Kendall

Losing grip

The weekend breezes by & its Monday already; at school it seems as though Logan and Smiley Mandy really hit it off since the Carnival—cause they can’t restrain themselves from making kissy faces at each other all morning.

Me: *I turn to Ariana* By the way, I never got to ask you who you went to the Carnival with?

Ariana: *looks at me & blinks innocently*

Logan: Did ya forget already?

Ari: Uhhh, no. And it doesn’t really matter *waves her hand carelessly*

Mandy: It was Drew, silly!

L: *grins at her & they begin to make out again*

Me: *I look at her surprised & pull her over to the side, away from Logan and Mandy* And when were you going to tell me this?

Ari: *bites her lip nervously* You never asked?

Me: Well now I’m asking?!

Ari: Just don’t be mad please

Me: *I let out a big breath* I’m not. I’m just…surprised. How did you two…?

Ari: Well, okay, here’s the story, my date I brought was awful and then I ran into Drew—literally—I knocked over his nachos! I apologized like 50 gazillion times and then he said I was cute and then we ended up hanging out for the rest of the night…and yeah. It just…kinda happened

Me: So your night was kinda like mine that night in a way?

Ari: *shrugs* You could say that. Sorry I didn’t tell you

Me: No really, its fine, Ar *I lower my voice* I have Tom now, remember?

Ari: OH THAT’S RIGHT *winks at me*

The bell rings for first period.

Ari: Tell me more about your date later, okay?

Me: I will!

Ari: *she gives me a thumbs-up then scoots off to her class*

Me: *I take a couple of steps & Logan speaks to me*

L: Hey man, wait up! I’ll walk you and Mandy both to class

Me: Oh nooo, that’s fine, I was just—going to the bathroom. You two can go

L: Okay?? See you later bro??

Me: BYE! *as soon as I enter the bathroom I sit in the smelly stall & take my phone out to give Tommy a good morning text*

After my last period Drew & I meet up by his locker.

Drew: Hey so how’d your date with Alison go?

Me: Uh, greeeat. She wasn’t a nightmare at all whatsoever *I try my best not to sound sarcastic, but it’s almost impossible*

Drew: Dude, she doesn’t even come close to a nightmare. She’s hot

Me: Smokin’ *I say stupidly* But literally all she wanted to do was make out…

Drew: *gives me a wide eyed look* Now THAT just sounds AWFUL *chuckles & rummages through his locker*

Me: *I smirk & fold my arms*

Just then, Alex (my bully) slams me sideways—hard— into the lockers next to Drew’s; Angela watches us in fear. This isn’t his usual time to come & harass me, which I find strange, but disturbing at the same time. I grab my arm that got slammed into the lockers & wince in pain. Drew turns around baffled by the whole scene.

Alex: FAG

Drew: Whoa, whoa there bro *slams his locker shut & faces Alex* Lay off him

Alex: *cracks his jaw* You’re not serious right now, are you?

Drew: *drops his book & pokes Alex’s chest* You got a problem with me being all serious; tough guy?

Alex: *scoffs & lets out a little chuckle* No, not at all. But you have fun with your little faggot *pats Drew’s shoulder & starts to walk away but Drew grabs his shoulder to turn him back around & punches him right in the face*

Me: *I try to pull Drew away but it’s no use* DREW. DON’T TRY—

They draw a crowd of students. Ariana & Logan happen to be in the crowd & spot me & push through everyone to get to me.

Arianna: *yells* What the hell’s going on!?

Me: *I take a deep breath & say quietly into her ear* Apparently, I’m a fag

Logan: *tilts his head sideways & gives Alex an irritated look* Is that Drew Roy fighting him?

Me: *I cover my face with my hands* Maybe

Ari: Oh my god *covers her mouth with her hands*

A teacher finally approaches the fight & pulls them apart, while warning them with a suspension if they continue. Alex stomps off with Angela wrapped around his arm.
Drew walks over to us with his now bloody nose.

Me: Drew. Oh god you’re bleeding *I reach towards his face*

Drew: *raises his hand* I’m alright. Are you okay?

