Love Me Until My Heart Stops

72: He’s Not Perfect

“What do you think about Lola?” Gerard mused from his spot on the couch, his eyes peeking at Esmé who sat on the floor ahead of him, her laptop perched on the knees. It had been a few weeks, after they’d found out about their having a daughter and Eloisa’s wedding, they’d been rushed off of their feet with Barcelona’s La Liga run in, but he was pleased to have the next week or so to themselves. It was the build-up to Christmas and Gerard wanted to take advantage of a few quiet days before their families descended on their home for the celebrations.

“I’ve never liked it as a name” Esmé noted, typing up a few notes “I went to school with Lola and she was a horrible person” she noted.

“You’ve said that about 90% of the names I have suggested” Gerard commented, placing the baby name book down beside him “Was every girl at your school a horrible person?” he noted as he sat on the ground beside her, slipping the laptop out of her reach. He knew that they had time, it was only the middle of December and their little girl wasn’t due until later February, but he wanted to feel a little more prepared. Things were busy for them, since he and Esmé had gotten married, things had yet to die down, and he wanted to shift their focus. The wedding was done with and their little girl needed to be at the front of their minds.

Esmé shrugged. “I wasn’t what you’d call popular” she mused as she looked up at him.

Gerard frowned. “You weren’t?” he posed.

“Ella was” Esmé mused “And being Ella Silva’s baby sister was not a bed of roses” she noted.

“Ella sounds like she was a handful” Gerard commented, resting his forehead against her temple, his lips lightly brushing her cheek.

Esmé smiled. “Sometimes, she was the epitome of a moody teenager. I remember that she and mama used to get in huge fights when we were younger, but I think it all goes back to the divorce. Ella was 6 and took it a lot harder than the rest of us. She was a proper little daddy’s girl” she mused, her hand gently holding onto his which sat on her bump, his thumb brushing over it gently.

“Have you given any thought to calling your papa?” Gerard posed. It was a topic he tended to steer clear of, Esmé didn’t like to talk about Roberto, but he wanted to encourage her. In a few months, Roberto would be a grandfather for a second time and Gerard didn’t want him to miss out on his granddaughter like he had done on his daughters and even Oliver to an extent.

Esmé sighed. “I have thought about it a couple of times” she admitted gently “I think I want to do it before she comes along” she mused, smiling down at her bump.

“I think that’s a good idea” Gerard agreed gently “I am sure he will be very happy about being an abuelo” he added.

Esmé shrugged “I want to talk to him, Geri, I do, but I don’t quite know what to say” she admitted gently, leaning into him gently. She had given it some thought, the idea of speaking to her father, but she always stopped herself. She didn’t know what to say to him, what to ask, and she didn’t just want to sit with him. Being around Roberto made her a little uncomfortable.

Gerard smiled. “What do you want to know?” he posed softly “You must be curious about how the last 26 years have been for him” he noted.

“Of course I am” Esmé mused “But I am also scared about knowing. What if he has another family somewhere?” she posed.

“It’s just something you’ll have to find out” Gerard smiled gently, his arm squeezing her a little.

Esmé shook her head. “I am still not sure” she murmured.

“Then don’t do it for you” Gerard noted, his thumb still tracing the outline of her bump “Do it for our little girl who I am sure would love to know her grandfather. I know you’re hesitant, Esmé, but whether you like it or not, Roberto is half of the reason that you’re here and I for one am at least a little thankful for that. I don’t pretend that I know what you’re going through, I am sure it is difficult to even contemplate getting to know the man who left you and your sisters behind, but he’s your papa and I’d like to think that if, in a few years’ time, we’d not worked out, then our little girl would want to know me. He’s not perfect, querida, we both know that, but he deserves a proper chance to explain himself to you” he mused softly.

Esmé nodded her head gently. “I will call him later” she mused.

“It’s a good step” Gerard assured her.

Esmé smiled. “You have an amazing knack for talking me into things” she teased gently.

“It’s called being your husband” Gerard shrugged “You sometimes need a little push and I am more than happy to be the guy that gives it to you. We both know you’re not one for taking chances” he noted as he moved to his feet, helping Esmé up alongside him.

“I took a chance on you” Esmé reasoned.

“Your best friend of 5 years? Was I really that much of a risk?” Gerard teased.

“You were a huge risk. I didn’t know what kind of boyfriend you were” Esmé smiled.

“Well, it turns out I was great” he mused.

Esmé smiled gently and placed a kiss on his lips. “What about Maia?” she mused as she pulled back slightly.

“Maia?” Gerard pressed.

“I’ve always liked the name” she noted gently “I picked it out when I was 15” she noted.

“You were thinking about babies at 15?” Gerard teased “Was it with the boy who stole cars?” he quipped.

Esmé rolled her eyes. “I genuinely regret telling you about that” she mumbled.

Gerard chuckled. “You really like Maia as a name?” he mused.

Esmé nodded her head gently. “I really love it” she admitted “Do you think we can incorporate it in somehow?” she posed, her brown eyes peeking up at him.

Gerard placed an arm around her shoulder and nodded. “You can pick her name, but I get dibs on picking godparents, deal?” he bargained.

Esmé grinned. “Deal” she agreed.
♠ ♠ ♠
a/n: I did post a chapter 72 yesterday, but I wasn't happy with it, so it has been rewritten :)

Thanks to petitmonstre and Jayme112234 for the comments :)