Status: This story will alternate between John and the OC.

This Fragile Game

Her

“Who are we going to see again?”

“The Maine!”

Asher was leaning against the kitchen counter with a spoonful of peanut butter in his mouth. I was dancing around the bathroom, trying to finish my makeup. My hair was pinned into a messy side bun on my head and I was applying eyeliner when Asher walked it. With a spoon hanging out of his mouth, he raised his eyebrows at me in a question.

I ignored him and finished the wing on my eyeliner. I grabbed my makeup bag and returned to the bedroom.

“Why are you getting so dressed up?” Asher asked as I slipped into a flower summer dress.
I looked up and down at his torn jeans and Metallica t-shirt and rolled my eyes. I slid my newly polished toes into my favorite sandals and grabbed my purse from the kitchen table. Ash put the spoon and jar of peanut butter on the counter and I stared at him, with one eyebrow raised, until he put the spoon in the dishwasher and the jar in the cabinet.

“You know, I though this was going to be a nice date night for us. We’re going to a club for dinner and a show and that’s what you’re wearing?”

“What?” Asher asked with a mouth full of peanut butter.

“Never mind. Let’s go, we’re late.”

It was a silent ride to the nightclub where The Maine was playing, mainly because I was angry with Asher, but I was also nervous to see the boys again. I know it was John that I ran into at the coffee shop. I panicked and almost threw up when I got back to my car. The only good thing to come of this was that John inspired a new collection that is being shown at the local gallery next week. I started to question why I was even going to this show. Luckily, Asher was driving so I didn’t have to fight the urge to turn the car around.

Walking into the club, my senses were on high alert. The lights seemed brighter, the sounds seemed louder, and the sent of alcohol burned my nose. I was hoping it would fade as the night went on. I wouldn’t be able to focus if it didn’t. I made my way to the bar with Asher behind me as the first band took the stage.

Ash watched the band and I watched him. He seemed to be enjoying the music, but I wasn’t paying them much attention. I was too focused on the fact that John O’Callaghan was somewhere in the same building as me. It had been years since I had seen him and I know I hurt him when I left. I wonder if the band members can see individual faces from the stage. I hope not. I can’t imagine facing John right now, after all I put him through.

I felt Ash’s hands wind around my waist. He turned me around, spilling my drink, and put his hands on my rear. He squeezed, hard, and pushed his lips on to mine. He tried to put his tongue in my mouth but I pushed him away. I wasn’t in any type of mood for this, let alone doing it in public. He pulled me closer again, leaning in for another kiss.

“Asher, not right now.”

“Come on, baby,” he crooned.

“No,” I said a little more forcefully than I meant to.

“What’s your deal?” he snapped, letting me go.

“Ash, we’re in public and I’m not in the mood. Please, stop. And you spilled my drink.”

“So what? I’ll buy you another one.”

I turned to walk toward the bar but his hand grabbed my wrist with unnatural force. He yanked me back and I turned to see Ash looking angrier than I had ever seen him. I tried to take my hand back but he wouldn’t let go. The crowd behind us screamed and I saw five familiar faces take the stage. Ash ignored them completely and his grip somehow tightened on my arm.

“Pay attention to me, Kay,” he snarled.

“Asher, stop. We’re in public. Let me go and watch the band.”

“I don’t care about this fucking band!” he screamed.

“We’ll talk about this later,” I said, trying and failing to pull my hand free again.

“I want to talk about it now!”

I had no idea how many drinks he had had before I got home, but it was looking to be way more than one. One of the band members strummed his guitar, distracting Ash long enough for me to pull my hand free. I turned and made my way to the bathroom and took refuge for a few minutes.

I ran my wrist under some cool water, trying to make it feel better. I sent Asher’s brother a text, asking him to come pick him up. I had put the keys in my purse when we got here so Asher didn’t lose them and I was silently thanking my lucky stars.

I walked slowly out of the bathroom, looking for Asher by the bar. Sure enough, he was ordering another round. He did keep his word and ordered me one too, but I didn’t want it anymore. I walked up to him, breathing deeply, trying to steady myself against his foul temper.

“Asher, Elias is on his way to pick you up. You’re drunk and I can’t deal with it right now.”

“You bitch! How could you? You can’t embarrass me like that!” he screamed.

“Ash, you’re doing an incredible job at embarrassing yourself. Please just calm down.”

“I will not calm down!”

There was a sudden searing pain across my left cheek. I didn’t even see it coming. God, it hurt so badly. I didn’t even try to stop the tears that came pouring out of my eyes. I no longer cared about my makeup or the show. I just wanted to go home and take a long bath and sleep until noon tomorrow.

I sent Elias another text asking him to take Asher to his place. I needed time to be alone. Asher had started to apologize, but I put up a hand, stopping him mid sentence. A security guard came over and escorted Asher out of the club.

I didn’t stop them.

A break in the music caught my attention and I turned toward the stage.
And then John started to speak, looking in my direction
♠ ♠ ♠
hello my beauties! Katie wrote this.

let us know what you think!

Comments and Recs are greatly appreciated.

ALSO, check out my new story Neighbors featuring the only person I ever write about.

Stay awesome y'all
x
Rachael