Slow Dancing in the Darkness

22: No, We Won’t

“Are you sure that you don’t mind coming with me?” Gabriela murmured as she peeked over at her husband, her teeth gently nibbling on her lower lip. It had been a couple of days, Gabriela had barely had time to get used to the idea that she was married to her boyfriend of 6 weeks before Noah’s fifth birthday had rolled around, but still she wanted to offer Lionel the chance to back out. The last thing she wanted was her son’s birthday remembered for a fight between Lionel and Elliot’s family, something which was bound to occur when her former husband found out about her decision to marry the argentine. She knew that she would have to tell him, Elliot was going to find out one way or another and it would have been better coming from her than from somewhere else, but she didn’t want to ruin a day that should have been all about their son. Noah deserved one day where his mother and father could at least pretend to get along for his sake.

Lionel, who had driven them up to Elliot’s parents’ home, smiled. “I want to come with you” he mused gently “I’ve bought Noah a present and would love to see his little face when I give it to him. Besides, he’s my stepson after all, I’d like to spend the day with him” he enthused gently. He was still giddy, the idea that he was married to Gabriela thrilled him, but he knew that he had to be careful. Like Gabriela, he wanted the day to be about Noah, not about Lionel and Noah’s parents.

Gabriela shook her head. “I need you to keep that to yourself today, Leo” she murmured softly “I’ll tell Eli, but not today. Not on Noah’s day” she added, offering him a soft look.

Lionel nodded. “I don’t want to ruin the day for him, Gabby” he assured her gently “But I would like to be there when you tell Eli about us. I don’t exactly trust him” he added, offering her hand a slightly squeeze. He knew she’d never said it, other than what had happened with Elena, Lionel had little idea of what Gabriela’s marriage with Elliot had been like, but he didn’t want to chance it. He didn’t trust Elliot and didn’t want to run the risk of him lashing out at Gabriela when he found out that she was married.

Gabriela nodded her head. “I’d like it if you were” she mused gently.

“Good” he smiled before he leant over, pressing a kiss to her lips.

Gabriela smiled into the kiss before she willed herself away, offering him a small bashful smile. “We should get inside” she murmured gently “Today’s going to be awful as it is, the last thing I need is Rodrigo complaining about me being late” she added.

Lionel smiled back at her and climbed out of the car, quickly opening the passenger side door for her. “For Noah” he mused as he took her hand, gently squeezing it.

“For Noah” she replied gently before they made the small walk up the path, knocking on the door.

“Gabby” Elise greeted softly “Noah’s been asking for you all morning” she added before she allowed her eyes to wander over to Lionel, offering him a soft look. She could tell that her former daughter-in-law liked the argentine, the look she wore on her face was similar to the one she had worn when she’d first gotten with Elliot, but she doubted that his presence was going to be greeted with open arms. Elliot, as well as Rodrigo, had already made it clear that they disliked the notion of Gabriela having a new boyfriend and Elise doubted that his being there was going to sit well with her husband or son.

“I can’t wait to see him” Gabriela smiled before she followed Elise’s stare, her hand gently squeezing Lionel’s. “I never introduced you properly” she mused “Elise, this is Lionel, my boyfriend. Leo, this is Elise, Elliot’s mother” she mused.

“It’s nice to meet you, Lionel” Elise smiled.

“I’m going to go and find Noah” Gabriela excused herself gently “Will you be OK?” she added, looking at Lionel.

“Go and see him” Lionel enthused.

Gabriela flashed him a wide grin before she stepped away, moving to find her son. Elise watched her go before she turned back to Lionel. “I know today’s not going to be easy for you, Lionel” she murmured softly “Elliot and my husband are going to make this hard on you, but please, don’t hurt her. I hate my son for what he did to that wonderful girl and what he continues to do to her, but she deserves something good and from the way she looks at you, I think she thinks it’s you” she insisted softly.

Lionel smiled. “You have my word, Elise, I am going to do the best I can for her and Noah” he promised her softly.

Elise flashed him a small smile. Gabriela deserved something good and she could only hope that it was Lionel.

~#~
“How’s it going in here?” Lionel commented as he stepped into the kitchen, greeting Gabriela with a fond smile. It had been a little tense, Lionel hadn’t missed the glares and the snide comments that Rodrigo and Elliot had sent his way, but he had learnt to ignore them. The day was about Noah and from the way the little boy was smiling, Lionel could tell he was having a good time.

“His cake’s almost done” Gabriela smiled “It’ll need to cool for a while, but we should be able to get out of here in the next hour or so” she added.

“We don’t have to rush” Lionel mused as he stepped towards her, his arms wrapping around her waist gently “Noah’s loving all of the attention and I’d hate to take him away from it” he added, kissing her lips softly.

Gabriela smiled into the kiss and wrapped her arms around his neck, only pulling away when Elliot cleared his throat. Blinking, she offered Lionel a small smile before she peeked at Elliot. “What can I do for you, Eli?” she murmured.

“I want to talk about something. Do you think he could give us a moment?” he added with a look towards Lionel.

“Anything you have to say to me, you can say in front of him” Gabriela replied.

“Gabby…”

“Get on with it” Lionel muttered.

Elliot heaved out a sigh. “I’ve put in a request to leave Barcelona” he murmured “I know you and Noah are just getting settled, but I don’t think…”

“You don’t want her to stay with me” Lionel corrected.

Elliot shook his head. “I really don’t see what this has to do with you. You’re nothing but a fling. You’re not the first and you won’t be last” he spat.

Lionel scoffed, something which made Gabriela grip his hand, wordlessly warning him about saying anything.

Elliot spared the pair a bitter look. “She’ll get over you. We both know she still wants me” he added.

Lionel laughed. “You really are deluded, aren’t you?” he muttered “You fucked up, Eli, and she’s never, ever going to forgive you for that” he added.

“You don’t know a thing about us” Elliot fought back.

“Leo” Gabriela warned as Lionel opened his mouth to fire something back “Don’t rise to it” she added.

Lionel took a little breath and nodded. “You’re right” he murmured.

“Get your things in order, Ela” Elliot muttered “We’ll be out of Barcelona before the end of the month” he added.

“No, we won’t” Gabriela murmured.

“You know the deal…”

“I’m married” Gabriela interrupted, her eyes shyly peeking at Elliot who stood ahead of her, for the first time in a while, speechless.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to KELeslie, Luuu_19, Jayme112234 and FootieJo for the comments :)