Working at Hell Taco

A Little Chunk of Drive Through Life

“Window add on, do we have a 12 pack of cheese cake bites ready?!” The young lady taking orders exclaimed, to the drive through food line. Three pairs of eyes gave disgruntled glances in her direction. Well, they heard me. Ellie thought to her self. “No? Well, can I have some please.”

“I only have eight. I need cheese cake bites dropped, please! I also need salsa on line! Kenny!” Todd, the steamer shouted out. With four taco shells in hand he swiftly scooped meat in to each, and slid them down the line. The stuffer, Janet had a full table. Her hands frantically darted from lettuce, and cheese, to onions, and sour cream throwing them all on each item, in proper succession.

“What!?” A teenage boy walked from the back area, with soap suds on his hands.

“I need cheese cake bites, and salsa, like now!”

“Alright, alright jeeze. But I do have a car coming up.” His tone was a little snooty.

“The car is still in the middle of ordering.” Ellie informed.

“Yeah, so that means hurry,” Todd ushered Kenny towards the fryer. Kenny sighed, and walked lazily over to the mini fridge to get what he needed, and slowly prepared the utensils for the fryer. Man, that kid works good, but he really has no sense of urgency. Ellie thought, watching him from her position. Ellie turned her attention back to the POS system, (point of sales system: Register, computer screen, receipt printer). She pushed a button on her head set, and continued talking with the customer. “Would you like any thing else today?”

“Yes! Give me a minute.” The rude female customer barked. “Hello Jessica, tell me what you want... Just decide I'm in drive through right now.” Ellie waited for the customer to finish her order and phone conversation. She glanced up at the cameras, and noticed there where four cars behind the lady. Ugh I hate it when they do that.

“Order complete, two bags, and a box!” the male food person on the end pushed some bags in front of her computer.

“Thanks,” she grabbed them, and examined the bags looking up at the screen to double check. “Bobby which taco is deluxe, and which is regular? You wrapped them the same.”

“Ah shit. I don't know.” The middle aged man on the end of the line chuckled, as he continued to wrap the massive order for the dinning room.

“Well Figure it out please,” Ellie handed him the bag. “I don't have gloves on, I can't touch the food.”

“Damn it. Why can't they just find out when they unwrap it?” Bobbie growled halfheartedly, as he took the bag back, and marked the deluxe. “It's not gonna hurt them none. Just get the food out. look five minutes now on that order.”

“I got it. I got it. Just wrap your tacos!” Ellie retorted playfully, and rolled her eyes. Opening the window she threw a fist full of sauce, and napkins in the bag. “Alright sir,” she began with a pasted on smile. “We have your deluxe taco, regular taco, and fajita box deal. I also put lots of sauce, and napkins for you.” The man grabbed the box, and the bag with out looking at it's contents.

“Can I have a lot more sauce?”

“There's a lot in your bag, but if you want some more give me one second.” If you would even take the time to check in the bag, you'd see a bunch. Do you know I'm only allowed to give out two sauces per item? I wanted to be nice. I gave you a lot, but you don't care, and you don't even check. She grabbed the last remaining sauces from the tray. Great, now I have to go in the back, and restock in the middle of a rush. Everyone wants to take a whole freaking box of sauce today. Then I get yelled at for food cost.

“Alright, I want two family meals, with extra shredded beef, and easy lettuce. I would like six of those to be with cheese on the side...” The customer who was on her phone started to order again.

“Here are your sauces sir, we are waiting on your cheese cake bites. They are being fried fresh right now.”

“Really? You don't have any made already?” The man furrowed his eyebrows.

“Hello? Hello? Are you, like even listening to me? I said I wanted-” the woman raised her voice in to the microphone, she sounded like a teenager.

“One moment please sir,” Ellie closed the window, and slid back over to the POS, the last glimpse of the mans face wasn't pleasant. “Yes, that was two family meals with extra shredded beef, and easy lettuce. And you want six more tacos with cheese on the side?”

“No! You're wrong,” the customer snapped aggravated. She began talking in a louder, and almost insultingly slow voice. “I said, I want two family meals, with extra shredded beef, and easy lettuce.”

