days, I usually wear a smile. I’m not surprised Brie took me out of the group setting to figure out what’s taking me out of character tonight.

I sigh. “Entirely too much.” Brie leads me to a private corner. We stand next to a large rack of folding chairs. I lean on the wall and look down at my peeling purple nail polish. “Seth and I got into a fight last night, which was small and petty and I don’t care. But, Roman came up to me today and basically told me to watch myself because he doesn’t know if Seth is genuine or not.”

“Wow,” Brie says. “Is that it?”

“Dean did the same the night of Battleground. I haven’t told Seth about Roman yet, because he makes such a huge deal out of everything. I’m just conflicted and not in the right place.” I pick at the polish on my thumb and look up at Brie. She gives me a sympathetic look.

“I’m so sorry, Shay. Did you hear at all about what’s been happening tonight?” I haven’t, and I relay that to her. “There’s been a lot of weird gossip going around. People are talking about you cheating to get to the top and shit like that. I didn’t want to mention it until later tonight. l didn’t want you to be upset.”

“So much for a drama free night,” I groan. Tonight has been extremely overwhelming, and my match hasn’t even started yet. “What the fuck do I do?”

Brie runs one hand down my hair and picks my chin up with the other. “You worry about it later. You have to. You’re going to leave tonight an undefeated champion. I’m putting a stop to those rumors whenever I hear them, and nobody believes them anyway. Everybody who knows you knows that you’re the sweetest person alive. As for the Seth thing, you have to talk to him. At least just ask him how The Shield broke up. You don’t have to say anything about Roman.”

“You’re right, Brie. I’d be nothing without you.” I pull my best friend into a long hug. I don’t have time to be upset. I have work to do. We join the group of people. I’m now much more aware of the eyes on me. I sit back down next to Seth and offer him a reassuring smile. He grabs my hand as I join the group conversation.

Around the time my match starts, Seth and I leave. “Did you hear? About everything?” Seth asks in a half-whisper.

Assuming he’s talking about the gossip, I answer. “Yeah, and we’ll deal with that tomorrow. Tonight, we’ll win our matches. And then, we’re going to get drunk in your hotel room. We’ll deal with all of this drama tomorrow.”

He gives me such an apologetic look. “I’m sorry this is happening, baby.”

“Gossip happens. Let’s please just focus on this match.” I do my best to get pumped for my match. My mind is back and forth between work and locker room talk. I don’t even know what is being said about me or who started it, and that’s the worst part. I can’t put an end to something I don’t know the source of.

When my music starts, I’m somehow able to put my negative thoughts past me and persevere. Seth and I walk to the ring together. I hand him my belt, and square off against Paige. We lock up, and I take the lead from there. Though I’m controlling the match, my moves are sloppy. Paige is able to counter multiple times. I can hear Seth yell for me to get my head in the game, but Paige takes over. She takes the upper hand.

The match is long, and the lead is back and forth. Paige lines me up for her submission maneuver, but I’m able to counter. I’m able to give her a dropkick and lineup for the spear. I know once I pull off my spear, the match is over.

As I wait for Paige to rise, I feel a hand wrap around my leg. The hand pulls hard, and I drop to the mat. The bell rings, signaling the end of the match. I look over to see a smug Nikki standing at the ropes. “Undefeated or lucky?” She mocks. She points to the Divas belt in Seth’s hands and yells that after Summerslam, the title will be back in her hands.

I want to react, but I don’t. I look over at Paige, who is visibly upset Nikki ended our match. I don’t think she was informed like I was. I exit the ring with Paige. Her, Seth, and I all walk back. I apologize to Paige about not being on top of my game, and she immediately reassures me. “Everybody has bad days. Don’t worry. But, can I talk to you for a minute?” I nod. I feel knots in my stomach. Every time someone requests some alone time with me, I hear things I’d rather not hear.

Once we’re a few feet away from Seth, Paige lets loose. “You're never like this, Shay. What’s going on?”

“I’m just having a stressful night,” I say, shaking my head.

“Is it the Dolph thing?” She asks.

“What did Dolph do?” I know she’s aware of Dolph’s irrational behavior with me lately. She was there to experience his jealousy. I also told her of Dolph personally asking for a match against Seth. I don’t know if she’s referring to this or a new situation.

Paige puts her hands on her hips and shakes her head. “He’s been the one saying stuff about you this past week. Nikki, too, but hers is just ‘she’s not that pretty’ bullshit. Dolph has been telling everyone that you faked your way to the top.”

Now I know who the source is. “Yeah, thanks for letting me know.”

“He’s really credible, Shay. Everybody loves him. I don’t believe it because I know you, but people already are talking about it. Seth isn’t exactly the most relatable guy. He’s hard to talk to.”

“I get what you’re saying. Thanks, Paige. I’ll try to take care of it.” I offer her a weak smile. When I’m upset, words are difficult for me. I want to take in my new information and react later. I don’t want to make a mistake by saying or doing the wrong thing.

I start to leave, but she grabs my hand. “Just know I’m trying to stop it, too. You don’t deserve this. It’s not you against the world tonight, even if it feels like it.” I thank Paige one more time, and she lets me go. I walk back over to Seth.

“What was that about?” He asks, but I’m sure he already knows.

I rest my sweaty head on his chest. “She just wanted me to know she’s there for me.” He’s still holding my belt. His free hand wraps around mine. I know he’s trying to reassure me, and it helps a little. After a few moments, I look up at him. “Let’s just get ready for your match.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I know, there's a lot going on in this chapter.