Me: Yeah, I’m fine. I’m worried ‘bout you though…

Drew: Eh, I’ll live *looks to my right & sees Ariana* Oh hey *holds his bloody nose*

Ari: *blushes* Hey

L: Dude you just sort of kicked Alex Frost’s butt

Drew: No, actually I just sort of got my ass kicked by the big jerk

L: Oh. Sorry bro *pats Drew’s arm sympathetically*

Drew: *shrugs* You win some you lose some. I hate fighting though

Ari: *holds out her scarf* Here, use this for the bleeding

Drew: Thanks, but that’s too pretty for me to ruin *gives her a weak smile*

Ari: Oh, okay *grins at him*

Drew: *turns to me* Hey, I gotta get goin; I got soccer practice. See you later though bro, kay? *pats my arm then jogs down the hall & dissapears around the corner*

Me: *I feel I’m in some sort of dream state*

Ari: I can’t believe he stood up for you like that *smiles*

L: Yeah man, crazy

Me: I can’t believe that I haven’t stood up to that asshole yet. Am I a wimp for letting Drew defend me?

Ari: No sweetie, not at all

L: He was just protecting you. You’re friends, right?

Me: Well now I think we really are *I grab my arm & Ari rubs it for me*

Later at home, Kevin decides to cook dinner. I walk into the kitchen sniffing the air. And it doesn’t smell terrible.

Me: What’s all this?

Kev: *stirs whatever’s in the pot of boiling water* Oh just tryin something a little new *raises his eyebrow at me & gives me a little wink*

I nod my head slowly; knowing that comment was directed at me. Ever since he caught Tommy and me ‘in the act,’ he’s been giving me smirks & snarky remarks for the past couple of days.

Me: Anyways. Serious question here; have you ever wanted to kick a guys ass so hard, but you don’t have the guts to?

Kev: Well duh. Who hasn’t?

Me: Sooo…have you done it?

Kev: PSHHHYA! *leans closer to me & talks in a whisper tone* Junior year, after school, in an ally

Me: An ally, really?

Kev: *shakes his head* Location doesn’t matter

Me: *I give him an annoyed look* Yeah sure. Continue

Kev: *whisper tone again* Long story short, I kicked the guy’s ass and NEVER got caught *raises his eyebrows*

Me: *I nod my head at him* Interesting story. Not sure if its fiction or nonfiction but at least I have something now to hold against you when the time comes

Kev: Duuuude, you better not tell anybody

Me: Then you better not tell anyone…about me and you know who

Kev: *grins all excitedly* About your little boyfriend?

Me: SHHHHHHHHUSH. But ANYWAYS, back to the ass kicking subject. Can you somehow teach me how to at least defend myself?

Kev: You’re serious about this?

Me: Do I ever ask you for advice?

Kev: *says quickly* True. And why suddenly do you need help kicking ass?

Me: There’s this asshole at my school who’s been harassing me for what seems like an eternity—and I wanna just defend myself for once

Kev: Hmm…I’ll think about it lil bro

Me: *I sniff the pasta that’s boiling in the pot* Sooo…is that a YES?

Kev: A maybe

Me: A MAYBE? Come on Kev, you dropped out of college, what else is there for you to do—besides looking for a job—and this new cooking ‘hobby’ of yours?

Kev: ALRIGHT, fine. JEEEEEZE. I’ll do it. God you’re annoying

Me: THAAAANK YOUUU! *I hug him*

Kev: WHOAAA, hey, hey, easy! Watch the stove!

Me: *I give him a long dramatic stare* It’s like I don’t know who you are anymore

Kev: I could say the same for you lover-boy

Me: *I pinch his arm* SHUT IT

Kev: *laughs* Go tell Mom dinners ready. Or I’ll kick your ass

Me: You’re not funny *I sneer at him*

Kev: Come on Ken, I’m a little funny *stirs his pasta happily*

Me: *I roll my eyes at him, then walk out of the room to get our Mom*