Isn't that what I just said?

“And I want six of those ones, already in the family meal, to be with the cheese on the side.”

Was it really necessary to repeat everything like that? I only missed the last part.

“Ok no problem,” Ellie did her best to sound cheerful. “Will that complete your order today?”

“Yes.”

“Does it look correct on the screen out there?”

“No, I don't want a drink.”

“I'm sorry, I said: Does the order look correct on the screen?” Ellie said more clearly, and slightly raised her volume.

“No, no drink. Ok?” the lady was very annoyed.

“Your total is 24.99 please pull forward to the first window.” Ellie clicked her mic off dully, and sighed heavily. People.

“Cheese cake bites are on cool down.” Kenny announced, as he moseyed over to collect cash in back window.

Glancing to her right she saw a woman, and a man standing close to the front counter, and no dinning room employee in sight. The next car in line pulled forwards, and the head set beeped for her to answer. “Hello my names Ellie. How are you tonight?”

“Mommy I want the milk shake!” A young voice wailed through the mic. “Momma, momma, hey I want- Hey momma!”

“Shhhh! Be quite I'm trying to order.” A lady tried to quiet the child.

“But-”

“I'm sorry miss, what was that you said?”

“My names Ellie, just let me know when you're ready to order.”

“Thank you, it will be a moment.”

“No problem,” Ellie glanced over at the front register, and still no employee to be seen. “Front cash! Customers up front,” She yelled out so the whole back area could hear.

“I think Peggy is taking out trashes right now,” Bobby informed.

“Great,” Ellie sighed.

“Mommy listen to meeeee!” The child's voice rang through the head set, and sounded on the verge of tears.

“What!?” The mom seemed like she was trying to contain her frustration. “Mommy is trying to order food, tell me what you want. Then you have to be quiet while I talk to the lady.”

“Mommy I want, I want the... I want a milk shake, and I want the chicken nuggets!”

“Baby, this place doesn't have nuggets. What else do you want.” The mom sighed. Ellie tuned out the conversation, as she made her way to the front counter. She smiled pleasantly, at the disgruntled customers.

“Hello sorry about the wait. I'll help you today.”

“So, what comes on that there, nachos del grande?” The man said not making eye contact, but looking up at the menu board.

“It comes with nacho cheese, green sauce, and beans.”

“That's all?” the man said flatly eyes rolling down to meet hers.

“Well, we can add anything extra you would like, sir.”

“Yeah, but then ya gotta charge me don't ya.” He leaned in slightly, as if accusing Ellie.

“Um, yes. But, depending on what you want-”

“Forget it.” The man waved her words away before she could finish, and crossed his arms. “I'll have a taco, and a drink.”

“What size drink would you like?” Ellie questioned, and the man seemed spaced out, or like he didn't hear. “Sir?” She questioned cautiously.

“What?” he barked.

“I-um... What size drink would you like today?”

“Medium. Thanks.”

“Have a great day sir, let me know if you need anything.” Ellie handed him his change, and receipt. “I'll be with you in one moment miss.” The woman behind the man nodded, and smiled. Ellie returned to the window to see the cheesecake bites sitting there, waiting to be handed out. Damn it, who didn't tell me these where here? Couldn't they have taken 10 seconds to hand them out? She looked out the window to see the disgruntled customer glaring back at her. Oh great. Just then a little boy began crying loudly in to the microphone.

“If you don't stop right now mister I'm going to tell you're father when we get home!” his loud sobs continued. “That's it. I've had enough of you, you get no food from here. You can have a peanut butter sandwich when we get home, and like it.” The moms voice was sharp as a blade. Ellie couldn't help but feel bad for the child, as she approached the window.

“I'm sorry about that wait sir. Your cheesecake bites are fresh, and hot, so be careful while eating them.”

“I saw them sitting there for 5 minutes, I'm sure they are cold,” the man growled smartly as he snatched the bag from her hand. It doesn't even take five minutes to fry them, man can people exaggerate.

“I'm very sorry about that sir. If you want, I could give you an extra drink for the trouble.”

“Yeah,” he answered. “Give me an Orange soda.”

