Kendall

Guts

Monday morning: I meet up with Logan & Ariana outside of our school & we walk inside together.

Ari: Where’s your new girlfriend, Loge?

L: Eh, it’s over

Me: But she was so…smiley

L: So it wasn’t just ME who noticed that? Cause it really started to freak me out

Ari: Honey, everybody’s noticed it—since like the 5th grade

L: For real?

A: Yes! *laughs*

L: Where have I been? *shakes his head & nudges my arm* Hey man, why so glum?

Me: Huh? Oh no, I’m fine, just a little tired

L: Long weekend?

Me: You have no idea *I give Ari a little look*

Ari: *widens her eyes* KENDALL, can you walk me to class?

L: Leaving already?

Ari: Yeah sorry, I just gotta do this thing…but I need Ken—see you later BYE *pulls on my arm & we go around the hall corner & she takes me by the vending machine* Okay, tell me what happened *folds her arms & gives me a second look when I don’t speak* Did something happen with you and Tommy?

Me: No—well, yeah, actually *I smile a little*

Ari: *raises her eyebrows* Spill

Me: Well that doesn’t matter now. The real problem is…my Mom

Ari: Whaaat about her? Is she okay?

Me: I…don’t know

Ari: You’re scaring me…

Me: She’s fine, but it’s just—she caught Tommy and me kissing

Ari: Ooo… *covers her mouth quickly*

Me: MMM HM. And I’ll tell ya, she wasn’t thrilled one bit *I run my hand through my hair exa*

Ari: Well that’s awkward

Me: Yeah no shiz. And she’s hasn’t been able to look me in the eye since it happened *I take a deep breath*

Ari: I’m so sorry sweetie *fixes my collar on my shirt*

Me: Eh, it’ll all work out eventually. Maybe that’s just wishful thinking though

The bell rings for first period class.

Ari: *hugs me*

Me: Thanks *I smile weakly at her* Better get to class, chica

Ari: Will do, chico *giggles*

In first period I feel more distracted than ever. I look up at Drew & see that the swelling in his nose has settled down since we last interacted. He gave me a quick nod & I smile back at him. Luckily my crush on Drew has faded—most likely because I have a BOYFRIEND now, but there’s no rule that says I still can’t admire his attractiveness.

Later around last period, I feel really antsy so I take the hall pass from my classroom & pretend to need the bathroom while instead wonder around for a bit. I get a text from Tommy & he asks where I am now. I tell him the obvious, “I’m in school.” I shake my head confused but find it funny he asks anyways. He texts me back telling me to come towards the front lobby. I walk in that direction, and then see him standing there.

Me: Tommy?! *I playfully push his chest* What’re you doing here?! *I look around self consciously & lower my tone of voice*

Tom: *laughs* Thought I’d surprise ya *gives me one of his charming grins*

Me: *I give him a tight hug** Aren’t you supposed to be in school?

Tom: Aren’t you supposed to be in class?

Me: I asked you first *I poke his chest with my index finger*

Tom: My class got out early, so I thought I’d surprise ya *puts his hands around my waist*

Me: *I smile & lean into him, then frown & pull his hands off of my waist, slowly* Um…

Tom: What’s the matter?

Me: *I whisper* Nobody knows…

Tom: What?

Me: No one in my school knows about…you, me…the whole shebang

Tom: *gives me a small smile* Well then, they don’t have to. Your secret’s safe with me

Me: It’s already safe with you. But thanks *I smile at him* OH but I gotta get back to class!

Tom: Fiiiine. But first *look around then pulls me close & kisses me*

Me: *I grin* Okay, okay! I gotta go! Meet me by my locker after the bell!

Tom: Alright! *waves*

Me: I’ll text you my locker number!

Tom: *laughs* Alright mate!

After last period ends I walk out to my locker, & see Tommy already waiting for me. But at the same moment I realize I’ve made a big mistake telling him to meet me here— because, before I knew it I heard someone yelling at me from down the hall.
Alex: OH KENDAAAALL

Me: *I hide my face in my locker* Shit

Tom: What? *he smiles, not aware of the situation at all whatsoever* You know that bloke?

Me: *I mumble to Tommy* Tommy you should actually go, I don’t want—

Alex: *standing behind Tommy & me* Ooo and you’re not alone. Who’s your little friend?

Tom: *holds out his hand to shake Alex’s* Hello chap, I’m—

Me: Tom, don’t *I pull his hand down*

Alex: AW, are you two holdin hands, and being two fags in a pod?

Tom: *raises his eyebrows, surprised* And who’s this wanker *looks Alex up & down*

Me: Just ignore him, Tom *I close my locker & grab Tommy’s wrist to pull him away* C’mon

Tom: *glaring at Alex*

Alex: Better go with your other half of the “fag” pod

Tom: With pleasure

Alex: I’m sure you do

Tom: ALRIGHT

Tommy shakes me off & tries to punch Alex in the face but misses & then Alex punches him hard in the cheek; drawing a crowd from everyone in the hall.

Me: LEAVE HIM ALONE! *I grab his shoulders from behind*

Alex: Oh you wanna be next? *shrugs me off & pushes me against the lockers*

Me: *I close my eyes from the pain I’m feeling from the lockers*

Tom: Quit it, ya dill!

Alex: What’d you call me? *turns to Tommy, who’s on the floor*

Logan & Ariana come over to the scene.

Log: *yells at me*DUDE? You said you could handle this

Me: *I have no words & just wince in pain while looking over at Tommy helplessly*

Log: *looks over where I’m looking* TOMMY?

Ari: *shoves Alex* You stay away from them! *walks over to Tommy & crouches down by him on the floor* What’re you doing here?

Tom: *rubs his cheek with his hand* I’m guessing I came at a bad time?

Ari: *shakes her head* Let me help you up

L: *turns towards Alex* Dude what the hell’s your problem?!

Alex: WHAT?

L: *shoves Alex’s chest* That’s what

Alex: *shoves him back* I find it cute how cute you’re defending your faggy friends, Logey

L: Hey, careful what you’re saying, asshole!

Alex: Ooo, I’m so scared!

Me: *I bend down to touch Tommy’s cheek then I close my eyes & wince. I turn towards Alex & face him* I’d rather…I’d rather be a fag than have the whole school hate me, you jerk-off!

Alex: *widens his eyes & tries to come at me*

L: *holds Alex back* Stop this already!

A teacher in the hall finally sees the fight & decides to break up. Logan shoves Alex towards the teacher & they grab Alex’s arm & walk off with him, while lecturing him again about fighting. Our “audience” in the hall walks away & I give Tommy a weak grin. I walk over to them & give Tommy a long hug then gently touch his cheek where Alex hit him. I caress it without even thinking & then Ari nudges me.
Ari: Ken *nods in the direction of Logan*

I look over at Logan who’s standing behind me & he has this bewildered look on his face. Everything happened so fast I forgot that when I told everyone I was gay…Logan was there too.

Me: *I take a step closer to him* Loge…

L: So you are…gay?

Me: Logan, I should have—I was going to—

L: *raises his hands* I need to…go *walks away*

Me: Loge! Please… *I watch him disappear around the hall corner*