Status: 4 of 4

Shots

Calm Before the Appointment

“MOMMMEEEEEEYY!!” my daughter screamed.

I froze on top of him. In approximately 30 seconds my daughter will be rushing in our room no matter what state of being we are in. I leaned in and kissed Patrick once more before straightening myself out. I was sitting on his tummy when my daughter walked in.

“Mommy I can’t find my fairy princess dress,” she whined.

She doesn’t even notice I’m sitting on top of her father – who was fake sleeping again – she just went in and stood beside the bed just like this morning, looking up at me.

“Honey, we don’t need the princess dress today.” I reasoned.

“But I need it Mommy.” She pressed.

“Cassie, please,” I said exasperated. Closing my eyes, I breathed in and out as slow as I could.

She has been bugging me about the princess dress day and night, ever since Patrick sent it 2 weeks ago. It was a cute dress, but when you see things that are cute every day, you get tired of it until it becomes annoying.

She was still pouting when I open my eyes.

“It’s in the wash, okay?” I said a little stronger than expected.

I was suddenly being pushed off from my seat. Then the duvet was thrown on me.

“Hey!” I said as I righted myself, pushing the duvet off.

Patrick was already up – fake sleeping forgotten. He was cradling my sobbing daughter.

“Hush princess, Daddy’s got ‘ya,” he whispered.

“Oh my, I’m sorry, baby,” I moved closer to them. “I’m really sorry.” I hovered, kissing the top of her head while Patrick continuously rocks her back and forth.

“’Ya mean it,” she mumbled between sniffs.

“Of course I mean it.” I smiled at her. “You’re my one and only baby girl. Mommy can’t ever be mad at you.”

After a couple more minutes of cuddling up Cassie, she freely – and willingly – went back to her room to look for another outfit other than the fairy princess while I dug into our dresser for my own. A light shirt, and jeans should do it. When I turn back around, Patrick is sleeping again.

“Patrick Martin Stump get your ass up, right now!” I slapped his leg.

“Gabby!” he kicked my hand.

“I’m serious Patrick, get up now!” I slapped him again.

He groaned, frustrated but sat up. “But I just came back. We made a deal.”

“I know we did,” I conceded, “but its shots day.”

“Oh God.”

“Yeah,” I picked up my clothes again, heading out of the room. “So, get up, get some breakfast, and go to your son.”

Cassie was more amendable when I went into her room. She picked out the same outfit as I did. She had the shirt with the pink sparkly crown on it, a pair of floral shorts even sandals to match. We laid out everything on her bed then went out to the bathroom beside her room. I filled the tub while she picked out the bath bomb of her choice. She picked the violet, blue and green ones. At first I didn’t think it’ll work but when she tossed it in, we were both amazed at the end product. We enjoyed our bath together. I let her scrub my back with her duck shaped sponge.

“Mommy, why does Daddy sleep all day?” she asked.

I’m currently washing her hair and shaping it to a shark fin.

“You know it’s just for now right?”

“Yes, but doesn’t he sleep on the bus too?” she asked again.

“Well, yes,” I said. I turned her around so I could search her face, curiosity sparkled in her eyes.

“Remember when I took you to the show last summer?” I asked and she nodded. “Remember how small Daddy’s bunk is compared to our bed?” she nodded her head again and I smiled. “That’s why Daddy sleeps all day when he’s here. Our bed is bigger and more comfortable than the bunk.”

She seemed to accept it because her next question was about the zoo we went to on the day off after the show that we visited.

When were done soaking and playing in the tub, I picked her up and went in the shower, letting all the suds flow down into the drain. Our matching robes was hanging out the shower stall. I got her in hers and me in mine. We padded into her room and got dressed.

Shortly after, we joined Patrick and Martin in the kitchen. Martin was chewing on his hand while Patrick glares at the newspaper. I don’t think he notices the drool inconspicuously dripping on his arm – courtesy of my baby boy.

“Marty!” said Cassie.

In which my baby responded with a squeal of delight.

I picked up some paper towels by the sink and gave some to Patrick.

“You ready?” he asked. He meticulously wiped the drool off Martin with Cassie watching.

“More or less,” I shrugged. I leaned over them arms out for my baby boy. Patrick handed him over leaving a spot in his lap for Cassie to take over.

“I need to get my baby squeaky clean,” I said, kissing the top of Martin’s head.

“Mommy, can I watch?”

“I thought you wanted to play with Daddy.”

She looked at Patrick and then to me, contemplating.

“It’s okay, we’ll play later Princess” Patrick said, “I need to take a shower too.” He kissed the top of Cassie’s head then let her go.

Cassie ran past me up to the bathroom upstairs. She’s readying Martin’s tub already. While Patrick and I followed in a much more at ease pace. We parted at the top of the stairs.

“Squeaky clean Mr. Stumph,” I ordered.

“Squeaky clean,” he agreed and kissed my forehead.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's part 2. So this will be a 3 part series. I'm halfway through the last one but, school is happening but I will try to write and post as soon as I'm given the opportunity.

Thank you for commenting Michaela and Ali!