“I'm sorry we don't have Orange Soda. But we do have Orange Punch.”

“Forget it. I'm going to be calling in miss,” he searched her shirt for a name. “Miss Ellie. Worst customer service, ever.”

“I'm sorry sir.”

“Yeah, you sure are.” He then sped away.

Ellie closed the window. Is it my fault you wanted a whole twelve pack of cheese cake bites, after your first order was already done?

“Alright, here is the first part of the next order, we are still waiting on two more bags.” Bobby set down some food in front of her again. “You ok kid?”

“Yeah, just grumpy customers.”

“Customers can be dicks some times. I feel you. And damn are they fat, look at this shit,” bobby talked as he wrapped, and bagged everything. Glancing at the screen Ellie saw it filled with orders. And there's only enough people for one line tonight, since two people called in, and we are training a new girl.“I haven't left line for four hours. This rush is never ending, and I'm thirsty as fuck!”

“You're thirsty!” Todd laughed. “Why don't you come stand over here, by the grill for a few hours.”

“No thank you,” bobby laughed quickly.

“That's what I thought. I'm sweating balls over here.” Todd exclaimed vibrantly. Ellie smiled at their banter.

“Can I please just have the combo number 3, and the combo 5, both with large colas, no ice?” the mom asked politely through the head set. That's sure not the mom I heard a few seconds ago.

“No problem. Does the order look correct on the screen?”

“It sure does honey.”

“You're total will be 10.20 at the first drive through window, please pull forwards.” Ellie quickly serviced the customer up front. "Alright it's going to be 9.68 today." The lady grabbed her drink cup, and placed a small baggie of change on the counter, before walking away. Ellie did her best to smile as she frantically tried to count the quarters nickles, and dimes. I can't just assume there's enough money here, what if there's too much also? Dang it I think I counted those quarters twice now I have to start over.

Peggy finally returned from taking out the trashes. By the way Peggy smelled Ellie suspected, taking out the trash, was more, like a secret smoke break. Whatever, but it's not like she's the only one who wants one. Ellie gripped the lighter in her pocket. She quickly serviced the next three customers in drive with out a hitch, and Peggy even offered to restock for her. I love small quick orders, and nice customers. The drive through was backed up due to the first cars large order. The last car was a large truck who had no room to pull forwards. It's enormous, old engine, puttered, and growled ferociously through the head set in a constant loudness.

“Oh god that's horrible,” Ellie slid the head set slightly off her ear. She could still hear it, but not as bad.

“You're telling me?! I can't take this head set off, unless I want to change my gloves!” Todd announced.

“I got it,” Ellie walked over pulling it off his ears, and resting it around his neck.

“Thanks Ellie.”

“No problem.”

The night seemed to drag on forever that way. The usual routine, same problems different faces. The line ran out of beans, the manager took an extra ten minutes on break. Someone spilled a soda, and Janet accidentally squirted Todd with sour cream. There where no more large bags, and the customers didn't like having five medium ones. Apparently that was Ellie's fault, according to the customers. Two cars drove past Kenny in back window, and Ellie didn't have a drawer. This gave Kenny some exercise running back, and forth between windows. Finally, the rush was over. Everyone got drinks, restocked, and started cleaning up. Best of all, only one more hour for Ellie's shift.

“Now watch me nay nay. Now watch me nay nay,” Janet was dancing on line, and singing out loud as she poured more lettuce in to the pan. “Watch me whip. Now watch me nay nay.”

“What are you doing child?” Bobby looked at her bemused. He was a bit too country, and a little too old to know what she was doing.

“You never heard that song on the radio?”

“I don't know what kind of radio you listen to,” he chuckled. “But it's interesting,” he tried to copy her moves very rigidly.

“Now watch me nay nay,” Janet started, and he followed her lead. Ellie mindlessly wiped down her area, while watching the show.

“What are you guys even doing?” Todd came back from the fridge with sauce bottles. The dancing stopped. “Hey watch this.” Taking the sour cream gun he tossed the refill in the air. Flipping twice it landed perfectly in place, inside the gun. “Pretty cool huh? I can't do more than three flips though.”

“That is cool,” Ellie leaned over to restock hot sauce.

“Psh, but can you flip a quesodilla perfectly, and have it land closed?” Janet interjected.

“Pft, can you Janet?” Todd laughed. “I heard last time you flipped it, the thing got stuck to the ceiling!”

“That was once! And Crystal came up, and scared me out of no where!”

“Isn't that the mark up there,” he pointed up at the ceiling.

“Oh, shut up!” She stuck her tongue out at him.

“Shots fired,” Bobby whispered dramatically.

“You mad baby?” Todd bumped Janet with his butt.

“You're lucky I love you.”

“Am I lucky? Sometimes I wonder?” he joked. “Ok, I'm lucky! I'm lucky!” Janet held the sour cream gun facing him. She set it down with a smile. “I'm starting to wonder if earlier was an accident after all.”

“The world will never know,” she whispered dramatically. Bobby began to sweep, and everyone else got on cleaning tasks while it was slow.

“It's that time of night guys! The dinning room is closed,” The manager Cici stepped out of the office with a tiny boom box.

“Yeah that's what I really need!” Janet bounced slightly.

“Who wants to hear some Nsync!” Cici eagerly plugged in her phone. The guys grumbled in protest, Ellie and Janet shrugged. Cic set the music and went back to her other duties.

“Dang, why do we gotta listen to Nsync every time she runs a shift?” Todd asked.

“It's only a couple songs, you know she plays other stuff,” Ellie defended.

“Yeah, I guess so,” he sighed and began cleaning the grill.

“Oh come on. Don't act like you never sang this song to me! You're love is like a river, peaceful and deep. Your soul is like a secret-” Janet began.

That I never could keep,” Ellie entered in to the song with Janet.

When I look in to your eyes I know that it's true. God must have spent a little more time, on you.

“On you Janet!” Ellie pointed.

“On you too Ellie!”

“Oh god, save me from this torture! Right Bobby?” Todd looked over.

God must have spent a little more time, on you,” Bobby was whispering.

“What the hell!?”

“Hey, you don't know how many times this song has gotten me laid,” Bobby defended.

“You don't gotta lie Bobby,” Ellie playfully tossed a sauce pack at Bobbies arm. “We know you're an Nsync-er.” Janet raised her eyebrows at Ellie. “How about a sync-hard? Or a Timber-liker? I don't know. I'm trying to be cleaver like the Belibers or the Twihards.”

“Ellie, Ellie, Ellie.” Janet sighed, and shook her head. “We love you anyways.”

“Oh hush,” Ellie blushed, and grabbed dishes to take to Kenny.

The night sped to its conclusion with a few more cars, and a lot more jokes. Ellie tiredly arrive home at 12:15 am. Her boyfriend slept soundly as she undressed, and slipped under the covers. Slowly her boyfriend awoke with a yawn.

“How was work baby?” he stretched, but didn't sit up.

“Same stuff different day.”

“I'm sorry baby,” he kissed her gently, and wrapped her in his arm. “Did you look at your desk?”

“Why?” Ellie rolled over to see her computer desk. Moving the mouse her computer screen flashed on. In the bright glow she saw a bouquet of roses arranged in a vase for her. “Awwww,” She kissed her boyfriend multiple times. “You're the best ever.”

“That's not all,” he smiled. “Look on the night stand”

“Beef jerky too! You know me so well,” her heart fluttered, and she snuggled in to him. “You know, you really are the reason I get through some of my days.”

“I just want you to be happy. I know what that place is like. I love you.”

“I love you too boo.”

“I'm going back to sleep. I have to wake up in three hours.”

“Ok I'll make breakfast for you before I go to sleep. It will be on the counter.” She kissed his forehead.

“Thanks. You don't have to.”

“I want to.”

“You're the best.” he smiled and turned over

“Love you too,” with that she made him breakfast before she went to bed. I'm so grateful. Was her last thought as she fell in to slumber, only to do it all again the next day.
♠ ♠ ♠
It felt really hard to compact everything, and keep it from not sounding confusing. I could easily split one day in to five colorfully descriptive chapters, but short, and sweet is what will do.